• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Coming to a device near you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I dont think that i do care a OS performance because ultimately my hardware will need to solve and handle the condition in order to make a game playable. A OS is a interface in many terms but not the keeper of performance... so i have hard time understanding those "OS benchmarking". I rather would put an eye on usefulness when it comes to utility, custom, freedom, compatibility, support, security, cutting edge tech and so on... but raw performance is the last thing i care about, i let my hardware handle it. Else i could just slowly vanish from Overclockers, use a underpowered laptop and do my daily prayer in order to beg for a more peformant OS, but im not a believer of stuff that can be nailed down with hard maths... calculation is more use in that term. Thats just my own view and it can be considered supernatural or parascience, i dont care how many of people may agree or disagree, its simply my freedom of mind.

I have a quadruple boot. Windows 7/XP/8/Vista. Identical programs are installed on them.

I have first hand experience addressing the points you just made. While I would not abandon a perfectly working Windows 7, given an *equal* choice when buying an OS, Windows 8 is snappier in a way I can "feel". Nobody is telling you what you should do, but theoretically, the only way you can tell is by having multiple OS installed on the same hard drive with identical programs installed on them.

I guess SSD is the correct word... if you want to use slow hardware... sure every little thing may be of use.

Ultimately i work rather little inside "snappy interface territory", when i truly need every bit of performance its at raw application performance such as gaming, not so much "interface snapping". But SSD is a must... for any matter of snappyness. However, a big media center HTPC is not in need of snappy interface, it will need simply huge space and outstanding compatibility in any terms and hopefully not much noise. Stuff such as kacheling is worst case in my mind... it will need a very straigh forward and very clean interface. WIN 8 is a totaly overloaded hybrid in many terms and if i could i would tear that OS apart into useful und useless sentences and fragments... and tweak the bloated load out of the kacheling-wall. A console for example is always running with higher efficiency because its not bloated with stuff many users dont need.

Anyway.. next generation (Skylake) i will use a custom Archlinux for HTPC use, and pass on WIN for that matter, even if it means to have some difficulty with setup. I only need WIN for gaming purpose and i hope the destiny wont be to harsh on me... else it wont be fun at all using those new WIN systems. The final decision on how to handle the setups will be made when i have all the Skylake processors available, the next 1-2 years for "Gen Beta" use.

Last edited:
Saying the os doesn't have much to do with performance Is like saying aerodynamics on a car doesn't matter with how fast it can go...

Well.. my anti-aerodynamic truck may outpace your aerodynamic car in term its not "locked". Anyway... its your choice what to use, i wish you good luck with the new WIN (*loling at the back of you with many tears coming down*). ;)

Sure, someday i need a new WIN OS because the old one wont anymore support the newest supreme and unbeatable.. breath taking and all-beating Direct X super API, and so i will be a loyal WIN customer... even if i need to click 100 kacheling, create 10 accounts, pay 100 $, congratulate 100 devs and praise the unbeatable aerodynamics unseen on any other system. I hope Mantle may someday do the trick, so WIN isnt the only true gamer system,... but it will only work in term industry is supporting it.

Last edited:
Well.. my anti-aerodynamic truck may outpace your aerodynamic car in term its not "locked". Anyway... its your choice what to use, i wish you good luck with the new WIN (*loling at the back of you with many tears coming down*).

Are you on drugs?

If you dont get my saying i see little chance in order to make a move, im not as straight forward such as you, im more "philosophical". The term "on drugs" is typically for US but doesnt have much saying for me. Drugs is everything and still nothing but if you mean the typical term of "hard drugs", nope... i never used any of them ever. I think issue is "awareness", because in usual our way of thinking is way to automated and prejudiced, resulting into low understanding. But never mind me...!

Last edited:
If you dont get my saying i see little chance in order to make a move, im not as straight forward such as you, im more "philosophical". The term "on drugs" is typically for US but doesnt have much saying for me. Drugs is everything and still nothing but if you mean the typical term of "hard drugs", nope... i never used any of them ever. I think issue is "awareness", because in usual our way of thinking is way to automated and prejudiced, resulting into low understanding. But never mind me...!

Do you know what sarcasm is?

I guess it must be sarcasm asking me for drugs... but i dont know. Actually i was eating some super sweet almond pastries with lot of hard tempered tea and was loling hard so i could be on natural drugs.

Btw. Dont forget the sarcasm smilie: ;)
So the condition will always be clear. May be careful, not everyone is US and those words may be hard to translate into another format. Im just not sure the true meaning, it could mean so much and still nothing (i already told). It is a definition i never use because no value nor meaning to me. This language is probably used best in a teamspeak or phone... because voice matters. I never use words with such a high "chameleon issue". Usually when im not sure i try to be serious but never hostile... it may take out the wind of sails but its probably better than offending someone who had serious input in mind. I have lot of contact wirth people who may have serious issue in term someone is loling at the wrong spot.

Last edited:
Ehr... Excuse me, thank you.

My stuff isnt sarcastic? I dunno, i find it funny... a funny weirdness. Lets set a smilie to make it clear its rather entertaining value. Hilarious situation but actually fun.

Ah yeh... keep on topic.

Last edited:
In other news, Windows 10 is more aerodynamic than previous versions, but we should all be driving boats.

I like fluid dynamics as much as the next forum-goer, but back on topic please.

Black sheep is back on the track: For those who love aerodymanics so much there is no choice but to go with highest aerodynamics all the time, now the question is whats the topic about? Ah yeah... its in order to praise the aerodymaniacs i assume.

In other news, Windows 10 is more aerodynamic than previous versions, but we should all be driving boats.

I like fluid dynamics as much as the next forum-goer, but back on topic please.
Just in case the above was missed...I don't think there is soul here that wants to continue down this line of nonsense...

Black sheep is back on the track: For those who love aerodymanics so much there is no choice but to go with highest aerodynamics all the time, now the question is whats the topic about? Ah yeah... its in order to praise the aerodymaniacs i assume.

I had a boat once. It had a couple of windows on it too.

Last edited:
I note with the Win10 TP that the download and install was just over 4Gb when extracted/installed. Contrast that with 16Gb for a full Win7 episode. Not that the Win10 TP is full blown yet but it does run a PC effectively. Makes me wonder if the Coders are trying to trim out some of the bloat that had been building over the years/versions of Winderz development?

When announced on the BBC news they claimed they opted for win10 to distance it from the unpopular win8... They claimed win1 was in the favourite titles to signify it's a whole new amazing experience... But they decided nope because they had already used the win1 title :-/

I'm holding out for win14 personally :D

Let the bugs begin! \ :D / woop!

Install value is a hard cookie to track, all the installed data on my WIN 7 officially got a visible value of 27.7 GB size but the used space without user (custom) data is around 60 GB, going up and up... incredible bloating with data im unable to see. On the other hand WIN 10 is a work in progress, you cant be sure that the size is final.

Back