• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Coming to a device near you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was looking around tonight on my 8.1 and 10 and couldn't find anything that would allow disabling unless I just clearly overlooked it.

There are conflicting reports so first of all, is the Charms Bar ON by default or not in Windows 10?

Mine is not on. But when I was doing some research on it, Microsoft stated that 10 will have a charms bar but it will be different than in 8/8.1

That is fine. As long as there is an easy Turn Off button for that nuisance, why take it away from people who like it...
...so you guys installed Windows 10 and it does not have Charms on at all or some installs do, some don't?

That is fine. As long as there is an easy Turn Off button for that nuisance, why take it away from people who like it...
...so you guys installed Windows 10 and it does not have Charms on at all or some installs do, some don't?

Thats what i'm saying. With the actual start menu now I will probably never use the Charms bar. I'm not sure about everyone else but I have no charms bar. I think a couple people said it was on theirs.

Found it. If you go to your Taskbar and start menu properties(or Taskbar and Navigation on 8.1), under the navigation tab it has the toggle for the charms bar. Worked both on my windows 10 as well as 8.1.

Yeah I disabled the Charms bar too. But I also just scuttled the entire Win10TP a couple of nights ago. I tried Folding with it amongst other tasks and got some task bar freezing. Folding was fine though. Once I got to messing with settings for the task bar and BIOS the OS became less responsive if not total freezing. I got a feeling of impending doom so will not be a beta guy for this installment any longer.

Maybe I'll try out 10.1 when it comes out.

There's little compelling reason for you to abandon your perfectly working Windows 7, but given an equal choice for a new system, both Windows 10 and [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] certainly seem like a better choice than Windows 7.

Classic Shell is free. It is so popular that imposter sites have popped up charging money for it, but the legitimate real download is 100% ad free.
It does NOT remove anything. It just gives you a choice, just a choice of Windows 7-looking user interface while still having the option to quickly switch to Metro. Had Microsoft simply incorporated Classic Shell into Windows 8.0 - people would not be making a choice to install Windows 7 and Windows 8 would have been a huge success. People would use Metro if they like and switch on the start menu if they don't. There would have been no discussion about Metro just like there is no discussion on which color is better - YOU JUST MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE. :)

This is the one true Classic Shell download link:
http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

You can always use the option to go to Metro with SHIFT + Start Menu Button. And then simply pressing Escape gets you back into Windows 7-looking user interface complete with whichever Start Button you want and whichever Start Menu you want (so it's actually better than Windows 7 because you have more choices to customize):

This is what you do:

ClassicShellCustom.jpg

ClassicShellDisableCharms.png

ClassicShellStartButtonImage.png

Then browse to this button file after saving it somewhere it won't get deleted:

ClassicShellWindows7.png

I've seen ads and things like that about it for a long time but never actually tried it out. I'll have to give it a shot next time I install 8.

OK I tried to build a VMWare Windows 10 VM and it got 50% into setting up the hardware and froze up. Reboot just made things worse.

VM Player 6, 20GB hard drive, 3GB RAM, using the win10.iso for the initial installation boot.

I'm using VMware Player 6, too. You might want to increase the disk space allotted for that machine. I have 60 GB with 2 GB of ram.

Back