• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 970 vs 980

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timesavage

If givin the choice, which would you prefer/recommend. The 970 seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback at a great price. Thanks

The 970 would be my choice. I don't think the 10% increase is worth the $200 premium (per card!).
Unless you're benching of course ;)

Well, we are missing the needed information to make an informed decision... but driving blind, I would rather a single 970 or 980 for 1080p gaming.

That said, I see you have 3 670's already so... what are you gaming on?

For some reason my sig came up wrong. I now run a GTX 780 6gb. I sold two 670's for it. I just found out I sold the 780 for what I paid for it. So I am in a quandary. Was the 780 so bad *** I should have kept it or is moving to a 980 the right decision? I think I am going to wait for more 980 options to come out as well.

I am using an ASUS VE278Q monitor, and my rig is used for recording, video editing and gaming...not necessarily in that order. But more importantly, I love the building and options it brings, i.e. sli, water loops etc...

My Sig in my profile is correct but it come up wrong when I post??????? I am running a Devils Canyon @ 4.7 on a Formula VII Mobo

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that 2x GTX970 will be best option for gaming at high details and higher screen resolution. Single GTX970 performance is not much lower than GTX980 or at least not so big to pay the difference. 2x GTX970 should cost not much more than better/non-reference GTX980 while performance will be much higher.

I'm just not sure if you need two cards for single monitor setup but maybe you can use it for something.

For some reason my sig came up wrong. I now run a GTX 780 6gb. I sold two 670's for it. I just found out I sold the 780 for what I paid for it. So I am in a quandary. Was the 780 so bad *** I should have kept it or is moving to a 980 the right decision? I think I am going to wait for more 980 options to come out as well.

I am using an ASUS VE278Q monitor, and my rig is used for recording, video editing and gaming...not necessarily in that order. But more importantly, I love the building and options it brings, i.e. sli, water loops etc...

My Sig in my profile is correct but it come up wrong when I post??????? I am running a Devils Canyon @ 4.7 on a Formula VII Mobo
1080p? Single 970 or 980. No reason for more unless its for giggles. Since you have a 780 already, to make the move worth it (as a 780 can pound through any title now at a mere 1080p) go 980.

^ yes yes, but I don't think anything is worth upgrading a 780 @1080p unless the 980ti is out...

HA! I know it happened, but I just want to see the pictures...

It also would make me a bit nervous running it when something is borked. If a picture is posted, perhaps Bobnova would see the thread and let us know what it is for(?).

seems like the two x70 models are faster than the 0ne x80 model. at least for a couple generations now. I plan on multi monitors, and I think a 980/980ti. Its always interesting how they price point the x70 models to pose this very question in forums. Having the ability to purchase a little headroom out weighs the overkill factor, no such thing as future proof, but a little longevity is comforting.

What if what? I do not understand your question...

What i mean is that is it better to run two 970 on a resolution 1440p monitor or running one 980 on a resolution 1440p witch means the 2K monitors if i am not mistaken.

For resolutions greater than 1080P, SLI/CF is always a valid option. If you can swing the extra ~$100, go for the 970s (keeping in mind that you may run into the odd game or two which won't scale well).

Nice threadjack by the way, yousif. Barely caught that ;)

What i mean is that is it better to run two 970 on a resolution 1440p monitor or running one 980 on a resolution 1440p witch means the 2K monitors if i am not mistaken.
Im a proponent of single cards when they can and a single 980 on 2560x1440 (never heard it called 2K) is plenty. I run a 780ti which is a few % slower than a 980 at that same resolution and its runs everything like a dream.

But 'better'... sure 2 970's will get more FPS than a single 980...but is it 'better'? Is double the power consumption, double the heat to dissipate, and potential scaling issues really better when a single card is fine?

But yeah, this is someone else's thread... if there are more specific questions you may want to start your own thread. :)

With all do respect, Earthdog has more green stars than anybody, sooooooo I think your point is valid. I love sli from a build and tech side of things, but how much FPS do you need. If the card is killing it at 60 FPS, all is good. Thanks for your opinions and time, yo guys rock

Just a note, # of stars or their color mean little as far as technical knowledge... a new person could join and know quite a bit too! :)

Or someone could spam the forums with nonsense to increase their post count. We don't have any of those here, though... ;)

Back on target: I, too, would opt for a single card, especially at 1080P (probably even 1440P). I have a single 290 at 1440P and I can run everything at ~60FPS with only anti-aliasing turned down (to 2x). Granted, the 970 is about 10-15% better than my 290 and the 980, 10% more than that, so either of those would likely be fine, by itself, at that res.

Would I like to have 100 FPS (2x290s)? Sure. Is it necessary? Nope.

Or someone could spam the forums with nonsense to increase their post count. We don't have any of those here, though... ;)

Reminds me of DarrenP.....

I would go for a single 980 vs 2x970, not all games take advantage of sli, and if you want to go overkill, you can always get another 980.

Back