• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

purchasing 144 hz monitor, advice please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

Im purchasing a 144 hz monitor. I have an i5 4690k, GTX 580 and GTX 750 ti(Stated that because i think it may have Gsync but i have no idea what Gsync is) 4 GB 1600 memory, samsung evo 840, WD black 500 GB, basic motherboard.

Now, when i owned my benq 2 years ago there wasnt many to choose from. I am using this STRICTLY for counterstrike GO and was wondering if you guys could explain to me which monitor would be the best for me to order, and what exactly all this new technology is. The 750 ti or the GTX 580, also? I have the windforce version and the EVGA SC version with no 6 pin adapter. Please any input would be great and if anyone has a 144 HZ monitor, I am willing to give them a spare pc that will game pretty solid, and a monitor just for a 144 HZ.. But thats besides the point. Which monitor do i want? Thank you and your input will be much appreciated.

From what I've read this is a pretty good 144Mhz Monitor for a 24" model. Though, you may be a bit lacking in the Vram department with either Gpu you have all depending on the game. For Counterstrike you should be fine, as it doesn't seem to be a very demanding game graphically.

If performance is what you are after, grab the GTX580, it is simply that much better in games.

As far as monitors go, you have a few choices here dependent on budget. My highest recommendation though is for the ASUS VG248QE or BenQ XL2411. You really won't go wrong with either one, my personal preference after owning both would be the ASUS though, completely personal preference.

I owned the benq xl2420 TE and i loved it.. Im scared to go asus. I can pretty much get any of them. Benq used to be much more than 280$.. Im curious about the "cheap" benq... I might just get a benq because its a benq, and also the ASUS seems to have been the same monitor on sale for 2+ years, unless the model names are just similar.. Ill just wait for a pro to come in here and give me advice.. yeah, I play CS on low quality.. You just need the 144 hz, its that much of an advantage.. lost about 20% of my kd ratio when i got rid of my benq.. Worst mistake of my life. But at least now i have this AMAZING INTEL!!!!!!!!! NO MORE PUTTING UP WITH AMD's BULLCRAP!! I had EVERY AMD processor over the past 4 years, and yes i mean every... you name it, ive owned it. I could just never afford intel.. Until I was able to buy the number 1 i5 PLUS a motherboard for 220$ out the door.. I was almost in tears when i got it. but as for amd vs intel. ALL my amds NEVER touched 200 FPS in Counterstrike.. This Intel NEVER drops below 250.. Always at 300. Its for real so much better than AMD that AMD shouldnt be able to sell products. I had NO clue the difference was this obvious.

Also, I have 2 GTX 750 TIs, and the 580. When I used AMD, I couldnt notice whether I had a GTX 580 in or a gtx 750.. because AMD BOTTLENECKS EVERYTHING. im even using this entry level motherboard and I dont even feel the need to get a different one.. Im able to return this and get a new one. Do you think ill be fine with this, or should I spend 50$ on an upgrade? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128693&cm_re=h81m-h-_-13-128-693-_-Product

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully others chime in before, but you have a solid choice by two people already...remember, its a forum, not an IRC chat room full of experts waiting to chime in any second! :)

I have somewhat extensive experience in the 144Hz area as far as gaming and such are concerned (along with several other monitors), as I said, the BenQ or ASUS are fine. A BenQ XL2411T/Z should offer slightly better colors once properly calibrated (preferably with a Spyder calibration unit) than the ASUS, but ASUS is no slouch and offers better "out of box" colors.

I've owned the majority of the 144Hz monitors on the market aside from the RoG Swift, and as far as 1080p goes, you really CANNOT go wrong with the BenQ or ASUS, both are well known and have a good reputation in the TN market. Keeping in mind BenQ needed to drop their prices to compete with ASUS's vastly similar product, a while back the BenQ panels were $100+ more than the VG248QE..... That changed and they dropped their prices and had to stop gouging customers when they saw ASUS was doing so well with a product identical to their own at a far lower price.

If you want to go the BenQ route with a XL2411, I say do it, it's a superb monitor. You seem to be more BenQ bias, so go with them, it's not like either one is an inferior product, ASUS and BenQ offer a nearly identical product.

Amazon said:
Judging from my own monitor and the Blur Busters forums, all XL2411Z monitors sold by Amazon have the V2 firmware.

Enjoy the new monitor :) You should be pleased indeed if you are after 100+ Hz glory.

Back