• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom II x4 965 to fx-8370 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quickbot

Registered
Hey all. Im still looking for a solution for my problem. So i upgraded to fx-8370 but my system randomly freeze up and only option to get it running again is hard restart. SO it happens randomly, last few days it freeze up like 1-2minutes after i turn it on, sometimes it freeze in planetside2, but mst times it happen at 0-1% load. It just freeze up without any beeps or anything.

I didnt reinstall windows when put in new cpu, can it be the problem? Only thing i could think of was a psu, but i have corsair rm750+80gold and i dont run multi gpu or any extra that would eat that much power, so im lost.

Plus yesterday i had a very wierd reading on cpuid. Under temperature where you have system/cpu/tmpin2 my temps doesnt go higher than 40C, after 3+hrs of gameplay but under AMD FX where is some package temperatures i had 128C at max, value 15C and min 10C.

Can anyone explain how the hell it can happen if cpu temp doesnt show more than 40C.

Do i really have to make a clean windows install to make my fx cpu work properly?
And no, i havne not OCd anything, just swaped cpus.

PS: My mobo is GA-990FXA-UD3 rev4

Last edited:
128C is a reading bug. No prob with that.

what is your motherboard model?

the freeze you get often means that the cpu voltage is too low at idle. Try disabling all the power saving options in bios and check if it still happens.

GA-990FXA-UD3 and could you tell me wich ones are power saving options? like cool and quiet? Or i should better google those?!

But thank you, ill try them out and get back here.

The options yu're looking for are C6 , C1E, Turbo, EPU and APM also enable HPC. But the system should run fine at stock without doing any of that. When you swapped CPUs did you clear the CMOS on the motherboard? If you didn't then you should do that first and try the CPU at defaults without changing any settings.

So before i put in new cpu, i unpluged from power, took out mobo batery and then swaped cpus. Or i had to do something else?

How long did you leave the battery out?

atleast 10minutes, but i think that you was right about voltages and somehow with turbo. In cpuid voltages jumping from .8ish to 1.4ish for the cpu. Only thing that i tryed and didnt work, turning off turbo mode, but all powersavers are enabled, so as soon as i get back home ill disable everything you mentioned.

You should also check your ram settings. Like I said before when everything is cleared to factory default that system should run fine. If it's not then we have to figure out why. I would try going to bios and set defaults with F5 or whatever your board uses and then run an Hour of P95 if it will.

You should also check your ram settings. Like I said before when everything is cleared to factory default that system should run fine. If it's not then we have to figure out why. I would try going to bios and set defaults with F5 or whatever your board uses and then run an Hour of P95 if it will.

ok started test atm, dont know what to do in prime, so i started with default settings without changing or clicking anything else than start :D Atleast now CPU VCORE in cpuid is much more stable. Now its value 1.344 min 1.224 max 1.416

So after this test ill do a bit of gaming for few hrs and then reply to here. Hopefully youll be right and with factory defaults it will be all great!

You should post up some info and I'm sure we could help you out. What we like to see is a shot of CPUz main, SPD and memory tabs along with HWmonitor free while P95 is running. When it come to P95 use the blend torture test.

I have to ask you to upload the pics direct , I'm at work and it won't let me access the files. This will also allow others in the future to see them as well. Just click on go advanced on the reply box and use the paperclip.

Hmm

Attachments

• test3.jpg
    test3.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 718
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 722
  • test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 726
Looks like you are running your 1600 mhz rated ram at 1333. I would change the Memory speed in bios to get a little better performance out of your RAM.

I wouldn't be surprised if the issues you were having were related to the Kingston ram. So lets set it up and see if we can get it to run correctly. Try the 11-12-11 @ 2133 profile but set 1.65v and I would also set 1.25v in bios for the CPU-NB. This should run it without too much issue. Then try P95 again and see how it goes.

That would be NBcore I assume since it's part of the CPU. The NB would be the chipset.

quickbot can you post a signature like Johan and I have, it's a lot easier for us to help you if we know everything that's in the rig without having to scroll up to previous threads, thanks.

That would be NBcore I assume since it's part of the CPU. The NB would be the chipset.

Ok did that all, did run prime for 40min and then played planetside2 for hours....im afraid to say it, but it does work :) Only now to get it, what was the problem?! Wrong timings for ram or not enough voltage for nb core? And then again, why phenom did work no problem on same setup but this fx-8370 had....

Anyways, thank you for so much help and patience with me, i really enjoy asking for help (not local forums) as all there are way too smart(they think so) to ansver simple man. So always end up being a object of an laught...even with question like this. Ill test more on weekend, when ill get back home from work, and will make signature too :)

Back