• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 BSOD - New Hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi All,
I made a wee boo boo yesterday. I have been using integrated graphics for about a month as my 7970 pooped out on me. I got another 7970 yesterday and in my excitment, I swapped cards and booted up completly forgetting to uninstall the Intel graphics..I kinda assumed the new card would sit on top of the latested Catalyst drivers that were still installed. Result...BSOD when I boot into windows. I went back to the integrated graphics (shut off the pcie slot so only booting into the integrated graphics) hoping to uninstall the intel drivers, then turn on the pcie slot to try the amd card again. Still BSOD. I tried the repair option...no good. Best that would happen is I can get into windows for about a min or two before she crashes again. I tried repairing from the actual Win 7 install disk but it says the version is not compatible?!?! I tried safe mode but it would hang on the loading page for a very long time, over 5 minutes. I assumed the pc froze so I would reboot. I have a feeling that i'll need a clean install of win 7 the prob is....ahem...I have not backed up recently. I'd like to get into my my current OS to at least save as many files as I can before I do a reinstall. Suggestions, ideas?
Much thanks,
Puer

When I try safemode..itstopped at system32/drivers/classpnp.sys

If I were to re install Win7...is it possible to recover anything in my documents? In the past if I did not have a back up, i installed on a diff partition and went back in to the old partition to cherry pick the files I needed, in this case, I do not ahve an extra drive or partiton to sacrifice so reinstalling win 7 would mean a lot of work is lost. Suggestions? I'd like to at least get into windows for half an hour and rescue some work then re install win7.

Last edited:
Sure just pull the drive, and pop it into another computer or one of those docking station deals, and pull any date needed, the format and fresh install.

I found a new shortcut (new to me) to recover files. Go into repair mode, find the select a system image back up, choose select system image, go advanced, install a driver, click ok...then you have access to all your files, select copy and paste where you like. So before before the BSOD kicks in, I am finding new homes for all my docs.

Fixed it. Had to unplug the other HD's before I could set the partition in the Win 7 install. Win 7 is installed...no issues....recovered all the data I needed and immediately did a back up after all the drivers were installed. and....the video card works fine :)

Back