• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are (soon to be) released phones better than iPhone 6 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only real use of a removable battery is for resetting a hard lock because android devices do not have a hard reboot function due to soft buttons.

You're wrong. There's a hard reset of holding the lock button and volume down button.

Also, I've seen just as many iPhone users have battery issues as Android users.
It's all about how you charge your battery and how much you leave running in the background on your phone.

Also, I've seen just as many iPhone users have battery issues as Android users.
It's all about how you charge your battery and how much you leave running in the background on your phone.

iOS (unlike android) significantly restricts what functions in the background, significantly reducing the need to "clean up" through normal use.

I charge my iPhone when I'm home, and never have to touch it again, sometimes even for 2-3 days. If that isn't good enough battery life for a two year old phone, I don't know what is. I enjoy being able to show off my battery % to my android buddys I always have to lend my USB extension to to charge their devices constantly.

It's been almost 9 hours since my last charge, I've played 3 hours of clash of clans and I'm at 71% for the day with Wifi and Bluetooth enabled.

iOS (unlike android) significantly restricts what functions in the background, significantly reducing the need to "clean up" through normal use.

I charge my iPhone when I'm home, and never have to touch it again, sometimes even for 2-3 days. If that isn't good enough battery life for a two year old phone, I don't know what is. I enjoy being able to show off my battery % to my android buddys I always have to lend my USB extension to to charge their devices constantly.

It's been almost 9 hours since my last charge, I've played 3 hours of clash of clans and I'm at 71% for the day with Wifi and Bluetooth enabled.

There's still necessary cleanup of background processes on iOS though.

2-3 days isn't normal for you? If I'm below 70% when I go to bed (after taking the phone off the charger at 6:30AM) it's a sad day indeed.
Your "android buddys" obviously don't do research into which phones are good/bad if they need to charge that much.

It's been 13 hours since I took my phone off the charger today. I spent two hours on the phone, with normal to high amounts of web browsing/messaging on 4G and I'm just now at 74%.
Way higher usage than I see on a weekday.

2-3 days isn't normal for you? If I'm below 70% when I go to bed (after taking the phone off the charger at 6:30AM) it's a sad day indeed.
Your "android buddys" obviously don't do research into which phones are good/bad if they need to charge that much.

I guess the wide spread of the #1 android phones "aren't good", so what would you reccomend other than the S4, S5, Note series, Moto series?

And no, 2-3 days only happens when I don't actively play games, which since you aren't is pretty comparable. Clash of clans is pretty good at chewing up battery, but I only said that in my post, afterall.

I believe in a hundred years we won't fight anymore about iOS/Android because Ebola will have killed us all!

Heck, I lack sleep and mixed up a couple of threads...

The thing is , as Atminside mentioned, there are so many Android phones that it's difficult to compare.

And most users (either Apple or Android) are biaised, which does not help.

I used both and I (personnaly) prefer Android as soon as the phone performs well enough.

Honestly, who cares about benchmark when it comes to smartphones if they do what you need...

Honestly, who cares about benchmark when it comes to smartphones if they do what you need...

Exactly. 99% of use cases are either tailored to the current device making benchmarks 10000% irrelevant performance wise, it's 100% about the experience.

I'm partial to getting software updates, myself. Hand-off is a nice new addition to the list of things Android cannot do.

Hey, sorry for not looking at Anand there.
Anand lists astonishingly high results for iPhone 6 Plus battery.
I am not interested in "pushing" for personal preference, at all. I understand that this + version is different from regular iPhone 6. Why did Anand not post regular iPhone 6 benchmarks, or am I missing them somewhere? Is the + version a lot more expensive than regular, are competition's new phones comparatively as expensive as Apple?

To the poster above whose post I just saw: I don't know how you can fake a benchmark measuring battery life?

Hey, sorry for not looking at Anand there.
Anand lists astonishingly high results for iPhone 6 Plus battery.
I am not interested in "pushing" for personal preference, at all. I understand that this + version is different from regular iPhone 6. Why did Anand not post regular iPhone 6 benchmarks, or am I missing them somewhere? Is the + version a lot more expensive than regular, are competition's new phones comparatively as expensive as Apple?

The + is the same internals (CPU/Memory) as the 6, except they doubled the battery as it has more raw physical space to accomodate a bigger battery. It has a slightly different screen and different camera (OIS is now added). Being the same device with double the battery, Apple squeezes out some extreme battery life. The 6+ battery is still smaller than most android devices but is finally "close" enough to really show how well Apple optimizes power usage over Android.

6 benchmarks are in that link (and it is more competitive with phones similar in size.)

Most phones are generally around the same price at this day and age, and will vary depending on what plans your carrier of choice opts to subsidize with. Exceptions being enhanced storage versions of devices if you need excessive amounts of space like I do.

How do like the new Moto G Tim? 5" screen...You might have to wait a while for small screens to come back in vogue.:D

I was surprised by the 5 inch reference, I checked with Google and read an Engadget article on the 2nd gen Moto Gs. My Moto G is only maybe 4 months old but is a 4.7" gen 1. I gave my Nexus 4 to my wife, she needed an 'upgrade' badly, and this gave me an excuse to get new phone. ;). My Moto G is a bit more ergonomic at 4.3", but I still see the older 3.5" iPhones as being best. If I want to watch a movie then my 50" led tv in the living room is a better choice, imo.

