• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at building a new Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The evga was sourced used here from atm. The ram was sourced here used and dirt cheap as well. The 290 is being donated as a temporary holdover. ;)

Same case as before: Fractal Design ARC XL
550W PSU: Seasonic X560 Good choice
MoBo: Z97 FTW I don't like EVGA mobos. You can get a $130 board and be happy from someone like ASRock (Extreme 4/3)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x4) Dom plats are SO over priced it's not even funny... total waste of cash.
Video Card: R9 290 What sort of deal are you getting? GTX 970 is lower power consumption and may not be much pricier.
Processor: Still up for debate pending final budget. Either an 4670K or 4790K 4690K not 4670K
Cooler: EarthDog had suggested one (not the NH-D15) that was cheaper and smaller form factor to use...I forget which on though (hopefully he'll chime in here) Hyper 212
HardDrives: Probably going 128 SSD and a 1TB SATA (unless someone can convince me otherwise) Sounds good

Like EarthDog said, I got some good deals on the Z97 and the Dom Plat RAM. The video card is going to be a borrowed card for now, until I actually decide what I am going with and figure out the best budget for that (and going this route will allow me to get the 4790K as opposed to a 4690K). I think the end goal with the Video Card may be to get a higher end card a few months down the road once I save a bit more cash.

Back