• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to Upgrade CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

My current set-up (in my signature) uses the GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H-B3 and an i5-2500K CPU. I'm looking at potentially upgrading to an i5-3570K for $189.99.

Do you think it's worth it or should I work towards building something new with a new board/CPU combo altogether?

Is the jump from the i5-2500K to the i5-3570K worth the money?

Is the jump from the i5-2500K to the i5-3570K worth the money?
Nope.

Ask yourself this. Is 5-10% performance increase over your current CPU worth $190?

Build new... wait for broadwell in 2015.

IMHO, the increase in performance isn't high enough to offset the $189 cost of the new chip. I suppose you could always try to sell the old chip and recoup some of the money for it.

**Edit - ED beat me to it.

Bump the 2500K up to ~4.5GHz till you're ready to upgrade instead of buying a different chip if you want a performance boost :thup:

I'll definitely look into OCing my current chip. The whole thing stays pretty cool with my H100 even running it on low fan speeds. I'll check that out, thanks!

You have an H100 and you aren't overclocked?

Seriously, overclock it. 2500K overclocks high (usually) and doesn't run very hot. 4.8Ghz should be possible with the H100 if your CPU is willing to do it at 1.44V or less and you would still get very respectable temperatures. I had my 2600K, which runs hotter, at 1.44V on an NHD14, which is an inferior performing cooler to what you have.

If you don't know how to overclock your chip, check this out:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...Beginners-How-to-set-your-25-6-700K-to-4-5Ghz

It's my sloppy, poorly written guide to getting 4.5Ghz. It's usually pretty easy and you don't have to tweak much to get there. 4.7Ghz and higher will require more fine tuning, but should be possible unless you got a poopy 2500K.

Back