• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Coming to a device near you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I heard the same thing BB...

... though when was Windows1 used?

I asked myself the same question :shrug:
Maybe it never escaped the lab :D

Here's to marketing mojo :thup:

Edit: 28 years ago win1
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1.0

Set way back machine for 1985 :shock:

Incidentally they wanted to reclaim "windows one" to signify win10 unity with andriod devices promising better and more intuitive integration with dem droids :)

Last edited:
I haven't installed a VM of Windows 10, though I probably should. I'm hopeing that someone might already have this answer though.

Does Windows 10 non-server editions have MPIO built in, or a way to add it in easily (no hacks or workarounds)?

Rumors have it that Win 7 is upgradable to Win 10. I remember the horror stories concerning upgrading to Windows ME as an "add on" rather than clean install. At any rate, true or false, I'll be holding off from upgrading to Win 10 for at least six months. I want to read user comments first. Users are on the front line. They're the ones dealing with the myriad of problems and bugs that WILL crop up. Users are also the ones to develop the "work arounds". Overclockers will be my "go to" for Win 10 info just as it is for everything else. It's nice to have you guys watching my back.

If you are having problems with getting updates for WTP. run the following commands in command prompt as admin:

Code:
sfc/scannow

If you get an error somthing like this:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Then run this command:

Code:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then, you should see this:

The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

This does take a while to complete. When you run this command, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, it will hang on 20% and even 40%, that is normal.

This command also works on Win 8/8.1.

Additional comment:

There appears to be an issue running Windows Update. Multiple users on another forum are reporting the same problem. They as well as myself, getting the following error: 80072EFD. Normally this would be an issue with a third party firewall, but it is also happening with Windows Firewall.

Anyone else having the same problem, when running Windows Update?

You will need to restart after running the commands.

Last edited:
If you mean windows 10 update, so far mine has been working fine for 5-6 days since install, but just been a few updates, mostly defender. I can manually run it, no errors yet.

@rpjkw11, I would never update over an OS, I would do a clean install. Though, I have a 1gb ssd separate from my OS drive for all games, benchmarks, steam, pics, email, office software, so transferring everything to another OS including install only takes me 30 minutes or so.

I used 7 only since first beta came out and didnt have issues, if 10 runs smooth another week, will ditch 7, I want my better ssd for 10. So far only cpuz doesnt work with 10, and given it was bugged with 7, I can live without it.

bugged in general not os specific, ie 99.98 bus speed bug annoying for benching which isnt being fixed...unless you have a cpuz designed for your particular mobo/model or use an earlier cpuz that will have other issues.

and not having the vid "issue" convo again...so we will leave it at that :D

Hmm. Not a fan of the flat boxy style that metro has but I'm sure themes can change that :)

Might skip 9 and go to 10 from 7

Not even a free VNC app :( No to mention facebook is much better in a browser. The only selling point for Windows 10 is it's apps as far as I can see. They need to improve vastly.

I installed windows 10 as and update and as a clean I stall and so far I like it a lot more than 8.1. It has been running great for me. Haven't gotten to test bench scores against my 7 or 8.1 scores but hopefully be doing that this week.

Unless you didn't have a Classic Shell Start Button on Windows 8, can you post what makes you like Windows 10 more than Windows 8?

Unless you didn't have a Classic Shell Start Button on Windows 8, can you post what makes you like Windows 10 more than Windows 8?

On my part there are many things better. I do use the metro screen and have never touched the classic thing (the old start menu is too clunky IMO).

The 'new' start menu is good. It's a variation on the pinned items on the old start menus from XP etc, except it's prettier with things like resizing possible.

The UI desig is sooo much cleaner looking. No chunky even attempts at sleek borders on windos. It's just plain not there (the shadow effects really bring it out). I like the multiple desktop idea as well, but maybe needs a few tweaks on its accessibility to be truly useful (apparently drag and dropping exists but I never got it to do that) and the window snapping is massively improved over vista/7/8. Drag one to the side and it'll give you the choices of what you want on the other pane. I've never been bugged by this yet as I never seem to have the right windows showing in the first place.

Personally I've only found one issue. Shadowplay and GeForce experience. This is not supported and I only went back to 8.1 to record my gameplay. I missed some incredible pieces of action :(

On virtually every part it's just 'better' than 7/8/8.1.

And never let me review anything.

I love the new start menu layout and just the looks of windows 10 much better. I've always hated the way they switched up the start menu on windows 8 it's nice to have more of a classic start menu now.

Can the Charms bar easily and quickly be disabled on Windows 10 desktops?

The charms bar isn't on mine on my desktop pc. Not sure if there is a place to disable it or not but its not on mine

If you are running WTP in a VM, the only way to get the Charms bar to show is to press the Windows key + c, at least that has been my personal experience.

I don't think there is a way to disable the Charms Bar.

Additional comment:

sfc/scannow does not work properly in the Tech Preview. You will get an error something along these lines:

Code:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

This happens even on a fresh install.

Last edited:
It's not on a vm it's on one of my other ssd's right now but I will try that. Every time I shut down I get a memory error or something. I'll pay attention tomorrow and post up what it says.

That error is erroneous. It has been well documented on other forums. No need to crazy tracking it down, it is a know issue.

Back