• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are (soon to be) released phones better than iPhone 6 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
It's time consuming to sift through reviews to figure out which are legitimate, and which have been paid off, can you copy-paste or post actual facts on why other phones are "better than" iPhone 6?

I heard that battery life on iPhone 6 is 30% less than competition, storage may be considerably less, can you post things of that nature, or cite facts why iPhone 6 itself is better than its competition?

I am in the same position.

That said, its tough to do (my own) research when there is no information out on these soon to be released phones. Once they come out, you should (as well as I) be able to easily compare the information. Until then, I am not sure there is enough out there for us to hang your hat on.

Perhaps its also best to list phones you are interested in for comparison... a more focused approach, so that people helping you can do so efficiently. Then once they come out and we actually have facts to compare to, they will do it for you.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it compares to what I find. :)

Last edited:
Most of us find ourselves having a conversation with people we meet about the iPhone 6 they are getting.
I am looking to see if things have changed, is Apple still only releasing "cool" products or can they actually compete with features nowadays?
Its' been a long time since I checked, maybe things have changed?
Things used to be a lot clearer in the old days, this was the funniest one when iPhone came out: :)

To be fair it really isn't just the soon to be released phones that are better than the iPhone 6, it's already released phones that are better than it. The only thing that I have seen the iPhone 6 ahead of the game on is it's ability to bend.

From what is being said on macrumors.com it sounds like just about any phone is better than the iphone 6, and this from a large Apple enthusiast fanbase. There are allegations of ip6's getting 'bent' in users pockets, and the poorly timed release of IOS 8 has caused additional headaches.

A side by side comparision of the iphone 6 with say, the Galaxy S5 as well as other flagship phones is definately in order. I expect that Consumers Reports with eventually come out with such a review, in the next issue or so.

I'm hanging on to my Moto G and will sell it for a net profit when smaller screens come back into vogue.

;-)

I just got the iphone 6 (regular 4.7") and I'm coming from the google nexus 4, (before that I was iphone 4, and before that dumb phones).

The biggest advantage for me with the iphone is facetime and syncing in general with my family. I know you can do it with other phones, but it's just not simple and easy. With apple I feel like I'm paying a lot of money for the ios environment...I know I'm not getting much in terms of the hardware (I mean 200 bucks on contract for 16gb?)

If you're looking at features and don't need to be on ios for convienance, there's really no reason to get apple IMO. Apples SoC's are pretty good, but they're not the be all end all, many other phones are comparable and at cheaper prices.

To me this is much like mac's to pc's....I want control and features on a PC as well as low prices, I don't need to pay for expensive hardware and simpel features I don't need.

*EDIT* oh, the wave charging on the iphone 6 is awesome though....70 seconds in the microwave and I'm completely charged...I know android phones will get this feature soon, but for now apple is the leader.

I own an iPhone 5 (Daughters uses it) couple iPads around. I don't think of a phone as better or worse any more...there all really good.

I just don't like iOS. I used them for years and move to Android. I never enjoyed iTunes or Apples Eco system. We use Gmail, and Google Drive for both iOS and our Android phones.

I think its way more important to choose the Eco system.. IOS or Android.

Also my plans prices are much cheaper because I am not in contracts so where I can get a top of the line Android phone for $350 or less an unlocked iPhone 6 Pro with the same storage is (64GB) is $850 plus tax. I don't think the unlocked carrier free versions are out yet.

So from my perspective its easier to upgrade every year on Android.

Android doesn't suffer fools either...you need to know your way around. If my wife didn't have me she couldn't use one...With Apple you can pay extra for apple care and you can someone to hold your hand.

Last edited:
To be fair it really isn't just the soon to be released phones that are better than the iPhone 6, it's already released phones that are better than it. The only thing that I have seen the iPhone 6 ahead of the game on is it's ability to bend.

Please post numerical details proving what you are saying.

The thread topic is less about personal preferences, can you guys post some details, I'm sure I can find some after digging through search hits but if you already know, please post.

