• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4690K vs Xeon E3 1231

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

So, the Xeon has Hyper Threading, so it strikes me as more or less an i7 without the iGPU.

The Xeon is only about $20-30 more than the unlocked i5.

So, would it make more sense to get an H97 motherboard with a Xeon, or a Z97 board with an i5 K? Is the hyper threading a big advantage? I won't be using the iGPU at all, and this will be going into a low power Mini ITX build, so less heat is better, too.

I am guessing the Xeons are locked, right?

Thoughts?
Tyerker

Yes, Xeon chips are locked.

Intended use is gaming?
Get the i5 and OC it.

Intended use of multi-core applications?
Xeon.

You can turn off the iGPU on the i5.

What would be the drawback of the Xeon? Why would HT not be a good thing for gaming? It's only 100 MHz slower.

Thanks for the heads up on disabling the iGPU. Just thinking if a Xeon is more like an i7, it seems like the better idea for not much more than the i5. So would the i5 decision be solely based on clock speed? Will I be able to get 4 GHz on the i5 without too much heat?

The drawback of the Xeon is that you get more performance from being able to OC for a game than you do from the HT.

Not sure what your definition of too much heat is, but it's an i5.
They don't put out much heat whether stock or OC'd.
Until you get up to the safe limits of voltage for daily use.

So if I was going for every day usage / gaming along the lines of Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, and TF2, then what? Usage is just a bunch of Firefox tabs, media streaming, and perhaps some music editing / recording. I also run some VMs from time to time.

I am currently using an FX-8320 even though I rarely see the 8-core upside. I don't know, I'm still having a hard time seeing the benefit of the i5. I like the headroom. Same reason I am planning on 16GB of RAM.

I know I asked for advice, and I appreciate your advice, but I hope to get more than just one guy's opinion, too. :thup:

OK, thanks guys. Guess the i5 is the way to go. I was really hoping I had found a way to get around the system somewhat. Oh well, still looking forward to my build, whenever it comes around.

I think I have more or less settled.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: EVGA 100-OD-S101-BR DVD/CD Writer ($41.78 @ Amazon)
Total: $1207.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 11:06 EDT-0400

If you could find a 970 anywhere, ya. Sold out everywhere I look, though. This 780 is more a placeholder if the 970 doesn't happen.

Is there no benefit to the wider memory bus on the 780?

When were you planning to buy? You don't leave till January, you have time to wait for stock and/or a sale.

I am thinking I may build it minus the GPU just to have something functional, and get the GPU just before leaving.

And since I'm going to Korea, maybe I'll get a good deal on a QNix or Crossover monitor, which the 970 should be able to push no problem, right?

That sounds very reasonable, to run on integrated for a while.

Yeah, the 970 is well suited to 1440p.

Could go with the evga 750 g2 PSU instead of the silverstone. The former is on sale at newegg currently.

Could go with the evga 750 g2 PSU instead of the silverstone. The former is on sale at newegg currently.

This case requires an SFX PSU

Also, which 970 is the go-to right now? I've heard bad things about the coolers on the EVGA models.

Get an EVGA with the ACX 2.0 cooler.

That said, what people are talking about as "issues" seem to be designed the way they were on purpose.

I also think the issues were on the first gen ACX, not the ACX 2. Could be wrong on that, though. It was basically one of those "slap the last generation's cooler on it" scenarios. Worked fine, just could be better (and is with the ACX 2.0?).

OK, here is the current plan.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: EVGA 100-OD-S101-BR DVD/CD Writer ($41.78 @ Amazon)
Total: $1200.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 22:59 EDT-0400

I might be heading to Micro Center tomorrow for the CPU and SSD. Depends on the money I have leftover after some bills.

I don't see any combo on the website. $10 cheaper on Newegg. But the 4960K is only $200 with local pickup at Micro

-edit-

Wait, found it now. Motherboard gets cheap with CPU in the cart, too. Thanks for the heads up. $328 up front, and $20 rebate. Sounds good to me. :)

Back