• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Coming to a device near you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sept. 30, 2014
Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Operating Systems Group, announces Windows 10, Microsoft’s next-generation unified platform that adapts across a family of devices to the way people and organizations work.

Technical Preview for early pre-release testing, evaluation and feedback is available October 1.

All the complaints about Windows 8/9 are incompatible with Windows 10. Start recompiling.

Why'd they change from a name to a number?

Numbers make more sense. That way we definitely know X+1 is better than X. ;)

Going X to X+2 makes me think there's some X+1 monster which escaped from the lab and is lurking somewhere in a dark alley.

microsoft logic, use some weird number to throw everyone the hell off.
xbox - xbox360 - xbox one.
win 8 - win 8.1 - win 8.2? - win 10.

The nvidia one actually sense. Laptop GPUs were already 8xx so they wanted to unify both platforms' naming.

Last edited:
:shock:

These go to 11.

Nigel Tufnel:*The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi:*Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel:*Exactly.
Marty DiBergi:*Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel:*Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi:*I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel:*Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi:*Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel:*Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi:*Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel:*[pause] These go to eleven.

Attachments

• 11GoesTo11.jpg
    11GoesTo11.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 306
For those who want the W 10 Preview, you will need to signup at here, https://insider.windows.com/ even if you already an account.

I strongly suggest that you run it a VM, and that you have anything important backed up.

Additional comment:

It's available, now. :)

Last edited:
Back