• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS X99-E WS vs ASUS Rampage V Extreme...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
****** links are against the forum rules. Been that way for years unless they changed it.

As for sound quality differences, I can't hear any quality difference between the 1150 codec on my Asus deluxe and my soundblaster z with a pair of beyerdynamic st770pro 80ohms. But the sound blaster had a higher volume level, so probably a more powerful amp.

Edit: considering the acronym for Let Me Google That For You is still considered a filtered word I'm betting it's still against the rules.

I run an external amp for my Yamaha Speakers, and I have found a problem with the design on the ROG boards over all the other boards i have had.

When I turn on the pc, i get a loud pop from the speakers (includes headset) and also when i turn off, this happend with both my ROG boards, (Z77 V Gene/ Z87 Maximus)

I cant wait to see how the MSI will do, but it didnt happen with my AsRock motherboard. It doesnt happen when you dont use an amp.

I had the same on Gigabyte Z87/97 and ASRock A88X Extreme6+. On MSI X99 I wasn't even using audio and it went to rma so I won't check it now.

Dead BIOS ... actually both chips. One didn't want to work so I asked MSI how to make recovery as nothing was helping. They said how to fix it but didn't work and 2 days later 2nd BIOS died too. I only set 175MHz bclk and was enough.
If you won't push it to the limits then should be fine.

For some reason I haven't seen anyone recommending GB G1 boards. I saw some users complaining about them but hard to say if it's hardware or user issue. GB G1 boards look quite good but I had no chance to test any of them so I can't say much.

RVE is still not perfect but it's probably the best motherboard for overclocking. If you want to stick to about 4.5GHz max CPU clock then any X99 board will be good. If you want to compete in benchmarks then RVE is one of the best options on the market.
Even on RVE you have to use 125 strap to set memory above 2666. Some memory ratios are working, some not. x32 seem to work but I had no memory which could run at 3200+. Corsair memory with XMP 2800 is setting 2800 at 127.34 bclk automatically when XMP is enabled. It's not even checking if x28 is working ( it's not ).
I think that WS will act in the similar way.

The WS keeps dropping in price where i am...

I went back to the first post, to sort of get back on track here. You want high end.

Why not the Gigabyte GA-X99 SOC? or the highly praised MSI X99 Mpower?

Looks Asus also some how came up with 2 more motherboards. X99-Pro and X99-S , both with Crystal Sound.

EVGA X99 Classified or FTW? Even though i feel like the dropped the ball on USB 3.0 ports on those. But everyone is raving about them.

For you TOCN...... G1

cartoon-explain-teacher-long-winded.gif

Please explain why? :)
I need a reason for my purchase. Especially an expensive one like this.

The WS keeps dropping in price where i am...

I went back to the first post, to sort of get back on track here. You want high end.

Why not the Gigabyte GA-X99 SOC? or the highly praised MSI X99 Mpower?

Looks Asus also some how came up with 2 more motherboards. X99-Pro and X99-S , both with Crystal Sound.

EVGA X99 Classified or FTW? Even though i feel like the dropped the ball on USB 3.0 ports on those. But everyone is raving about them.

I don't like the sound implementation on the SOC force. They're not using good caps for the audio and it's just using an ALC1150. For that, I'll get the Rampage. I'm not a fan of MSI or EVGA stuff, personally. I think they both make sort of stupid designed motherboards. That's just my personal opinion. I'm only considering ASUS or Gigabyte atm.

As far as the X99 Mpower, it's using solid caps for audio (bleh) and the little flat caps after the mosfets do not, from what I have heard, have the same life expectancy as, say, nice 10K Japanese caps. Also, that SATA Express implementation along the bottom without a right angle connector is bonkers IMO.

normal_MSI-X99S-MPower_010.jpg

Last edited:
Please explain why?
For the same reason that the other person posted.

This isn't rocket science friend. You could pick out the best this that or the other thing and have it crap out on you. Make a choice, most any you make will be fine for your needs. :)

For the same reason that the other person posted.

This isn't rocket science friend. You could pick out the best this that or the other thing and have it crap out on you. Make a choice, most any you make will be fine for your needs. :)

I'm afraid to make a decision on my own because of the prices involved here. We're not talking about "affordable" $100-160 motherboards here. If we were, I'd just pick the one with the features I liked and run with it without asking for advice.

Adding to the problem is that my local retailer, who tends to have better prices than the Canadian Egg (when you factor everything in), does not give refunds/exchanges on high end equipment. Why? I don't know... but they don't. So I could buy a RVE for $500 CDN, have it crap out in 1 week or worse, be DOA, and have no recourse except RMA... and we all know how friendly ASUS is for RMA. They'd probably tell me there was a microscopic scratch on the board and that it was my fault and it would be like I'd set $500 on fire... This is not an easy decision for me. Luckily the next most expensive part, the CPU, is pretty much guaranteed to work as advertised (I've never heard of a DOA cpu)...

Sorry for being a stick in the mud in this thread but I just can't make up my mind... I was almost set on the WS but with so many people telling me it wasn't a good idea I sort of feel like I'm back to square 1 here... :(

If warranty/DOA concerns are that big of a deal to you then just get it from Newegg, can't be that big of a price difference.

Well, we led the horse to water... :)

Good luck !

I'm being thread-bandoned?
I didn't even feel like I got that much objective comparison and conversation done on the subject matter... but ok.

If warranty/DOA concerns are that big of a deal to you then just get it from Newegg, can't be that big of a price difference.

It's moderately significant price difference L.C. Also, couriers in Canada are all @rseh@ts and they drop packages and kick them and they always end up with holes in the box. You should have seen what happened to the Dell monitor I ordered back in 2008... Damn you purolator courier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back