• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820K vs 5930K - Gaming performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello guys,

A few select users have noticed that I am out with the big wallet and looking to spend.

Right from the start, my aim was 5820K, and honestly, it still is, but...

I have been looking threw a few CPU reviews now, and I am left with questions.

When looking at the gaming section of Toms hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918-6.html) the 5820K is for the bigger part, giving better gaming results than the 5930K and 5960X. The review is just over a month old, but I still have questions on why this would be?

Looking at AnandTech, from the date, the results look a lot more as expected. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...view-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/6) The CPU's fall pretty much in range of where they should be according to specs.

Now jumping over to Bit-Tech (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/09/03/intel-core-i7-5930k-and-core-i7-5820k-revie/7) we know start to see a patteren of identical scores.

I have not been able to find any more tests where both the 5820K and the 5930K both are represented, but I am left confused but they strange pattern of Good,bad and same..

My goal here is to justify that there really is not reason i should be looking at the 5930K, and maybe gaining a better understanding for the as to why the results are all over the map.

I do not see any compelling reason to buy a 5930 over the 5820 other than possibly multi GPU set up's

We need to see some testing on 2x and 3x GPU's to see if there is anything significant.

For a single GPU set up the writing is on the wall as far as gaming is concerned

What is compelling about this is if you look at this from a clock to clock perspective.

the 5960X is a monster being it is only chilling at 3.0 GHz

I am betting next gen games will even be better able to make use of all these core's

Notice they did not even have 1 i5 in this comparison ?

Did not notice they didnt no. I will be running a tri-fire setup with my 7970's, but on the Asus WS board, so pcie lanes are not of my concern. Im just trying to justify the 5930K over the 5820K for my purpose of use. Which is gaming and 3d work.

Last edited:
For "e-penis" purposes I would focus on 18 core xeons. For gaming etc 5820K is the same as 5930K.

the 5820 has 28 lanes as opposed to the 40 of the 5930

Both have the same 15 MB cache, TDP, and only 100 MHz of clock

if you don't need the lanes the 5820K is a no brainer IMO

There should be also Xeon 2630 v3 , 8 cores+ht , 20MB cache, 3.2GHz turbo ( so x32 ratio + OC with bclk ) for about $670 and in EU +~25% ;) ->http://ark.intel.com/products/83356/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v3-20M-Cache-2_40-GHz

In theory all Haswell-E should work at 167MHz bclk so it's 32 x 167 = 5.3GHz+. In worst case it's 32 x 125 = 4GHz. That's just an option if you wish more cores but cheaper than 5960X ;) ... still no guarantee it will overclock higher on every motherboard.

There should be also Xeon 2630 v3 , 8 cores+ht , 20MB cache, 3.2GHz turbo ( so x32 ratio + OC with bclk ) for about $670 and in EU +~25% ;) ->http://ark.intel.com/products/83356/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v3-20M-Cache-2_40-GHz

In theory all Haswell-E should work at 167MHz bclk so it's 32 x 167 = 5.3GHz+. In worst case it's 32 x 125 = 4GHz. That's just an option if you wish more cores but cheaper than 5960X ;) ... still no guarantee it will overclock higher on every motherboard.

I do get what your going for here, but i never been a fan of high BLCK ocing, dont know why, just havnt, maybe its beasue i change the ram mhz, and then it get complicated with having to setup the ram to work with the blck oc.

I do get what your going for here, but i never been a fan of high BLCK ocing, dont know why, just havnt, maybe its beasue i change the ram mhz, and then it get complicated with having to setup the ram to work with the blck oc.
When the going gets tough (basic math!) you stop?! Shame on you! :p

Being serious, the difference between those 3 links is pretty obvious to me... First, there is only one game between them to compare to which is BF4. Second, the Andand link is testing multiple GPUs while the Tom's is using one and the bittech link is on a different resolution. You can't compare any other game result there because there is nothing to compare it to.

You simply cannot compare these results against each other because there are so many different variables between them all (resolution, # of GPUs, different games in the first place, etc).

When the going gets tough (basic math!) you stop?! Shame on you! :p

Being serious, the difference between those 3 links is pretty obvious to me... First, there is only one game between them to compare to which is BF4. Second, the Andand link is testing multiple GPUs while the Tom's is using one and the bittech link is on a different resolution. You can't compare any other game result there because there is nothing to compare it to.

You simply cannot compare these results against each other because there are so many different variables between them all (resolution, # of GPUs, different games in the first place, etc).

Well, its like your not gonna out and stroke you car engine, and run high compression which changes a bunch of factors in a car engine (Which insistently is where i feel a lot safer doing stuff others wouldnt)

But i get where your going with those reviews, but how on earth does anyone compare them then? No 2 reviews are the same. As for Anand, they did single and sli.

Using your Tri-Fire setup, right Pierre? 5930K.

The question here has to be why? Im pairing it the Asus X99-E WS which couldnt care less what you throw at it, the PLX chips will take care of the rest.

This or get a PLX board like he is considering in his other thread (I want to merge the threads since this is essentially the same discussion).....

