• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS X99-E WS vs ASUS Rampage V Extreme...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2133Mhz is generally cheaper than 2400/2666, etc, regardless of brand/kit. It just seems like a mismatch to me.
I'm derailing my own thread.

Nevermind..

More input on WS vs Rampage plz... can't decide but am leaning towards WS atm...
Last bit on the ram...

Unless you are benching, I wouldn't go above 2133 as it yields negligble returns in the vast majority of cases, particularly gaming. If you want to pay the slight premium for it...have at it. :)

Last bit on the ram...

Unless you are benching, I wouldn't go above 2133 as it yields negligble returns in the vast majority of cases, particularly gaming. If you want to pay the slight premium for it...have at it. :)

Again, I'm building this PC "Just because" and am going with high end components 100% unnecessarily, just because. This may be my last ever high end build and I want to go out with a bang. I'm going with bare minimum 2400Mhz RAM. Because you just can't brag about 2133.

I don't NEED this build. I want it. I want the experience of building with a motherboard that costs as much as a fridge and a GPU that costs as much as an even better fridge. Just because I can.

Witchdoctor-

I see you also like TastyPCTV. She knows a lot. Especially for a girl. Her videos are straight to the point with less than 1% rambling and going off topic. I like them a lot.
OC3D TV is better for total information value but that guy RAMBLES. He'll talk about his tea and biscuits and his dental problems for like 15 minutes.

It was mostly a case of that's what was in stock, along with some f*** those prices I'll wait a bit and get a better kit later. As ED mentioned, 2133 is plenty for everyday use so I don't mind waiting on some faster stuff. As was guessed, they are Micron chips, on Crucial branded sticks. Ugly looking things, really... No heat spreaders or any of that sexy stuff.

The whole kit is laying dormant on my desk for now, still rocking my 3930k and Big Bang. I got a dog of a CPU, it's really craptacular. I haven't seen a worse clocking 5960x on forums anywhere. It needs 1.45v @ 4.4GHz to be somewhat stable, forget about prime95. 4.5GHz is a no go at any voltage, tested up to 1.6v. Going to have to switch it out, I can't settle for less than 4.5GHz mentally. Here's hoping for better luck with the next silicon lottery!

I got a dog of a CPU, it's really craptacular. I haven't seen a worse clocking 5960x on forums anywhere. It needs 1.45v @ 4.4GHz to be somewhat stable, forget about prime95. 4.5GHz is a no go at any voltage, tested up to 1.6v. Going to have to switch it out, I can't settle for less than 4.5GHz mentally. Here's hoping for better luck with the next silicon lottery!

I feel your pain. My first 2600K was a total joke of an overclocker as well. I don't remember what I needed for 4.5Ghz but it was hiiiigh. Sold that mo-fo and replaced it with a better one. Got lucky enough to satisfy my ego on the second shot. My friend who I built a 2500K system for got lucky on the first go. Great overclocker. Sips voltage like it's a fine wine.

Again, I'm building this PC "Just because" and am going with high end components 100% unnecessarily, just because. This may be my last ever high end build and I want to go out with a bang. I'm going with bare minimum 2400Mhz RAM. Because you just can't brag about 2133.

I don't NEED this build. I want it. I want the experience of building with a motherboard that costs as much as a fridge and a GPU that costs as much as an even better fridge. Just because I can.

Witchdoctor-

I see you also like TastyPCTV. She knows a lot. Especially for a girl. Her videos are straight to the point with less than 1% rambling and going off topic. I like them a lot.
OC3D TV is better for total information value but that guy RAMBLES. He'll talk about his tea and biscuits and his dental problems for like 15 minutes.