Last edited:
I understand I have to answer your question. I am sure there are a number of important features I would forget but just quickly off the top of my head, this is why asking for specs may not be crazy for people who are members of this forum, if not for our computer illiterate friends and family.:

• I think it is more than legitimate to address things like significant (30% or more) Battery Life differences in addition to the ability of being able to swap batteries and ease of charging them.
• Processor speed in relation to battery life.
• Resolution and quality of displayed images.
• Picture/video taking capabilities, most important of which is the end result (the quality of pictures and video).
• If we can on a whim, insert a microSD sd card, small or big, that's a micro removable hard drive right there that you can use to transfer everything from work data to entire movies or videos of your family. I understand that some phones do not have removable storage? I respect someone's "Experience" arguments, but not to be able to use removable physical storage would be a major handicap, wouldn't it?

• Features unique to a specific phone, be it water resistance out of the box, or finger print lock/unlock/purchase technology or similar.

• If one phone has twice as much RAM as the other one, that may be somewhat of a big deal when it comes to having a super-fast computing experience on it.

I don't know if that comment was a joke, but making a major purchase and not looking at specs is like buying the original iPhone which had major functionality drawbacks when compared to alternatives at the time.

You can find those facts online when the phones of the future come out... then supplement that information with people's subjective experiences here or perhaps a forum that covers phones too.

I understand I have to answer your question. I am sure there are a number of important features I would forget but just quickly off the top of my head, this is why asking for specs may not be crazy for people who are members of this forum, if not for our computer illiterate friends and family.:

• I think it is more than legitimate to address things like significant (30% or more) Battery Life differences in addition to the ability of being able to swap batteries and ease of charging them.
• Processor speed in relation to battery life.
• Picture/video taking capabilities, most important of which is the end result (the quality of pictures and video).
• If we can on a whim, insert a microSD sd card, small or big, that's a micro removable hard drive right there that you can use to transfer everything from work data to entire movies or videos of your family. I understand that some phones do not have removable storage? I respect someone's "Experience" arguments, but not to be able to use removable physical storage would be a major handicap, wouldn't it?

• Features unique to a specific phone, be it water resistance out of the box, or finger print lock/unlock/purchase technology or similar.

• If one phone has twice as much RAM as the other one, that may be somewhat of a big deal when it comes to having a super-fast computing experience on it.

I don't know if that comment was a joke, but making a major purchase and not looking at specs is like buying the original iPhone which had major functionality drawbacks when compared to alternatives at the time.
No my comment wasn't a joke. You didn't understand it.

You can not compare Apples to Android. You can compare the specs of iphones to iphones. Androids to Androids.

No amount of specs will get you an ios experience, no amount of specs will get you an Android experience!

So first you need to know what eco systen you like. After determining that, you can compare phone specs in that eco system.

The iphone can have better specs and speed in benchmarks and it does because its so close to the metal, using less RAM(Albeit faster). It also has the better camera.

These facts would never make me give up Android. I like the OS, the widgets, Google's eco sytem, Google now, Google's voice search, Google's navigation, Live wallpaper, lower cost, 4K video, etc.

My daughter and most all of her friends on the other hand would never switch to Android because of specs or for any reason.Apple has Facetime, imessage, camera, compatibility, with other Apple devices.

Every high end phone today has spec's high enough as to make them the least important thing to consider. This is what i am trying to point out.

Now if you are coming from flip phone and its your first entry into smart phones. You have no connection to ios or Google. I would still say to you find out which eco system you think you'll like and than choose the specs in that eco system.

If some of the things you mentioned are that important...
Removable Storage
Removable Battery

These are not even available on iphone.

Screen resolution is going to be close, even at 720P Apple does things with the resolution of the icons that make them higher res. It will make less of a difference when comparing to 1080P screens.

Battery life about equal. I use a battery pack...
Camera's....iphone wins, but it will always come down to the operator. The camera's on the best phones are all really good.

As in computers if you do not keep them tuned up...OS clean.
You'll lose any gain in speed, one Soc may have over another.

Thats another reason specs mean little.

I just think folks should look at buying phones from a different angle. It might be as important to look at the color or design of the phone rather than an Antutu benchmark. My wife's new One+ is 15K points higher on that benchmark than my Nexus 5. Its not any faster though, at least not that you could notice.

The last of your comments is telling. When the iphone came out there were no alternative. It was unique. Didn't buy one due to the major shortcoming's...No 3G, Price, 8GB of storage.

