• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU overclock successful -I am having an issue come up unsure if CPU/GPU related

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

I have managed to successfully overclock my machine from a 3.2GHz CPU to a 3.8GHz CPU.

Now I had completed a full 3hr run on Prime95 (Blend mode) which came up with no errors/reported issues.

I figured ok I am good no problems here.

I then ran a game that doesn't really require anything graphics wise (Dofus) and was on my way I then went to spectate a fight and my Skype crashed and the screen started to go funny. It is hard to describe what happened on screen best way I can describe it was like something had scratched the icons and parts of my screen (lines on screen icons looking messed up). I am now unsure what is causing this issue and would really appreciate it if anyone could give me advice on what may be causing the issues).

Temps only in the 30-40 region so def not temp related. Not sure if it is CPU related GPU related or even memory related.

I can only assume its voltage related but unsure what one I would need to push up.

Does NB voltage need to match the CPU one or is it ok as is??

OverclockBIOSSettings_zpsa58adfa8.jpg

Regards,

Time-Bandit.

Last edited:
I have noticed when I try to video render using handbrake it is causing the static (how it looks on screen) issues error messages when rendering fails aswell.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I am also trying to establish if the stuff I see on screen has a particular name to describe it.

The on screen effect looks the exact same as when Prime95 isn't able to open successfully or crashes at some point during the testing can also cause this onscreen issue.

180AA06A-39F3-40AB-8A4A-AE5AAA5FA36E_zps8b8e33d7.jpg

Last edited:
First off, u are having some sort of stability issue, so u shouldn't be overclocking. Bring everything back down to stock, and try creating the problem again. If it happens at complete stock, u know something is probably broke.

I see ur screenshot, but I don't what u are pointing out in it. Nothing stands out to me. Maybe u should zoom out a bit, and circle what u are referring to.

Also, the term u are looking for is "artifact". When u see weird things on ur screen that aren't supposed to be there, it's called artifacting. This would be referring to some sort of errors showing up visually, that are USUALLY caused by the video card. Too high of a GPU overclock can do it... a damaged GPU can it... and overheating GPU can do it (can u show us ur GPU temps?) and messed up VRAM can do it... along with any number of other weird things too. Typically if u are just hanging around in 2D mode, and u are getting artifacts on ur screen, it's a good indication of a bad video card. Or at least that's where we would shift our attention to.

So go back to stock everything. Tell us GPU temps. Show us a better picture of ur artifacts. Then we'll go from there.

I would say it's a RAM issue.

Does it run at its stock frequency/voltage?

Edit: I don't say that out of the blue, it happend with my 955BE.

First off, u are having some sort of stability issue, so u shouldn't be overclocking. Bring everything back down to stock, and try creating the problem again. If it happens at complete stock, u know something is probably broke.

I see ur screenshot, but I don't what u are pointing out in it. Nothing stands out to me. Maybe u should zoom out a bit, and circle what u are referring to.

Also, the term u are looking for is "artifact". When u see weird things on ur screen that aren't supposed to be there, it's called artifacting. This would be referring to some sort of errors showing up visually, that are USUALLY caused by the video card. Too high of a GPU overclock can do it... a damaged GPU can it... and overheating GPU can do it (can u show us ur GPU temps?) and messed up VRAM can do it... along with any number of other weird things too. Typically if u are just hanging around in 2D mode, and u are getting artifacts on ur screen, it's a good indication of a bad video card. Or at least that's where we would shift our attention to.

So go back to stock everything. Tell us GPU temps. Show us a better picture of ur artifacts. Then we'll go from there.

Thanks heaps for the reply. I don't think it would have been the GPU as I have done nothing to this it sits at around 33 or below max at the moment. I thought it may have been the RAM however I bumped my CPU volt up again and it seemed to have fixed the issue.

Did another Prime95 for 2hrs no problems temps were fine then I did the real test of rendering the video that caused my PC to go unstable and sure enough it processed without the hitch!

I would say it's a RAM issue.

Does it run at its stock frequency/voltage?

Edit: I don't say that out of the blue, it happend with my 955BE.

I had the RAM voltage adjusted only very slightly over the stock. But adjusting CPU volt seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks again all with the help!

Cheers,

Time-Bandit.

Back