I have almost the same feeling, i know im getting to end of the road as far as high end building is concerned. Which is why i want to opt for the WS board. On top of that, after 2 ROGs and some very disobedient bios's (In fact i had to down grade and re up grade my V gene last night, cos it was sticking to stock Turbo clocks, and refused to turn of that ugly LED strip) i am getting tired of the black and red theme, i never liked it, but i liked the motherboards. The WS is stylish, dark and elegant, as well a big rang of features. Forget the price, and look at it out right. Personally, im not looking to break land records when oc'ing, im not looking for subzero. I am looking for Stable +1ghz give or take, max temps in the 70s and the PCI-e lanes. That said, i am scared that LGA2011-3 is just a throw in solution before we get a new socket for the X chipsets, one of my worries. (Unsure how to put my concern down in text this time, hope it makes sense?)

As for TastyPCTV, this video was the first i saw of her ever. I saw the video the other day. I liked it, as you say, straight to the point. But still there are not running reviews, i mean, CPU in, booted, features tested, and so, and i cant help at wonder why? I like to watch Linus, he has a personal touch of madness that i enjoy, and a cardbox way of spelling out things, that doesnt move to much beyond my average understanding of what goes on.

It was mostly a case of that's what was in stock, along with some f*** those prices I'll wait a bit and get a better kit later. As ED mentioned, 2133 is plenty for everyday use so I don't mind waiting on some faster stuff. As was guessed, they are Micron chips, on Crucial branded sticks. Ugly looking things, really... No heat spreaders or any of that sexy stuff.

The whole kit is laying dormant on my desk for now, still rocking my 3930k and Big Bang. I got a dog of a CPU, it's really craptacular. I haven't seen a worse clocking 5960x on forums anywhere. It needs 1.45v @ 4.4GHz to be somewhat stable, forget about prime95. 4.5GHz is a no go at any voltage, tested up to 1.6v. Going to have to switch it out, I can't settle for less than 4.5GHz mentally. Here's hoping for better luck with the next silicon lottery!

The prices are stupid, i covered this in a thread in the Memory section, I am in the same boat as you, get the cheapo end now, use them until we have the better kits comes out, then sell em at a huge loss, since we know prices will drop. Maybe not fast, but they will, or will they, the Dollar is getting stronger everyday, im already seeing EVGA product prices skyrocket with every passing day.

Shame about you 5960X, can you not just return it, and buy a different one? I havnt even looked into how well these 3 chips OC, I just figured it couldnt be worse than the rest of the Haswell's. But no delid on the these, could mean issues? I havnt had a good overclocker since med i7 920, which did 4,4 without breaking a sweat, and for a 2,66ghz, i my eyes was great!

I feel your pain. My first 2600K was a total joke of an overclocker as well. I don't remember what I needed for 4.5Ghz but it was hiiiigh. Sold that mo-fo and replaced it with a better one. Got lucky enough to satisfy my ego on the second shot. My friend who I built a 2500K system for got lucky on the first go. Great overclocker. Sips voltage like it's a fine wine.

Dont know if my 2500K is a GREAT overclocker, but im throwing 1.440v at it, for 5ghz on water, and its solid as can be!

My oh my, the price just dropped 8% this morning for me, a full $50 cheaper for the WS. The price difference between RVE and WS is now only $135. I am leaning towards making a pre-order today. Do i dare wait and see if price goes down more?

Edit:

I have now ordered a WS. Now the wait begins.

Last edited:
My oh my, the price just dropped 8% this morning for me, a full $50 cheaper for the WS. The price difference between RVE and WS is now only $135. I am leaning towards making a pre-order today. Do i dare wait and see if price goes down more?

Edit:

I have now ordered a WS. Now the wait begins.

I too am leaning towards the WS... purchase time in 4 months.

Update- Now also considering Gigabyte G1 Gaming ($400). Obviously inferior power delivery, no PLX, but better quality PCB, better sound better networking...

Just to bring this board back up, the Asus X99-E WS.

The PLX chips are PEX8747, it doesnt serve any of us any good anymore. The latest board to come in, had manufacturing error left and right. I honestly think that Asus need to get their act together on this board. I have cancelled my order, and should be getting my X99S Sli Plus before the weekend, with a nice 5930K.

