• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cosmos II and Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlleyCat

I plan to purchase a Cosmos II case and install a Noctua D-15 air cooling unit. At the same time I was thinking of replacing some of the case stock fans with Noctua NF-F12's for quality and noise reasons. However, I have read that the Noctua NF-F12 fans come with a four pin connector that is incompatible with the three pin fan wires found inside the case. If I want to use the case's fan control system am I precluded from using the Noctua fans? Or is there a way to use the Noctua fans with the case controller?

Second question please. The motherboard is going to be the Asus X-99 Deluxe with seven fan headers. Is it preferable to hook all my fans to the motherboard headers and control them through the Asus motherboard's software and bypass the case fan controller altogether?

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure on the first...but if its a 3 pin and therefore voltage controlled, it will not control via PWM (4 pin).

...but the second question, its up to you. Its a preference (assuming the motherboard can control by voltage - refer to the manual as I am not sure).

Why such a high end board? Are there features on it you will use that are not on other boards?

Please excuse the delay in posting a reply. I settled on the Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard because I feel this board will give me many years of service, even with the inevitable upgrades that might take place in the future. I think the board has a rich set of features and, at least from my research, has compiled a lot of favorable reviews. Addtionally, from a personal perspective, I hate to skimp on key components and later regret my purchase because some feature I might come to want was unavailable to me.

Back