• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hwbot rev6: OC-eSports.io - What are your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
After months of preparation and hard work, the HWBOT team is incredibly happy to finally introduce OC-ESPORTS.io, a completely new platform for competitive overclocking. Better known under its working title of Revision6 (or #revision6 for the social media adepts), this new platform focuses completely on the competitive side of overclocking. With our in-house competition structure known as Road To Pro, we create a divisional structure where any type of overclocker can find a place to compete and excel. The platform allows for partners to set up their own competition series too and combining the Road To Pro, the online and live competitions we build a Global Seasonal Leaderboard for competitive overclocking. Without further ado, let’s have a look at some of the main features!

To Put Things In Perspective, A Historical Overview of Competitive Overclocking
First things first. Let’s explain how this new platform came about by putting it in its historical context. On the right hand side you can find an image explaining the evolution of overclocking.

Everything begins with an individual overclocking purely for its own benefit and entertainment. As most of the overclockers today, the goal is only to increase the performance of its own system for example to get better gaming performance. As the individual may run in to some problems or want to share their experience, he will join a discussion board or forum and start participating in the community. He can open a thread showing his own overclock or ask others how to improve further. As the community of overclockers grows, forum administrators see the need of hosting benchmark specific forum threads where everyone can share their benchmark result. Usually you can find a leaderboard ranking in the opening post which is updated manually.

The next step are the external leaderboards. Organizations which span across forums and communities keep track of the best overclocking results around the web. Prime examples are Bunny’s Workshop SuperPI ranking, the Futuremark ORB, Ripping.org and of course the website you are reading this article on. From that point forward, our evolution becomes much more HWBOT focused. In 2006 HWBOT released the concept of Overclocking Leagues in which we rank overclockers by merit across various benchmark applications by the sum of obtained HWBoints, a point algorithm concept conceptualized by Mtzki. The League is a concept that links benchmark leaderboards together. In the next step, we see the rise of the time-constraint overclocking competitions. The competitions are a form of the League concept, only limited in time and with a smaller selection of benchmarks and hardware.

The next step is as evident as it is simple: as competitions offer an exciting style of overclocking where your overclocking abilities are not only measured by the benchmark result, but also by the time you are able to achieve it in, it makes sense to build a structure for it. We call this structure the OC Esports.

The Difference Between HWBOT.org and OC-ESPORTS.io
Before we continue, let me emphasize that nothing will change on the HWBOT.org website. The only change you will notice is that, from January 1 2015, all competitions will link to the OC-ESPORTS.io platform. Both sites run on the same database using the same back-end, which means that submitting a result on the OC-Esports site will also appear in the HWBOT benchmark rankings.

In essence you can look at it this way: we separate the competitive from the statistical overclocking. Everything related to the pure overclocking will continue to be hosted on the HWBOT.org platform. This includes benchmark rankings, the leagues and so on. Everything related to competitive overclocking moves to the new OC-ESPORTS.io platform. This includes mainly the content you can find under the Competitions section.

The platform launches today in beta form and will officially start its first overclocking season on January 1st, 2015. During the beta phase you can enjoy a test round of the Road To Pro Challenger Divisions and let us know all the bugs and issues we can fix before the start in January!

http://hwbot.org/news/11389_introdu...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=ocesports_launch

I think that all got mail with this info.
So far website runs terribly slow and I see all this idea as a step backward ( like most new revisions of hwbot ). Nice that they made dedicated website for competitions but it makes even bigger gap between extreme/sponsored overclockers and all others who enjoy benching but are not doing it everyday.
This website is dedicated mainly for competitions and "pro" league. If you take a closer look at all competitions ( except team cup ) then almost only pro league members and maybe 20 others are participating. Simply it's like a website for 100-150 overclockers from 50k+ listed on hwbot.
Each year there is less real overclockers and all is moving to the promotion of more expensive hardware.

Have you seen last pro league stage ? ... not even all teams posted any results. Before that I posted result on a stock clocked pentium and I had 5th place or something. They can't motivate people to take part in some competitions and they make separate website for that. Not to mention competitions where you have to buy ASUS/MSI/GB board to have a chance to win the same board. I'm not sure how to comment that.

Last edited:
Makes no difference to me
I just bench for the fun of it

Never did any of the competitions

Just another push from their supporting manufactures if you ask me

But who knows how it will play out, they will have something for everyone

Seems OK to me. Hopefully, the divisions are varied enough for whichever hardware everyone has. I don't see details on what each division is. It seems like it should encourage a bit more activity.

Back