• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

second hand gpu msi 660ti gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr7777

Buying a used gpu msi gtx 660ti gaming is about a year and half old.
I want to know that how can I check the card to make sure its good also will my seasonic 520 watts bronze able to handle that card.
Sys config
Phenom x 6 1100t oc to3.8 ghz
8 gb ram
2 hdd 7200 rpm
No additional pci cards or anything.
He is offring me that card for 150$.

If it works and doesn't artifact, its good. No other way to check it outside of looking at physical damage.

Your PSU will be fine.

If it works and doesn't artifact, its good. No other way to check it outside of looking at physical damage.

Your PSU will be fine.

$150? Seems in the ballpark...

Actually it is a msi 660ti PE and about 3 yrs old , buy the way the card costs about 370 $ in india .. is it safe to buy 3 yrs old card.

Not sure age matters much... it works, or it doesn't. Again, there is no way to know until you test it.

I don't know used prices in India. What do used 280x go for there? My gut feeling is, you can do better.

New msi 280x costs about 450$
New asus costs about 400$
New sapphire costs 355$.
Unfortunately no used 280x

how can I test it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stress test it by looping a benchmark (3DMark Firestrike or Unigine Heaven or Unigine Valley)... or simply by using it as was mentioned earlier.

Everyone will have a different answer, but I say test it for an hour, then game on it as usual.

.. is it safe to buy 3 yrs old card.

I have a much older card on my secondary system. The most likely thing that could be wrong with it is either physical damage, like it was dropped, crushed, etc. or it overheated for some extended period of time - in either case, testing the card in a machine will tell you right away if there is any existing damage.

Make sure to check that the fans on the card work. Even if the card has overheated in the past, it can still work just fine, as it's designed to shut down at a certain level of heat (before any real damage is done).

its msi 660ti PE
by the way today I went to him to see the card , the physical state of the card was great , but he didn't allow me to do stress test because of lack of time but I ran few benchmarks and the card seemed to be ok.
one thing I noticed that he was using iball branded smps 600 watts for the last 2 yrs and before that he ran that card on a 450 watts smps dont know the brand of that .

one thing I noticed that he was using iball branded smps 600 watts for the last 2 yrs and before that he ran that card on a 450 watts smps dont know the brand of that .
What is your concern with that point?

Buy the thing and put it on a quality PSU. ;)

I didn't noticed but I have a strong feeling yhat the amps on the 12 volt rail is not sufficient to fullfill the cards needs and if it is so , then is there a chance that the card could have been damaged or reduced life .

Again, the chance of a 'brown out' is really slim...really. There was plenty of amperage available on the 12v rail to power a meager 660ti... but because it is older, it may not put out what it was rated to do so.

A lack of power shouldn't damage the card. :)

Back