Please elaborate. Why are those chips no good?

I just ment knowing what they are doesnt serve us anygood. The chips them selves are fine, they have a latency of 100ns as the maximum, from what i read ram is at around 60ns latency, so its not that bad.

But since I already bought the X99S Sli Plus, and you are looking in other directions, that information is useless.

I would be far more worried about the build quality on them, which seems below Asus standards.

For that matter, the price on it has fallen from $711 to $592 here. But I have made up my mind now. This board is simply to risky to touch for now.

Its not that they are no good, its that they really only come into play with quadfire situations really. The latency it introduces makes it no better than native 8x PCIe. ;)

God damnit... So what board do I buy then? I feel totally lost.

Rampage Extreme 5? Gigabyte bla bla G1 Gaming? Other?
I'd like really good onboard sound and the latest high end Intel NIC on the board. Plan for 2 980's.
Speaking of 2 980s am I correct that w/5820K I will get 16X/8X for 2 GPUs on any board?

I'd like really good onboard sound and the latest high end Intel NIC on the board. Plan for 2 980's.
Speaking of 2 980s am I correct that w/5820K I will get 16X/8X for 2 GPUs on any board?

I cant speak for the motherboard, I ended up with the low end on the price scale. Most gamings boards will suit your needs. Heck, almost any board will suit your needs.

If your planning only 5820K its a shame. The 5820K is fine with the WS, but once you move below that, I would honestly use the money saved from the motherboard, and get the 5930K.

But thats me, i went for the 5930K.

With Gigabyte - http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/372/images/models.html.
If you look at the Gaming 7 or the G1 Your getting both intel and killer nic. On the UD's your getting just the Intel. As Earthdog said, get any, they are all good, and you dont notice any difference. Im still skeptical, but since those guys run a lot of boards and test them, they must have a point somewhere.

You would have to check hwo the mobo breaks down the lanes. Usually this information is found on their website for the board... if not in advertising, then in the manual you can download. But typically, with a 5820K, it is 16x/8x, yes. Its when you want to go tri you will see a 16x/8x/4x config with a 5820k on a board that does not have a PLX chip.

Now, this is me guessing here, but, I'm not convinced that the 4x will hurt in tri-fire at 4x either because of the generally poor scaling in the first place... but I could be way off on that.

Also, Intel, or Killer NIC are top notch. The Killer NIC gives you the ability for traffic shaping as well so that can help in games (giving priority to the game over anything else going on).

You are really in the same boat as Pierre honestly. You can get a lesser costing board, and upgrade to the 5930K to get all your NATIVE lanes instead of relying on a board to have a PLX chip for functionality you may/may not need.

Since you are still a skeptic... http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/23.html

I can't see any issue in PCIE 3.0 x8 slots. Really, I see no difference between results on x8 and x16. I see no point why anyone wish to pay 100% more for motherboard or 50% more for CPU only to get 1-3% in some tests/games on 2 graphics cards. It may change if you are loading all lanes on 4 graphics cards and additional stuff like RAID controllers or even larger integrated RAID ( everything is working on PCIE nowadays ). However I doubt that you will see any difference on 2/3 gfx cards and nothing else.

I don't think there are any desktop graphics cards that can use full bandwidth of PCIE x16. On workstation/server motherboards you usually need more PCIE x8 slots and most of these motherboards don't even have x16 slots. Additional PLX gives many more lanes that anyone can use and those who focus on high performance solutions are not buying desktop motherboards anyway and decide more on server stuff with 2 CPUs.

All X99 boards that I saw were using 8+8+8 or 8+8+4+4 PCIe with 5820K CPU. MSI X99S SLI won't run at 3 x16 anyway as 3rd slot is electrical x8 so no matter what CPU you pick it will work as 16+16+8+8 max. MSI could make it 16+8+16+8.

Back