• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS X99-E WS vs ASUS Rampage V Extreme...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Narrowing down my parts list for an epic X99/5820K build. I always go high end for motherboards. Why? Just 'cuzz. I know that's a stupid reason to buy a part, but quite honestly I'm building this PC because I want it, not because I need it, and, therefore, I'm spending like a drunken housewife that's gotten a hold of her husband's platinum card.

I've narrowed it down to ASUS' 2 highest end boards, the WS and Rampage 5. I'm leaning towards the WS because I plan to do multi GPU. At least 2, possibly 3, and the WS would allow 16/16/16 while the R5E would only allow 16/8 or 8/8/8 due to the 28 PCIE 3.0 lanes limit of the 5820K.

Please don't try to convince me to go 5930K as I see the WS as a better solution to getting more PCIE lanes than getting the higher end CPU.

What are the other advantages/disadvantages between these boards? I know the R5E has much better quality power delivery (not that I'll need it on AIO cooling) and it comes with the nifty OC tool thingy that you can install in a 5 1/4 bay.

I also understand the WS has 12K caps vs the 5E's 10K caps... Due to changing life situation, this may be my last high end build ever, and may be my last build period, at least for 5 years or so, so the mobo has to last.

I like the looks of the two boards equally, so that's not going to swing me one way or the other.

Thoughts? Please no "You can get away with an X99-A". I'm fully aware.

Thanks in advance!

ROG series have always better support and longer BIOS updates. Except that and maybe some overclocking options that you probably won't use anyway, I see no difference.

I mean that on paper there is a difference. In daily usage won't be anything special.
Since these CPUs are not overclocking much above 4.5GHz and for this clock you need any, even the cheapest X99 board, then I don't think that ROG board will help you with anything. WS is maybe better choice if you want to run more graphics cards, if not now then in the future.

For me it's no difference as most features are not really important, PLX is not making it much faster as there is little to no difference on PCIE x8 and x16 on current graphics cards and power delivery is about the same and won't matter too.
I would look at additional features that you may use now or in the future as for your needs both boards look almost the same. Board can have various magical technologies but if you won't use it then it doesn't matter.

Tbh if you will stick to air/water then I would get cheaper mobo and buy better monitor or one more graphics card. But that's me ...

Between those two boards, if you dont plan to do any sub zero benching, i would take the workstation. An extra pcie slot, all x16 physical, plx chips to supply bandwidth to all of them. It just leaves you with more flexibility for add in cards down the line.

I am considering the X99-E WS my self.

Heres where my interest falls.

The PLX/ PCIE lanes, so that i dont need an insane priced CPU to run 16x tri/quadfire, and only needing the 5820K to do so, huge advantage if you look at price of ROG + 5930K vs WS + 5820K, and the tiny difference between the 2 cpus. As for the rest of the features, if you want to overclock, then the ROG should be your aim.

I have read a bit the X99-E WS now, and so far, its not been trouble free. People are having big issues installing OS, issues with M.2 sata not being seen, one board died, and took 5960x with it.

There are teething problems here, which is actually making me reconsider whether or not to wait with this board a few months.

As said above, the ROG is Asus priority as far as Bios updates and that, because they know the gamers and overclockers are where they make the money on these heavy priced motherboards.

There are things to consider before jumping on this high priced piece of hardware. But if this is the last big build, then i would go WS aswell, but if you can, wait until the teething problems are solved.

Can you link me to these stories of the board dying and taking a Cpu with it and also not being able to install OS? Sounds like urgent reading for me.

It has been determined (I thought) the boards borking is a non issue... random issues of failed OS installations and M.2 slots disappearing are from one person that I saw (are there more? Is it a real problem or are we jumping on the "zOMG one person mentioned it lets worry" bandwagon)

That said, the bandwidth/PLX thing is only worth considering if you are going 3 cards. And at that point, you do need to consider a 5930K vs a reasonable board without it.

But since you are a baller without a cause, go ROG board!!!

Actually i didnt pay much attentin to if it was the same guy with all issues, but as i said in the pm, which of course you didnt see, i sent the link and wrote, It could be idiot users.

Since i have 2 weeks to wait anyway, im just gonna sit this one out for now, im fairly sure that im getting the WS board.

I would roll with the Rampage Extreme for the reasons given by Woomack.

These boards are 1st priority over at Asus for everything. BIOS Support, Tech Support and RMA support if the need would arise.

Bought a WS board once, never again

you simply can not go wrong with their flagship board if you don't mind shelling out

If you are looking at high end flagship boards I would not discount the X-Power, SOC and the OCF

These boards should be in the same conversation.

I would roll with the Rampage Extreme for the reasons given by Woomack.

These boards are 1st priority over at Asus for everything. BIOS Support, Tech Support and RMA support if the need would arise.

Bought a WS board once, never again

you simply can not go wrong with their flagship board if you don't mind shelling out

If you are looking at high end flagship boards I would not discount the X-Power, SOC and the OCF

These boards should be in the same conversation.

The problem to face with the WS, is that they also put this board up on a pedestal, they know it will be bought and used by gamers because of the lanes, they know it will be used by people crunching the heavy stuff. It has all the OC features your find on the ROG, and at the end of the day, it is a more expensive board. I have owned a WS board before, not Asus, but nothing to scare me away i must admit.

Simplified:

Choice # 1 = Shammy

Choice # 2 = Asus Team stuck with BIOS updates for the x99 platform

We dont even know what brand he has.

2133Mhz is generally cheaper than 2400/2666, etc, regardless of brand/kit. It just seems like a mismatch to me.
I'm derailing my own thread.

Nevermind..

More input on WS vs Rampage plz... can't decide but am leaning towards WS atm...

Back