You are right, but the other thread, is OCnoobs, and i dont want to ramble more than i already am there.

That said, i put in the order on the WS this morning, so theres a 99% chance, its what i'll end up with.

Well, its like your not gonna out and stroke you car engine, and run high compression which changes a bunch of factors in a car engine (Which insistently is where i feel a lot safer doing stuff others wouldnt)

But i get where your going with those reviews, but how on earth does anyone compare them then? No 2 reviews are the same. As for Anand, they did single and sli.

The question here has to be why? Im pairing it the Asus X99-E WS which couldnt care less what you throw at it, the PLX chips will take care of the rest.

You are right, but the other thread, is OCnoobs, and i dont want to ramble more than i already am there.

That said, i put in the order on the WS this morning, so theres a 99% chance, its what i'll end up with.

Why pay $530 for a motherboard and $390 for a CPU ($920 total) when a $250 motherboard and $590 CPU ($840 total) will do the same job?
Then you have a better binned chip.

Why pay $530 for a motherboard and $390 for a CPU ($920 total) when a $250 motherboard and $590 CPU ($840 total) will do the same job?
Then you have a better binned chip.

(Was going to be short, but turned to be: ) Long version, and i know Ed is going to disagree on this one as well.

They wont ever be the same.

The Asus X99-E WS has 64 PCI-E Lanes to work with, NO OTHER motherboard can boast that. I am running 3x 7970, and yes, if i find yet another one used, im going quad! I dont care about the only 2% difference, Gen3 16x on all 3 or 4 cards, is my aim.

My only other choice if i wasnt going WS, would be the RVE. With the 5930K that leaves me with 40 lanes, resulting in 16x/8x/8x/ or 16x/8x/8x/8x.

Now, the prices here in Denmark, leaves me with these prices.

Asus Rampage X99 + 5930K = $1210, but wont ever make my fanatic and twisted 2% loss mind happy. Plus, im sick of the red and black, and disobedient BIOS that keep red LEDs on all over efter they been set to off.
vs.
Asus X99-E WS + 5820K = $1100, leaving my mind free to be happy that at long last, since i started my Journey (and Earthdog you may remember this) from 6950, running x58 Gen2 16x, having Ed telling it useless moving from X58 + i7 920 to Z77 + 3770K just because i didnt like the look of Gen2, when gen3 was an option, to then ditch that Mpower motherboard for an AsRock WS board (also with PLX cos i wanted quad fire), then do ditch that and go Z87 because X99 was too far away at the time (11months ago). Asus Maximus Vi Formula + 4770K was where it came to. But it left med with 8x/4x/4x, and its knocking in the back of mind all the time. Its damn stupid i know, but i wont be happy until i know i am at the very least getting the max from hardware (before we overclock)

Honestly. Untill a week ago, this madness was being kept under control. Then i went on the internet, and saw a board called Asus X99-E WS (apprently a well kept secret for me until then) I looked it up, saw the one part that said.. 64pcie lane no matter what cpu you stick in it.. The madness woke up, and about a week later.. here we are, my Z87 is sold, my benching rig is sold, my mind is back where i want it! Its building a rig in my head, constantly throwing questions around, needing reassurance that for a stupid *** pointless move to make, im doing enough to make it happy.

On top of that, the Asus X99-E WS is drop dead sexy, its elegant, ITS ALL BLACK!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

But yeah, to return to the short version, this is my pointless mind and possibly a mild form of ADHD running the show on this front. I never made a thread, and you can check this, asking about which motherboard i wanted, i joined in on OCnoob because, we're hand in hand, in the same boat. I can sense he wants to do the same as me. I just pulled the trigger today due a $50 price drop.

Hope that makes no sense, but puts things into perspective.

Alright, and what on the RVE are you ever going to use?
You're not taking it cold, you're using water.
You can easily use a lower motherboard to the exact same result.

You know that a 7970 doesn't even fully utilize PCIe 2.0 x16, correct?
Therefore, it doesn't even need PCIe 3.0 x8 to run full-out.

You're literally wasting money on your e-penis.

Nothing wrong with knowing what you want and going after it

However there is medication for this ......... :rofl:

Alright, and what on the RVE are you ever going to use?
You're not taking it cold, you're using water.
You can easily use a lower motherboard to the exact same result.

You know that a 7970 doesn't even fully utilize PCIe 2.0 x16, correct?
Therefore, it doesn't even need PCIe 3.0 x8 to run full-out.

You're literally wasting money on your e-penis.

You are waisting your time on this front, which is why I didnt even bother asking anyone about it. This was never about motherboards.

But, if Asus made an identical motherboard with less features, yet keeping the X16, then yes, i would buy that.

As you can clearly tell, yes, i am aware that 7970 doesnt even, but i can also tell you, once this motherboard is in, and working, im saving for GPU's. Those 7970's wont last me more than another year, im already pissed enough as is, that you cant get a full cover block for them.

With that said, does a woman need 25 pairs of shoes? Will they kill each over a pair a shoes? Yes, in this case, i want the motherboard, and if it was limited, i would kill for it.

Back