• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Folding Farm with 750Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2mbur2n

Hi there. I'm getting ready to build my GPU folding farm and wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly. I'm interested most in a good PPD/watt ratio. I'll be running Linux for maximum research capability. It may be better to run a single 980, but who doesn't want four graphics cards?

Here's my parts list:
Intel Core i3-4150 -- Efficient CPU which I won't be folding on, it's just here to run things for me
4x EVGA SC 750Ti -- New maxwell architecture is quite efficient and appears to be very good for folding
4GB Ram (2x2GB) -- I'll be using this PC for other things too, such as Internet browsing/light applications/occasional gaming
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB -- Cheap, fast, power efficient, and reliable
Seasonic 400 Watt 80+ Platinum Fanless -- Good solid power supply without going overkill

I'll have some Noctuas in an Antec Three Hundred Two case for maximum pwnage and minimum flashiness.

My questions for you are: Does this seem like the best use of money for folding and general efficiency? Is the weak processor going to have problems running four graphics cards? Is there anything else you recommend?

Thank you :)

The GTX 970 is your sweet spot for price/ppd/watt ratio right now, IIRC.

What motherboard is all this going on?

I'm looking at the ASRock Z97 OC Formual LGA 1150 Newegg.com

It has decent reviews and a nice three year warranty. Not to mention it can handle all four cards.

fine , 700watt . still 4 gpus on 1 board is going to require some power. 400 is too light.

The GPUs use 60W each.
The CPU uses 50W.
The SSD/RAM/Mobo might use 40W together.

I'd trust a Seasonic 400W all day long.

Back