• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I like Shadows of Mordor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I was reading that anybody who liked Batman Arkham games will also like this game.

I have some questions for those who have played it:

-How much like Batman does it feel? Is it easily played with an Xbox controller? I prefer to sit back vs use the mouse/keybo

-Is it heavy with RPG elements? (Leveling up, involved menu system, carrying stuff, combining ingredients, grinding)

-How will it run on a 2600K/GTX 580? I imagine it'll run ok since it doesn't look all that demanding and I essentially have a 760.

-What else do you do in the game? All I've seen is fighting. Is there exploration? Resource gathering? Leveling up?

Could someone sort of describe the overall experience to me?

Thanks in advance.

I actually just bought it today. Get it.
GreenManGaming has a 25% off code that works for it.

Combat feels a lot like Batman so far. Xbox controller is PnP and feels natural.

Yes, lots of RPG elements involving quests, side quests, free roaming, leveling, and more.

Should run fine on a 580 turned down a touch. You'll definitely want to set the textures to fit your vRAM size. (they tell you recommended GB's for each setting)

I actually just bought it today. Get it.
GreenManGaming has a 25% off code that works for it.

Combat feels a lot like Batman so far. Xbox controller is PnP and feels natural.

Yes, lots of RPG elements involving quests, side quests, free roaming, leveling, and more.

Should run fine on a 580 turned down a touch. You'll definitely want to set the textures to fit your vRAM size. (they tell you recommended GB's for each setting)

So if I enjoyed Skyrim and Batman, I'll like this?
Might get it...

Absolutely.

Toss a bit of the Assassin's Creed feeling in there as well.

I'd say it's Batman + Assassin's Creed set in Middle-Earth, not really like Skyrim at all to me.

"Not like Skyrim" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I didn't like the overly complicated leveling system, or the CONSTANT jumping back and forth into inventory and magic menus, or the grinding. Shouts were sort of stupid too IMO.

I'm ok with it borrowing from Assassin's creed as long as it doesn't borrow any cheese. By that I mean that the AC games I've played felt like they had a very cheesy story and that turned me right off. With this being a LOTR universe game I would expect a better story, better voice acting, etc.

Just get it ;)

Not sure if I like it yet. More annoying questions to come when I think of them. I've bought games I thought I would like and then hated them (Cough, far cry 3, Saints Row 3). When I go on just the fact that other people think it's good, I end up disappointed. I want to make sure it suits my tastes, which are quite picky.

If you like batman combat then I think you will enjoy it. There are 'rumors' that the game was originally going to be a batman game that at some point during development it was cut and was re-badged into a LOTR game. I've only played about 20 minutes worth and find it to be pretty interesting and fun. The only AC similarities that I can find are the traversal (not a bad thing)

I've been playing it when I go on tilt from playing terrible games of LoL. I think its rather fun, I personally play it with my mouse and keyboard and haven't had any issues. So easy to get sidetracked in it though... so satisfying to just kill some orcs. Granted my only complaint is the slowdowns I get attempting to run it completely maxxed out with my 780ti, kinda wanna buy some more powerful gpus :screwy:

If you like batman combat then I think you will enjoy it. There are 'rumors' that the game was originally going to be a batman game that at some point during development it was cut and was re-badged into a LOTR game. I've only played about 20 minutes worth and find it to be pretty interesting and fun. The only AC similarities that I can find are the traversal (not a bad thing)

Oooh don't say LOTR since its not based on the movies ;)
Its Middle Earth based :)

Looks interesting to play and curious about it myself.

Sorry, his character was seen in a lot of previews that I saw and a lot of discussion, thought it was common knowledge.

Either way, you will see him within 30 minutes of starting, so it's not like it is a huge twist ending spoiler.

It's not a spoiler at all mate. After what everyone has said about the game and you're still not sure?

No I'm going to get it now. I've been convinced.

One issue- my GPU is a joke for this game. GTX 580 1.5GB... Apparently from what I have read and seen I can only run textures on "low"... :(... That's going to make the game look like crap. I know it'll run on my GPU because it runs ok on a 760 but I have pitifully little VRAM.

Anybody with a 580 1.5G running this game? Thoughts? What kind of framerate can I expect at 1080P with a stock 2600K? Will overclocking my CPU make a difference? I don't want to OC my GPU because its old and the fans make a grinding noise now (yes I could buy a new cooler for the card but with my X99 build mere months away.. why would I?

No I'm going to get it now. I've been convinced.

One issue- my GPU is a joke for this game. GTX 580 1.5GB... Apparently from what I have read and seen I can only run textures on "low"... :(... That's going to make the game look like crap. I know it'll run on my GPU because it runs ok on a 760 but I have pitifully little VRAM.

Anybody with a 580 1.5G running this game? Thoughts? What kind of framerate can I expect at 1080P with a stock 2600K? Will overclocking my CPU make a difference? I don't want to OC my GPU because its old and the fans make a grinding noise now (yes I could buy a new cooler for the card but with my X99 build mere months away.. why would I?

You will easily run everything on High, then you will drop a few things to even out the FPS to your liking, like shadows/AF/AA. If you target 60+ fps only for these singleplayer games then you should have no problems. Use a playclaw to monitor with overlay how much VRAM is being used and maybe look at the settings and lower one thing that might take up a lot. Surprisingly the Video Options of this game actually tells you quite a bit in detail.

Gameplay is 90% assassins Creed fyi, never played Batman but im sure if this is anything like Batman then Batman must be running similar to Assassins Creed.

Not sure if I like it yet. More annoying questions to come when I think of them. I've bought games I thought I would like and then hated them (Cough, far cry 3, Saints Row 3). When I go on just the fact that other people think it's good, I end up disappointed. I want to make sure it suits my tastes, which are quite picky.

Far Cry 3, I agree with you there. I liked the original Far Cry better than Far Cry 3 -- even considering
the graphics of the original FC are primitive in comparison to FC3.

Back