• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob-ish question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scarlet Fever

ok this is what i have
system
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model M68MT-S2
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
this is the graphics card i have
Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6670
Total available graphics memory 5887 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB

This is what i want to do:
Play the new XP of World of Warcraft (WoW) - on better than LOW SETTINGs

what can i do - ie, i know i can upgrade my card, but how do i know what i can up it to, based on my mobo?
i know i can upgrade to SSD, but can i with the mobo?

or - do i get a new mobo and put in my case, will it fit? do i need a new power supply? and cooling..... argh

please take pity on a poor soul and help

budget... not really more than around £350

you start with a used r9-280x, the miners are dumping them left and right, $200 or so.

:welcome:

It seems there are two versions of your motherboard. There is a rev. 1.3 & rev 3.1 and this should be printed on the motherboard. The 3.1 adds support for AM3+ processors, where the 1.3 only supports AMD Phenom II & AMD Athlon™ II processors. I've read WoW can be CPU limited as well as GPU, so which CPU do you have? CPUz is a free program that can tell you if you don't know.

A graphic upgrade is limited by your power supply more than your motherboard. So see if you can find the make, model & maximum wattage on its label.

Thanks for the welcome - also - i'm in the UK *(dont know if that makes a difference)

:welcome:

It seems there are two versions of your motherboard. There is a rev. 1.3 & rev 3.1 and this should be printed on the motherboard. The 3.1 adds support for AM3+ processors, where the 1.3 only supports AMD Phenom II & AMD Athlon™ II processors. I've read WoW can be CPU limited as well as GPU, so which CPU do you have? CPUz is a free program that can tell you if you don't know.

A graphic upgrade is limited by your power supply more than your motherboard. So see if you can find the make, model & maximum wattage on its label.

ok - i downloaded CPUz (from Cnet.com, as i know they're a good place) and this is what i have ....

oh - theres so much, which bit do you need?

my chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Rev. A3 - so this means i can use AM3+ processors?

power supply: Power Supply: 500w Winpower Quiet PSU Power Supply (Model: AD-F520A2-30)
doesnt seem to be a great PSU - but am ok with upgrading that as well

Just take a screen shot of each of the tabs in CPU-Z and post it here. (Press PRTSCRN on your keybo and paste the image in MS paint)

Please don't start suggesting your own replacement parts. The PSU you linked was a total piece of garbage. We'll tell you what you need. First we need to know what CPU you have.

Back