• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop for photoshop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok so I've been looking at laptops. What I was wondering is, can an intel gpu handle light photoshopping. By light I mean just touching up the color and such on raw files. My home server does this already, but looking at something I can have on hand when needed. The laptop I'm looking at has a intel quadcore and 4gigs of memory.

Yea, the quad core can handle it, but I'd probably see if you can order it with at least 8 GB of memory.

+1...it might be a little slow for the more intense RAW loading & editing due to the HDD, but it should be able to handle it no problem. You want as much RAM as you can get though; it will make the process a lot less painful.

Just ordered a Dell Inspiron 15 Intel I5, 6gigs ram 500gig HDD and touch screen. Also added a Logitech M525 mouse to make things a lil easier.

Edit: Is it better to have more memory or matched memory. Reason I ask is it comes with 1 4gig stick and 1 2gig stick. I can get another 4gigs for $40 at newegg or 4x2 for $86.

Last edited:
I have CS6 installed in HP Elitebook 9470m + i5-3427u + 8GB rams + 256GB SSD / runs just fine without hiccups.
To use photoshop smoothly on laptop, an external mouse is a must.

I've been thinking either 8gig or 16gigs. As for hard drive it's either a 7200 or SSD. Seems either hard drive would work great for photoshop, don't really need lightning quick boot ups and such. Might just stay with the 5400rpm 500gig.

EDIT: Damn just started looking at SSHDs as well.

Last edited:
If you order a laptop directly from Dell then I would suggest to take the HDD as is since they charge at ridiculous price for SSD upgrade. Buy an SSD offsite for less then clone the original HDD.
IMO, SSD is a must now a day for laptop. No need to worry about bumping, less heat, noiseless and also benefits big application like PS as well.

Just ordered 8gigs of G.SKILL Ripjaws. Going to take out the 2gig stick and see how things go with 12gigs of memory. If need me I'll get another 8gigs. Also order a Rogue Flashbender large kit.

Back