• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780 SLI vs 980

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PSU? Case/fan setup?

Scientific purposes? Can you elaborate?
Gaming, what resolution?

I wouldn't get either for 1080p. A single 780 is just fine.

If you want to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, go for the 980 and sell your 780 to recoup some cash.

Any of the three cards discussed is more than enough for 1080P. 780 and 970 performance will be within 5-10% of one another. Bump up another 10% for the 980.

not saying this is what I would do, but on paper 2x 780's destroy the 980

At the cost of a lot of watt's , the other side of it have seen Asus 780 going for $ 306.00 on sale

In a few weeks may be below 300

I wouldn't get either for 1080p. A single 780 is just fine.

If you want to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, go for the 980 and sell your 780 to recoup some cash.
This.. I wouldn't go SLI... power consumption... noise, heat to dissipate, not proper scaling (i.e.. its never 2x, sits around 1.4-1.8x scaling so you never 'get what you pay for'). At 1080 with those two cards, you would want to overclock that CPU so the GPU's can stretch their legs.

EDIT: Looks like you did... enjoy!

This.. I wouldn't go SLI... power consumption... noise, heat to dissipate, not proper scaling (i.e.. its never 2x, sits around 1.4-1.8x scaling so you never 'get what you pay for'). At 1080 with those two cards, you would want to overclock that CPU so the GPU's can stretch their legs.

EDIT: Looks like you did... enjoy!

As long as the CPU doesn't bottleneck there shouldn't be a problem and therefore no need to overclock.

That's what I just said would happen. ;)

You will still get a significant increase with the CPU at stock, but at 1080p and that horsepower, the CPU would be holding the GPU's back.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1257&page=4

EDIT: Now, is it really going to matter at 1080p, no, it wont. But its like buying a Lambo and putting a governer on it. Sure it will go as fast as you need it, but you paid (a premium) to run it as fast as it will go...so not only do you lose a bit in scaling, you are losing more by not overclocking the CPU. Again, it won't matter FPS wise really, but its the principal of the purchase/its value diminishing.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Why did you pay ~$425 for a second 780? Why not sell your current 780 and get two 970s? About the same out of pocket and you have two, newer cards, consuming a ton less power, and holding their value a lot longer.

Mute point,

Sure the OP will enjoy his second 780

That will be enough HP for the foreseeable future

Indeed...a 'moot' point. However it is our duty as those 'in the know' to inform. ;)

Last edited:
He'll certainly enjoy it. I mainly pointed that out just in case someone else reads this and is facing a similar decision (or in case OP can still return the 780...).

Thing is: A freind was gonna buy my 780 but backed out (bought super expensive speakers for a party instead :screwy: ) and I was not happy with the horsepower of a single 780 so... It was either buy another one, or just lay the one I have to the side and buying a 980, but that's felt like such a waste. However yes, I could sell it to someone else still but the swedish used GPU markeet ain't big so it's not going to be easy to get it sold.

Indeed...a 'moot' point. However it is our duty as those 'in the know' to inform. ;)

:rofl:

Hope TOCN does not see this.

Agree on one hand, but the other wants to support the OP's decision as well.

He's got a rocking set up no matter how you slice it :)

Totally agree. He will have an awesome system regardless if he overclocks or not.

It comes down to personal preference. He preferred to use the older, more power hungry, potentially with more hassle (not good for a novice), and less bang for your buck choice by going SLI 780s, and that is OK. I wouldn't have made that decision... Hell... I have a single 780ti on 2560x1440... he can run circles around me with is setup... BUT, I spent hundreds less in the end.

Even after I make a purchase, I like to hear things like this so I can then moving forward, make more informed decisions. I may still make the same type of choice, but, I would sleep at night knowing the information was out there. You can lead the horse to water as they say... :)

Last edited:
Back