• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at building a new Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, you're suggesting the EVGA Supernova G2 for my power supply instead of the previously suggested Seasonic Gold? I'll take a look at that review, and I'll look up reviews of the Seasonic.
You can't go wrong with either... both are A+ quality units, however, the Evga is cheaper and has a 10 year warranty.

I would stay away from the CX series in your case due to your warm ambient at times. That PSU series (CX) has their power rated at 30C as opposed to EVGA/Seasonic that are 40/50C rated.

+1 on the CL9 vs CL11 2133 ram...

Alrighty then. I guess it's time for me to start pricing things out. I'll post the build once I've priced it out for some more feedback.

Okay so here is what I am looking at then, based on suggestions (note no case/PSU as I am going to get them from a friend) The case will be a Fractal Design ARC XL. The PSU is only 550w, but for now to cut costs it will power a single video (and a PSU isn't too hard to replace when that time comes)

Here's the parts list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nt2qNG

Feedback appreciated! Thanks!

Check the link in my earlier post for some RAM that's of the same specs, cheaper, and will match the motherboard ;)

Past that, looks good :)
I would find out the model number of the PSU though.

Okay so here is what I am looking at then, based on suggestions (note no case/PSU as I am going to get them from a friend) The case will be a Fractal Design ARC XL. The PSU is only 550w, but for now to cut costs it will power a single video (and a PSU isn't too hard to replace when that time comes)

Here's the parts list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nt2qNG

Feedback appreciated! Thanks!

Compatibility Notes
The Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.6V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

The G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

That's not necessarily bad. You're only .025V over the Intel recommended maximum for RAM voltage with the Mushkins. Just thought you should be aware of this fact. IMO, nothing bad will happen. Just be aware that it is technically out of spec. Just for your own knowledge. As far as the G Skill, you'd be even further above the recommended voltage. Again, will anything blow up? No. My friend has 1.65V RAM on a Sandybridge system (also recommended max 1.5-1.575V) and has had it since Jan 2011 and nothing has exploded. Just thought you should be aware.

Other than that I think it is a good build. I am not familiar with that monitor brand/model. Have you done research and made sure it is what you want?
What case are you putting this all in?

Compatibility Notes
The Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.6V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

That's not necessarily bad. You're only .025V over the Intel recommended maximum for RAM voltage. Just thought you should be aware of this fact. IMO, nothing bad will happen. Just be aware that it is technically out of spec. Just for your own knowledge.

Other than that I think it is a good build. I am not familiar with that monitor brand/model. Have you done research and made sure it is what you want?
What case are you putting this all in?

The case will be a Fractal Design ARC XL which I am getting from a friend.

The monitor is one that was suggested to me by EarthDog (he has one like that, so I've seen and played on it and decided it is well worth it for that one).

The case will be a Fractal Design ARC XL which I am getting from a friend.

The monitor is one that was suggested to me by EarthDog (he has one like that, so I've seen and played on it and decided it is well worth it for that one).

If Earthdog has it then it must be a very good monitor. He doesn't mess around.

Compatibility Notes

The G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.

That's not necessarily bad. You're only .025V over the Intel recommended maximum for RAM voltage with the Mushkins. Just thought you should be aware of this fact. IMO, nothing bad will happen. Just be aware that it is technically out of spec. Just for your own knowledge. As far as the G Skill, you'd be even further above the recommended voltage. Again, will anything blow up? No. My friend has 1.65V RAM on a Sandybridge system (also recommended max 1.5-1.575V) and has had it since Jan 2011 and nothing has exploded. Just thought you should be aware.

1.65V not safe for Haswell... Uh huh, that's why Woomack hasn't killed his Haswell stuff with 1.8V+...

I ran 1.65v and more on haswell. This is not an issue.

+1

While that is true it is out of spec, it will not damage anything as you mentioned. That rumor (damage) was dispelled years ago with Sandybridge and again with Ivybridge... with the same story for Haswell. Nobody brings this up anymore for those reasons. I guess to me its not worth the mention if it doesn't matter. Would have saved you 2 minutes of life typing up the disclaimers because it was mentioned, LOL!

Last edited:
While that is true it is out of spec, it will not damage anything as you mentioned. That rumor (damage) was dispelled years ago with Sandybridge and again with Ivybridge... with the same story for Haswell. Nobody brings this up anymore for those reasons. I guess to me its not worth the mention if it doesn't matter. Would have saved you 2 minutes of life typing up the disclaimers because it was mentioned, LOL!
I have to say that I appreciated the 2 minutes he spent to type them up, just for the knowledge. I also appreciate your mention of the fact that it was a dispelled rumor. Just all around good stuff to know.

Okay, so due to some unforeseen circumstances, it looks like my build is going to be changing to lower budget (that's what I get for getting the wife pregnant :eek:)

So it looks like this will be what I am going with:

Same case as before: Fractal Design ARC XL
550W PSU: Seasonic X560
MoBo: Z97 FTW
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x4)
Video Card: R9 290
Processor: Still up for debate pending final budget. Either an 4670K or 4790K
Cooler: EarthDog had suggested one (not the NH-D15) that was cheaper and smaller form factor to use...I forget which on though (hopefully he'll chime in here)
HardDrives: Probably going 128 SSD and a 1TB SATA (unless someone can convince me otherwise)

So, next question...seeing as 350$ will blow my budget now :cry: for a monitor...any suggestions for a good low-priced monitor? I do have an old Dell 21" monitor (6-7 years old), but I'm not sure that will be pretty enough.

Same case as before: Fractal Design ARC XL
550W PSU: Seasonic X560 Good choice
MoBo: Z97 FTW I don't like EVGA mobos. You can get a $130 board and be happy from someone like ASRock (Extreme 4/3)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x4) Dom plats are SO over priced it's not even funny... total waste of cash.
Video Card: R9 290 What sort of deal are you getting? GTX 970 is lower power consumption and may not be much pricier.
Processor: Still up for debate pending final budget. Either an 4670K or 4790K 4690K not 4670K
Cooler: EarthDog had suggested one (not the NH-D15) that was cheaper and smaller form factor to use...I forget which on though (hopefully he'll chime in here) Hyper 212
HardDrives: Probably going 128 SSD and a 1TB SATA (unless someone can convince me otherwise) Sounds good

Back