• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+sas Pcie 2.0 by LSI Logic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's essentially the same chipset. Check on eBay. You can find that model and others based around the same family of chip for less then $100.

Some more food for thought.
http://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2008-raid-controller-hba-information/

Thanks Mpegger
Your'food for thought' has actually opened another train of thought though. It happened when i saw this 'ASUS P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L Review' on the same page. I have always made servers using desktop components just because i was more familiar with them but this motherboard removes the need for a controller card and a processor to be bought. It will work particularily well with this case that i am looking at. http://www.amazon.com/NORCO-Mount-Hot-Swappable-Server-RPC-4224/dp/B00BQY3916.

This is a much better and cheaper choice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Rackabl...922983?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item4186c4dda7
[edit] Cheapest so far: http://unixsurplus.com/product/sgi-...d-bay-sas-sata-ssd-san-array-35-nas-jbod-good
They also put them up on eBay. Got one just the other day from them. Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet (still waiting on cable because of a wrong shipment I received), but the unit looks clean. [/edit]

The built in SAS expander means that you won't even need a 2nd card. The card you have now will support up to the full 16 drives that the case can hold. You just need the proper cable(s)/adapter to use it, but its nothing to worry about. Monoprice should have a 1 cable solution for cheap (it's where I got my cable), or you can get a adapter plate to make things look cleaner on your build.

Last edited:
This is a much better and cheaper choice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Rackabl...922983?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item4186c4dda7
[edit] Cheapest so far: http://unixsurplus.com/product/sgi-...d-bay-sas-sata-ssd-san-array-35-nas-jbod-good
They also put them up on eBay. Got one just the other day from them. Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet (still waiting on cable because of a wrong shipment I received), but the unit looks clean. [/edit]

The built in SAS expander means that you won't even need a 2nd card. The card you have now will support up to the full 16 drives that the case can hold. You just need the proper cable(s)/adapter to use it, but its nothing to worry about. Monoprice should have a 1 cable solution for cheap (it's where I got my cable), or you can get a adapter plate to make things look cleaner on your build.

Are you putting the other components (MB,PSU etc) in another rack mount unit?
What type of rack have you got?

Last edited:
That SGI unit is a self contained HDD array. So you need a separate PC in order to connect to it to control it, which is the Dell R710 I have and will be using with that unit.

Currently, I have no rack, and don't plan on getting one. I plan on building a wooden case for the entire setup, so that all the intake air is one side filtered, all the exhaust is on another side (so that I can direct the air out during summer), and the case will also double to quiet down the whole setup.

That SGI unit is a self contained HDD array. So you need a separate PC in order to connect to it to control it, which is the Dell R710 I have and will be using with that unit.

Currently, I have no rack, and don't plan on getting one. I plan on building a wooden case for the entire setup, so that all the intake air is one side filtered, all the exhaust is on another side (so that I can direct the air out during summer), and the case will also double to quiet down the whole setup.

How are you going to route the SAS cable? On the Dell R710, where is the SAS connecter? If it is on the MB, how do you get the cable from there to the front of the HDD array box. This is one aspect that puts me off a bit and that is that all HDDs will be at the mercy of that connector on the front. I am running SW Raid from Ubuntu. If that connector get disturbed, i will have to rebuild the array. There must be a neat way to organise this connection on professional servers but i just don't know it.

Correct. The SAS expander in that 16-bay one I linked is only SATA2, though the LSI card is SATA3 capable. Since I'm using this with HDDs and not SSDs, it's no big deal. You won't really find a better deal for that price either when it comes to a all in one multiple bay enclosure. Most SAS expanders alone, even on eBay, start at around $100. Then you gotta add the cables, and drive cage(s).

There are different ways to connect the LSI card to a SAS expander. There are single cable solutions as well as multiple connections (if you want a clean look from the PC to a JBOD box) to connect it. Just need to get the appropriate connectors on each end.

Correct. The SAS expander in that 16-bay one I linked is only SATA2, though the LSI card is SATA3 capable. Since I'm using this with HDDs and not SSDs, it's no big deal. You won't really find a better deal for that price either when it comes to a all in one multiple bay enclosure. Most SAS expanders alone, even on eBay, start at around $100. Then you gotta add the cables, and drive cage(s).

There are different ways to connect the LSI card to a SAS expander. There are single cable solutions as well as multiple connections (if you want a clean look from the PC to a JBOD box) to connect it. Just need to get the appropriate connectors on each end.

I just wish there was a neater/safer way of connecting them together. As far as i can see, you will plug the cable into the MB/controller card on the dell, take the cable out of a hole in the back plate, lay it on top of or underneath the server and then plug it into the front of the JBOD box where it will protrud by an inch or 2. Have i got this right, or is there another way?

You got it right. These were made to go into a server rack, which is normally much larger then the case itself, so cables protruding a couple of inches wouldn't get knocked around or bumped into.

Back