• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's todays performance equivelant of an i7-870 @ 3.9ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

Just been looking at a few prices and benchmarks, unfortunately I can only compare cpu performance like this ) and would like to know what todays' equivelant cpu would be to my socket 1156 i7-870. Trying to figure out whether it's time for a new mobo and cpu, or whether my 870, overclocked to 3.85, can hold its own for another 1 or 2 years with a decent video card.

An i7-4790K is going to be pretty close to twice as fast as your current CPU.

Can you list your full specs, upgrade budget, and what you're using your system for?
It'll help make an educated recommendation :)

Can you list your full specs, upgrade budget, and what you're using your system for?

Around $400, only need a cpu and motherboard (with at least 6 satas, hopefully 1 pci, but that doesn't seem likely nowadays!), I have ram, case etc. ATM I have a geforce 560 but a 760 is on its way to me - I realize that a radeon 280x is better value but I really need decent opengl drivers for a flight sim, a lot of people have run into problems with radeons.

I'll only be gaming, with a light amount of virtualdub. To me an i5-4690k sounds reasonable - I usually run games in 1280x720, all highest detail when possible, and I don't normally touch anti-aliasing or antiscropic filtering. I haven't really felt the need to upgrade as all games have run fairly well on this rig, at least up until Watch Dogs was only playable on medium settings.

For your use I'd get a 4690K, Z97 Extreme4, and a 1080p monitor :)
Not sure what Z97 boards have PCI, I believe they're all PCIe.

I don't believe any Z97 board has old school PCI slots. That interface is pretty much stone cold dead now.

I agree with ATMINSIDE. That's a good set of parts. If you feel like you need hyperthreading and 2MB extra cache, get the 4790K.
Either CPU, with a Hyper 212 heatsink and the ASRock extreme 4 will be a good combo.

I don't believe any Z97 board has old school PCI slots. That interface is pretty much stone cold dead now.

I agree with ATMINSIDE. That's a good set of parts. If you feel like you need hyperthreading and 2MB extra cache, get the 4790K.
Either CPU, with a Hyper 212 heatsink and the ASRock extreme 4 will be a good combo.

Would it be too simplistic to say "well, my i7 is overclocked by 30% so I can add 30% to the benchmark results against the 4690/4790"?

There are 65 hits on newegg when filtered by 9series Intel chipset and 1 pci slot. The cheapest z97 board is an msi z97-g55 sli with 3 pcie x16 slots and 1 pci slot that will be blocked if you use the second x16 pcie slot .

Edit: mobile newegg is stupid and there are 65 hits for 1 pci slot Intel boards and about 200 hits for 9 series chipsets, the list of boards that meet both criteria is more like 10-12 long. But they exist.

There are 65 hits on newegg when filtered by 9series Intel chipset and 1 pci slot. The cheapest z97 board is an msi z97-g55 sli with 3 pcie x16 slots and 1 pci slot that will be blocked if you use the second x16 pcie slot .

No big deal I guess, it's just a sound blaster x-fi that I'd have to live without. What worries me is mobos having all 1x pci-e's (aside from the video card one) as I have a capture card that fits in a 1x but performs much better in an 8x. Don't ask me why, but it's true.

No big deal I guess, it's just a sound blaster x-fi that I'd have to live without. What worries me is mobos having all 1x pci-e's (aside from the video card one) as I have a capture card that fits in a 1x but performs much better in an 8x. Don't ask me why, but it's true.

X-fi is pretty comparable to something like a Realtek 1150 (higher end current integrated chip). If you get a mobo with decent onboard, good audio caps and a seperated audio section, something like an X-fi is just redundant.

+1 about the new Realtek 1150

That's what's used on the Extreme4 that I recommended :)

If I'm right then some of these super audio chips have inside realtek anyway. At least last generation boards had or realtek or other similar chip. Also specification shows no big difference between these integrated audio cards. Main difference are caps and other stuff next to the audio codec.

PCI is connected via PCIe anyway but mainly cheaper boards have these slots. Most higher series have 3-4 pcie x16 setup and not much space for standard PCI slot especially when they also support M.2.

Back to the main question. If you are not playing much in latest games in max details then your CPU will be still good for a year or some more. This CPU performance is about like 8 threaded AMD@4GHz and people play all newer games on these AMD. In last year I was comparing i7 920 @3.8GHz to FX8120 @4GHZ and I saw no big difference.
4670/4690K would be best option for gaming right now but I think we will see new CPU series in about half year so if you don't really have to change it then I would get better graphics card and maybe bigger monitor.

Last edited:
4670/4690K would be best option for gaming right now but I think we will see new CPU series in about half year so if you don't really have to change it then I would get better graphics card and maybe bigger monitor.

Not sure I can go much bigger:

2150y0g.jpg

I'm getting a geforce 760 very soon, along with the i7-870 overclocked, I should be able to run anything at 1280x720, all highest settings (no AA and AF) right?

Why in the world are you worried about running 720p in this day and age?

1080p should be your minimum these days.

Why in the world are you worried about running 720p in this day and age?

1080p should be your minimum these days.

I guess I figure that there will be instances in a game where the framerate may drop to unacceptable levels at times at 1080p, so I settle with 720, hence never having to see it get below 30 or so. I'll certainly be seeing how far I can push this gtx 760 though.

Back