• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PC Gaming Worth It?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh hell. Stop trying to kill PC's. All that "technology" you have is based on what the PC can do and HAS been doing for years. Anything you can do on your mobile device or TV, the PC can do better. The fact that you can't take a PC with you wherever you go is the only downside, and boy, do you pay for it. I find it quite interesting that mobile devices are beginning to lean more towards PC capabilities. I just wish they had an ad blocking app. Oh wait, apps are going away too.

Consoles will never equal the capabilities of the PC as the platforms are so currently defined. Get that through your head. The way I see it, the new TV "app" capability will kill consoles...and you thought you hated Comcast now? Boy are you in for a surprise...mark my words.

The PC can be slow to adapt and is not a trendy thing by any means, but it can evolve/adapt and already has. It's just not spoon-fed to you via mass market advertising. The PC is way too powerful in its various ways to be subjugated by the latest trend.

The pc does have better graphics but i wouldn't say console graphics are bad/terrible in any way truly.
From the distance back that you should be watching a 50+ inch TV on the graphics on even a ps3 let alone ps4 and Xbone look pretty sweet really.
Obviously My HTPC on the same TV from the same distance back looks better but unless if flipped back and forth between them would i really know any better?

The reason i game on PC is because of the KBD/Mouse mostly , Along with sometimes i want to be in a Chair at my desk with my monitor right in front of me with proper posture when i'm feeling competitive and its tough to do that on a Couch with a coffee table. even with a Xim3 let alone a controler.

And then you have the Downloadable Games secondly which means i don't have to drive to town to get a game or the city if my local town doesn't have it which is quite often.

Consoles have certain Exclusives which is imho the only real reason to own one over playing the same game on PC.

You can hook your PS3 or PS4 controllers up to a HTPC with a solid GPU in it Quite easily if you prefer them for certain games like Batman Arkham City *etc*.

One thing you can usually count on at least for Consoles is the games are somewhat playable if you can buy them they have been tested and are usually in decent working order.

On PC you get alot of unoptimized games And unfinished junk that was just either ported over or was pc exclusive and under budget.

But on that same note , You get alot more game choices , Esp with Steam Offering Indy games and Free2Play's.

I also find on PC you have more chance at community and things like that.
Many PC users develop friends and stay connected with them when ever they are online or at the PC it becomes more social that way imho.

You can always do the Xim KBD/Mouse Thing for Console aswell so in the end its really up to what you prefer.

I have both and i have enjoyed both at times.

It used to be alot more of a Need for both before i got my HTPC setup I will admit now i just play those casual games with my ps3 controllers on the htpc , So now i only have ps3 & PS4 for exclusives which who knows what that will be like in the future But i don't see any God of war games for PC as of yet if you get my meaning and i loved those games.

If Your choosing between console and a PC id get a HTPC and have the best of both worlds.
Someone recently was making a wireless Lap table thing for Gaming KBD/Mouse users with 1ms latency hub on it i forget who i wanna say steelseries was something like that could likely bring me into the living room even more so vs desk/chair +24/27" monitor options.

I played massive amount of CoD and other games on the XB360. Beta on WoT for the XB360 version. Got to playing WoT on the PC and haven't turned on the XB360. Not interested in the XB1. I ahve upgraded from the sig system to a 'Man Portable' Elite 120 with i5 and R9 280. Water-cooled but this added 30% more FPS. Looking to build an i7 with an R9 290x next. Parts are in my computer room but I haven't stopped gaming long enough to buld!

I share my experience to say it is not uncommon for PC gamers to make the switch. Graphics, FPS. Great for a guy getting older who is not as nimble on the console controller as I was.

Good luck in formulating a platform. Have fun.

Wow, this has sure covered a lot of ground.
There’s no accounting for taste and that accounts for much of the value received from either PC or console gaming. I’ve played both over the years and find that the advantages vs. disadvantages actually change over time. This is a fleeting concept for the user in the sense that your (my) tastes in games, availability of time and/or money and friends has changed.
Once upon a time I’d play console games with my kids who are now grown and have kids of their own with which they share console gaming. My son and I also networked the house and played PC games against each other as well. Way back in time, just after the invention of fire and the wheel, I could share a DNS with a friend and remotely game with any friend as well. This is still do-able today, just at much higher bandwidth. Mario doesn’t send the thrill up my cortex the way it did 20+ years ago. And my knuckle joints ache after only short bouts with a console controller, about the same as playing a guitar which is so painful that I gave it up.
A mouse and keyboard are more comfortable, a few online friends with some odd hours to share, and a few spare bucks to keep the eye candy sizzling and all is well.

Back