• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Backwards Batteries Blow a Charger?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setotitan

This is a little off topic to computers, but I trust the hardware knowledge of this forum more than I do the Yahoo Answers.

I bought a small high powered flashlight, I’ve got a set of 3.7v 3000mAh batteries that I got brand new with a charger. My wife put one of the batteries into the charger backwards, meaning the positive side of the battery was on the negative terminal and vice versa. This was the first use of the new charger, and the fuse on the charger blew. In the past when I’ve used AA or AAA and put batteries in backwards they just don’t charge, but I don't know if the higher voltage is a factor. Being the charger was a new I can't tell if it was a defective charger or the incorrect battery position.

My question is, could having the batteries in the wrong way actually blow the charger?

3.7V sounds like Li-Po batteries, in which case, yes, the fuse should have blown to prevent a catastrophe with those types of batteries. Li-Po are very sensitive to voltages and too much power draw/input. Too low a voltage will kill the battery for good or worse. Too high a voltage, and the battery can go into a thermal "meltdown" and basically catch fire/explode. Li-Po are also rated to deliver only a certain amount of amperage per hour.

So basically a good battery pack, device, and/or charger will have various protection circuits to prevent the battery pack from getting too low a voltage, too high, or disconnect if too much amps are being pulled from the battery. The charger did it's job.

Just do a search for lipo fire on youtube, and enjoys the shows.

@Mpegger

Thanks for the quick informative response, exactly what I was looking for.. MILES better than the yahoo's answers ;)

Back