We are so far from that now. Its like picking a car, they all go way faster than you need to go, so you buy one that you like. One that has a radio that works best with either ios or Android. :)

Last edited:

I am a huge Android fan, In fact I own the N4 the i6 is compared to. its heavily weighted against the i6. The N4 camera was worse than an i4's camera, the most storage you could get was 16GB and the biggest shortcoming was it did not have LTE. Also it wasn't even available on America's biggest network(Verizon). Also they brag about Qi wireless charging, something the Nexus 6 doesn't appear to have. Sort of going backwards.

They should have made the comparison to an Samsung S3.:thup:

From what is being said on macrumors.com it sounds like just about any phone is better than the iphone 6, and this from a large Apple enthusiast fanbase. There are allegations of ip6's getting 'bent' in users pockets, and the poorly timed release of IOS 8 has caused additional headaches.

A side by side comparision of the iphone 6 with say, the Galaxy S5 as well as other flagship phones is definately in order. I expect that Consumers Reports with eventually come out with such a review, in the next issue or so.

I'm hanging on to my Moto G and will sell it for a net profit when smaller screens come back into vogue.

;-)
How do like the new Moto G Tim? 5" screen...You might have to wait a while for small screens to come back in vogue.:D

Battery life, the iPhone is one of the best if not superior to most phones. Benchmarks universally agree.
Picture/Video: With the 6 finally upgrading the camera again, android devices have lost what little edge they had and are quite comparable.
Removable storage is an archaic medium and design at this point. Most Android devices have abandoned it as well as google actively discouraging its use.
iPhone is the only one with a meaningfully useful and consistent fingerprint lock, there are I believe a few water resistant android devices.

RAM is irrelevent in comparing across OSs.

For your outdated batery life concerns:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review/7

The 6+ is actually king of the hill at this point in time.

Wow. I respectfully disagree that specs are meaningless and am not a "fan" of one or the other, so strictly sticking to measurable numbers, your claim that the Apple company made a product on which "benchmarks universally agree" has a (for example) longer battery life made me take a quick look on the previously posted comparison site.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-6,Samsung-Galaxy-S5/phones/8346,8202

They did not measure 4G talk time for whatever reason but their 3G time measured Apple to have 14 hours vs. 21 hours random popular competitor I clicked on, that is 50% less battery time (!) Apple has. That is a significant difference, I simply would not discount in favor of other conveniences, which could probably be overcome.

Can anyone else confirm that MicroSD cards are being "phased out" - that would be crazy, if anything removable storage capacities should be increasing.
If an Apple product has X amount of storage space you can't do anything about it. You're stuck.
Meanwhile you are not limited elsewhere as you can simply insert any MicroSD card you wish and there's your extra storage...

So I'm not sure why you would say that on the the battery and storage issues? Especially given that we apparently can *click* *click* insert a SPARE battery in a non-Apple product and have an unlimited battery power in that way.

Wow. I respectfully disagree that specs are meaningless and am not a "fan" of one or the other, so strictly sticking to measurable numbers, your claim that the Apple company made a product on which "benchmarks universally agree" has a (for example) longer battery life made me take a quick look on the previously posted comparison site.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-6,Samsung-Galaxy-S5/phones/8346,8202

But you conveniently ignored my link to Anands extremely thorough benchmarking that is very well documented and compares many phones? You don't even want to compare legitimate numbers you just want to iPhone bash.

So I'm not sure why you would say that on the the battery and storage issues? Especially given that we apparently can *click* *click* insert a SPARE battery in a non-Apple product and have an unlimited battery power in that way.

I have never, in my life, met a single person that actively carries a spare internal battery. For Laptop or Cell Phone. The only real use of a removable battery is for resetting a hard lock because android devices do not have a hard reboot function due to soft buttons.

Infact, just recently I saw a facebook post from an Android device user complaining about his battery no longer holding a charge and is just going to upgrade instead of buy a new phone because he isn't getting software updates.

Meanwhile, my iPhone 5 that is 2 years old now, still lasts 80-100% of it's original battery life, and my iPad2 runs iOS 8(from 2011).

Last edited:
Back