• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

home audio - speaker output to RCA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

ive for a long time had problems with my home entertainment system because of its dual receivers setup (one is for indoor, other for outdoor) and the main receiver is an expesive pile of crap Sony and the other is an ancient 30 year old. im trying to get the main to output to the slave and has been a huge issue because the main recievers preouts only output when the incoming signal is also analog. this mean if I watch TV, DVD, or Consoles using an HDMI or Optical signal, the preouts don't do anything. they only output if phono, CD, radio are used

long story short I think the only way to get them to work together all the time is to convert the speaker output to RCA. ive seen these 'line output converters' for car audio that are basically exactly what I need and there cheap. but I cant find any info if there usable for an 8 ohm speaker of home audio since car audio is usually 4ohm. every one I looked up has no specs to them other than max RMS watts it seems. are they useable?

this is along the lines of what I was thinking
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html?tp=2001

Those adapters might have issues with modern digital receivers, which often have a substantial amount of carrier frequency leakthrough. Buy the adapter from a store with a good return policy and just try it.

BTW, if it's a long run, you'll do better sending the audio at speaker voltage, then putting the adapter at the second receiver.

went to a car audio shop and picked one up cheap along with a 10" sub for my truck. talked to the owner about it and he also said to try direct speaker voltage to it if the converter doesn't work. might try and install it tonight. its a very short run, one standing on the other

Another trick is to connect the second set of speakers in *series* with the first and not have to use the second receiver at all. That, of course, only works if you plan on always playing the same content through both sets and don't need independent volume control.

we like volume control. also we don't want it to be playing outside whenever we watch tv. and out speakers draw a lot of watts and that would kill the output

it works. yay! now I don't have to run audio from main receiver to TV then back to outdoor receiver while having the TV on to listen to music! and all the other rigs I had to do

Back