• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Coming to a device near you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is the flash drive bootable?

Edit: Mimart got it and I didn't see the next page. I use Yumi Multiboot for this, FYI.

W 10 is not ready for a daily driver. If anything, one should be running it as a VM. I'm use VMware Player. If you have a spare HD, or if you create a partition, you should be good to go.

FYI, Avast does not work with W10, no surprise there, as it didn't work with the W8 Preview.

got it working. i had to boot into UEFI mode.

looks good. i know its beta, but i might actually run as my main OS on my main computer. im gonna buy it anyway once it comes out. did i mention that i just got a job as a directv contractor?

I'm running 10 TP as well. There will be a lot of compatibility issues with various programs so don't use it as a daily driver unless you're running bare bones and have a backup plan. I understand that some search hashes wind up pointing to win95 or win98 which is why MS skipped win9 in favor of using win10.

May get the WinTen TP and load it alongside Ubuntu on my laptop.

Well the big question is, will they follow through on their promise to make it free to Windows 8 license owners?
Two days before this thread was started, the President of Microsoft Indonesia said (leaked?) Microsoft plans to make it free to Windows 8 owners. That would be nice.

Well... it's for pain & suffering ninjacore :) That's the least they could do for those of us that went out and bought Windows 8 at the stores on the day of release and used Windows 8 for a whole month without Classic Shell.

I'm actually missing the start screen. (I know I can turn it back on)

Did you miss pressing keys when you had a touch screen phone for the first time?

Anyway, I like the super crisp windows, looks like a 1 pixel border. Soooo cleeeeeaaaan!

That was a cost decision, phone keyboards cost a lot more to make.
Hopefully future version of some Classic Metro Shell software will allow 'Metro-only on PC' users (the minority of all users) to disable the Start Button and disable the Start Menu if they so choose. But Microsoft should make both options available as default by choice, rendering the entire problem moot.

I don't think they will be entirely taking away Metro options, they are quite useful on touch screen and non-PC devices. Some people also like them on PC Desktop devices and it would be equally bad to take Metro away as it was to make it mandatory, instead of optional.

Had one fight to make something work. Battlefield 4. Forced it into windowed mode by editing the settings file, then changed to borderless at full screen resolution (because I couldn't remember what setting it was to type) and that works. Other than that, nothing has gone wrong. No errors.

Wondering about the additional desktops. How do I move an application from one to the other? Is there a setting to always open an application on an extra screen?

Task view makes for the same effective additional desktops if you're running one monitor. You can snap different apps to the corners and switch between them using the task view icon on the task bar near the Start button; similar to using Alt+tab.

For future reference:

Technical Preview expires on April 15, 2015

If you’re running Technical Preview, we'll send you notifications beginning on April 1, 2015 to remind you that it’s time to upgrade your PC to a newer version.

would they allow users to upgrade the same way they did with windows 8?

like upgrade to full retail without losing files and get to order a disc copy of windows 10.

would they allow users to upgrade the same way they did with windows 8?

like upgrade to full retail without losing files and get to order a disc copy of windows 10.

Possibly, we don't know yet. I prefer a fresh install over an upgrade. There have been people who have been able to an upgrade from 8.1 to 10 with a little trickery.

Been testing out Win10 in a very low spec VM for a couple of days now. (Athlon215 @ 3.7Ghz with 1.5GB RAM)

I must say even with such low resources it seems to be rather nippy.

I think the live tiles could be improved vastly, my Twitter tile does not seem to be "live" at all and the Facebook and News tiles don't seem to do a lot either.

Take the News tile for example, for me it's only displaying the top news story. Switching back between the story and a picture. I think it would be much better to say display the text of a story, then a pic before going to the next story.

Another thing I think would be great is to have a "Live dock". Being able to make part of the desktop a place where live tiles can be displayed. I can see this being great for multi-monitor setups. Working away on your main screen while live tiles update the weather, news and your social sites on another screen etc.

Overall I think Win10 is heading in the right direction. Would love to see more apps in the store, shame the mail or people tiles don't support google :(

I really hope WMC comes back in the final version too.

Back