• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build 8.1 or 8.1 pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MPSAN

Registered
Hello ALL:
It has been a while since I built my last systems and they still run 32 bit XP. Anyway I am looking at an ASUS Z97 Pro with 16GB 1866 memory and a 512GB SSD. I assume I can not actually buy 8.1.1 anyway, but that sure would be nice.

So what do I miss if I buy 64 bit 8.1? Pro costs more, but if I do not use it to connect to a workplace system, is there anything else I give up? Anyway, should I install 8.1 and do an 8.1.1 update, or continue with 8.1 and install the rest of my software?

Why would you personally need any of the Pro features listed here as extras in Pro, when freeware (better) alternatives are available:

Attachments

• Win8Pro.png
    Win8Pro.png
    19 KB · Views: 106
Media Player/Media Center were only available in Win 8 Pro , but I don't know if that holds true for 8.1. Or whether or not that matters to the OP. Perhaps wait for Win 10 , unless the free upgrade from Win 8 rumors are true ?

Media Center is not the same as Media Player.
Media Center displays TV guide and you can program it to record shows (TV Capture card and TV signal required)

Media Center was a $10 add-on for 8.0 both pro and non-pro. Is it still?
Microsoft was giving a free code for to early adopters of Win 8.0.

MS offered a coupon for Media Player for early adopters of Win 8 , but I thought Media Center and Media Player were part of the Pro package , which was a pricey upgrade. One of my wife's laptops has 8.1 and does include Media Player but no Media Center. That may be a peculiarity of the OEM package though.

Once again Media Player and Media Center are two different things.
Medic Center did not come with original 8.0. Player did.

Question is: are people buying latest version of Windows 8 today getting Center or not?

Well, I guess non-pro is OK for me. I hear that there is an ISO with the 8.1.1 updates in it. You still need your key, of course, but it would give you the updates without going thru that during install. The ISO does not seem to be available anywhere I look.

I know a year ago this worked for making an 8.1 ISO:
http://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-how-to-get-the-windows-81-iso-and-create-a-usb-install-stick

Using this way to activate it with your own key:
Windows 8.1 cannot be initially installed using your official retail Windows 8 key.

Use the following Microsoft-provided key
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
to initially install Windows 8.1 Professional.

After completing Windows 8.1 installation, change the Microsoft-provided installation key to your own Windows 8 key.

Right click on This PC > Change Product Key
or
Windows 8.1 Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Product Key

Do so from DOS Command Prompt using command:
slui 3

or

Method 1:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
In the search box, type Slui.exe 0x3
Tap or click the Slui.exe 0x3 icon
Type your product key in the Windows Activation window, and then click on Activate.

Method 2:
Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
Cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk 1-2-3

(where 1-2-3 is your product key)

Once again Media Player and Media Center are two different things.
Medic Center did not come with original 8.0. Player did.

Question is: are people buying latest version of Windows 8 today getting Center or not?

I thought the wording of my second post made clear I know that. If the search function were working for me I would reference the threads. I gave up on 8 when it was released and didn't get past the Developer's Preview. Regardless , it doesn't seem to be an issue for the OP.

W7 has a memory limitation, Home Premium to PRO. 32 to 64 I think.
W8.1 is similar,again, I think.
W8.1, from what I've read, will get "free" upgrade to W10.

Yes, I hope Microsoft offers a free upgrade to Win10 for us Win8 early adopters. Memory limitation of 128 GB on non-Pro will be hard to reach any time soon since most people today use 8 GB of RAM and there aren't that many single programs that can't be run comfortably on 32-Bit Windows where the limitation is less than 4GB rather than 128GB.

I gave up on 8 when it was released and didn't get past the Developer's Preview.
May I ask why did you give up on Windows 8 when it is the same as Windows 7 UI after Classic Shell is installed?

Well, I did find an 8.1 that had the update in it. I hope that means it is 8.1.1. Is there any way I can tell? I mean is there a file or file date where I can see if it is 8.1.1?

"Find"?
Where?
Just for anyone's information, installing an operating system is more risky than installing a program because spyware may already be injected into the operating system ISO.

FWIW W8 Microsoft store "aps" instead od programs is annoying.
W7 > amazon> kindle for computer> download
W8> amazon> kindle for computers >download> no can do > go to Microsoft Store > sign in > amazon kindle ap > find> download
What?
Somethings download, some are only available from MS.
Could be just me..

FWIW W8 Microsoft store "aps" instead od programs is annoying.
W7 > amazon> kindle for computer> download
W8> amazon> kindle for computers >download> no can do > go to Microsoft Store > sign in > amazon kindle ap > find> download
What?
Somethings download, some are only available from MS.
Could be just me..

NO, I still require a key...not a pirate ISO, but I was trying to get an install with 8.1.1 already there.

Also...good to see Waterbury here. I grew up in Hartford...even worked in Torrington!

Well I figured out how to do that for Windows 8.1 as detailed in post#10 of this thread. I ended up with an 8.1 ISO.
See if you can follow the same approach for update that followed 8.1 update, then post here if you succeed.

Grew up in Beacon Falls, college at Storrs, lived Mansfield, Willimantic, Beacon Falls, Waterbury.
Worked Danielson, Groton, Prospect, Cheshire, Waterbury. Know Torrington well.
Good to see progress.

Back