• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comment on this grounding method?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Frame of the case works just as well.

Alternatively, don't use a grounding strap.

As long as you've discharged any static electricity you've built up, you will be fine. If the PSU is plugged in and you touch the case, you know you are grounded.

On a properly wired outlet, ground is always connected. On a properly wired PSU, so is its ground also connected. Nearly everytime I work in my case, I always leave the PSU connected, but switched off. I've only used a ground strap a couple of times, way way way back in the 386/486 days of PC.

I tend to just grab the end of a radiator in the house to discharge before handling a cpu or ram.
I expect earthing the brim of my foil hat would also work :D

Not wrestling the dog in your favourite synthetic mix jumper or rubbing yourself with an inflated balloon for half hour prior to a build is also a good idea.

Seriously though few people that work daily with electronics concern with the risk.

And yes leaving the psu plug in and firing the machine to drain the caps is a habit I've got into over the years.

That guide is written for a country where the AC is at 220-240 volts, so the information about the power switch isn't always right for North America, where 120VAC is much more common. 240VAC switches disconnect both AC lines because both are "hot" (at high voltage), but in the US the switch in almost all PSUs disconnects only the hot AC wire (black, 120VAC) but leaves the neutral AC wire (white, ideally 0 volts) connected. Normally there's 120VAC on the black and close to zero volts on the white, but that's not always true, especially when the building wiring has been installed backward. So it's best to leave the AC power cord unplugged from the wall outlet while working on the computer.

It's also false that it's better to have the computer case grounded to the wall outlet while working on it because what really matters is the voltage between you and the computer stuff, not the voltage between you and earth ground. You want to be grounded to the chassis, not to earth. Also notice that anti-static wrist straps have at least one megaohm of resistance between you and their ground connection. That's a safety measure, in case one side of you touches high voltage while the other side of you is connected to ground through the wrist strap. Because of this some electronics factories don't let workers to go through an entry checkpoint unless they plug in their anti-static wrist strap into a tester and the tester shows that there's about 1 million to 2 million ohms in series.

A few power supplies do not have their case ground tied to their power ground (black wires that go to the motherboard, drives, video card, etc.) because that's actually supposed to be the proper thing to do. In other words, the chassis ground and power & signal grounds are different. Original Antec TruePower and SmartPower models had an option for this -- a bare wire jumper was soldered to a circuit trace for one of the mounting screws of the circuit board to connect the chassis and power grounds together.

Get your information about electrical safety from electronics people, not computer people, who are usually not electronics people. For information about anti-static precautions, google "ESD" (ElectroStatic Discharge), or check the last chapter of any chip databook from National, Texas Instruments, Linear, etc.

I don't use an anti-static wrist strap but instead cover the whole table top with anti-static bubble wrap or anti-static foam wrap, allowing it to drop down a few inches in front of me so I'll be more likely to discharge myself through it. Set everything on that surface, and work in short sleeves so your elbows will likely discharge yourself frequently. Staples and Home Depot sell anti-static wrap. Do NOT substitute aluminum foil or other metal because they can easily short out the lithium battery on the motherboard and make it rupture.

Last edited:
Back