Thanks for posting that other screen shot with 6 in it. So even the 6 not just 6+ has stellar battery performance?
That's impressive.
Can this thing be unscrewed easily and a new battery be put in, I think it's ridiculous that used to make people send in their iPhones just to swap out a battery, do they still do that?

The other thing is storage, I cannot believe that you are locked to 16GB of storage on the entry level iPhone. So there's nothing you can do to store more than 16GB on those? I carry a more data than that routinely...

Thanks for posting that other screen shot with 6 in it. So even the 6 not just 6+ has stellar battery performance?
That's impressive.
Can this thing be unscrewed easily and a new battery be put in, I think it's ridiculous that used to make people send in their iPhones just to swap out a battery, do they still do that?

The other thing is storage, I cannot believe that you are locked to 16GB of storage on the entry level iPhone. So there's nothing you can do to store more than 16GB on those? I carry a more data than that routinely...

iPhone 5 battery replacements are done in Apple stores. You shouldn't NEED to replace the battery though. it should easily last 2+ years while maintaining high % of original capacity. Apple batteries are extremely resilient over time in both the Phones, Tablets and Laptops.

iFixit gave it pretty solid repairability scores, but I would hesitate to trust any generic branded battery with a device that cycles and can strain such a large battery.

For storage, you can use icloud (iCloud is free) in combination with other cloud tools (dropbox, etc) for not only reliability, but ease of access between devices. If you need more space like I do, get the bigger device. I have a 64gb 6+ on the way simlpy because I have way too much music.

You need to define what data you have to carry and what backup methods you have. SD cards are a terrible way to use as a "backup", as they have an extremely high rate of failure and are extremely fragile.

All of my documents are stored remotely for backup/access between all of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, Desktop, public terminal) all of my music is stored locally.

Whatever I have on my computer, I treat it as if it doesn't exist, as if it can be lost at a moment's notice. I back things up on external storage.
To have my files at the mercy of a functioning internet and someone else's server - that's only good as an additional option.
I am very glad to hear that Apple is offering functional products, the battery results are amazing.

I suppose I can get around opening the case and replacing the battery, but lack of expandable storage is a major concern. Perhaps they can add that in the next generation and attract a lot more of us...

Battery life, the iPhone is one of the best if not superior to most phones. Benchmarks universally agree.
Picture/Video: With the 6 finally upgrading the camera again, android devices have lost what little edge they had and are quite comparable.
Removable storage is an archaic medium and design at this point. Most Android devices have abandoned it as well as google actively discouraging its use.
iPhone is the only one with a meaningfully useful and consistent fingerprint lock, there are I believe a few water resistant android devices.

RAM is irrelevent in comparing across OSs.

For your outdated batery life concerns:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/7

The 6+ is actually king of the hill at this point in time.
I do own and have owned many iphones, MBA, ipads...as well as Android devices. So I think I am impartial. I plan on getting the i6 for my daughter for Xmas.

The iphone is a very good camera...but my One+ records 4K video....and 120fps slo mo, and time lapse. ;)

Removable storage is not archaic, Google was trying to move away from it. That hasn't happened, The S5 and G3 both have it. Most camera's use it, the MBA uses it. I think you mentioned in another post that its unreliable, I have never had one fail...

and the last thing. Fingerprint lock is not all its cracked up to be. Most of the folks on the Apple podcasts find it to be a fail. They have it off. I personally would not digitize my fingerprint.

I am not arguing with you just try to be impartial and have true facts.

I have had 3 iphones fail. They are a great product with great support(If you pay for Apple Care) but their cloud storage(Free) isn't real useful if you have a 32GB phone. The pay storage is more expensive then Google Drive. I pay $1.99 a month for 100GB's on 2 of my Gmail accounts.

As far as battery...If you don't have to charge your phone at the end of the day then you don't use it much...I could kill any phone's battery in 14 hours with my normal usage. (Try watching Netflix for 4 hours, while using the phone as a hotspot.)

If I am away from a charger, I carry a battery pack, so does my daughter with her iphone 5. There is no shame in running your battery down. Brian Klug(Anand tech) would be the first to tell you the one thing that has had the slowest upgrades to them are batteries.

Last edited:
My girlfriend bought a LG G3 after she had a iphone 5 and she really doesnt miss anything from the iphone . also my flat mate had iphone 5S and he got before two weeks a oneplus one and he really loved it. Personally i think all current phones are nice . the thing that matters is how use your phone. If you like modding and make some changes and experimemts with your phone then u go android. Myself i have a LG G3 and I am very satisfied , I love it. And actually is the only phone that I had for 2 months already and still everyday I lpve it more and more.

The latest version of anything are always the improved version, right? I personally don't like iPhone because of its OS. I love to take pictures and before you can download your pics from the iPhone to your laptop you need to install first iTunes (I'm not a Mac user). That is why I prefer to use Samsung because it's easy to manage in terms of interface and features.

Back