• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With My First Build (Under $1500)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know where you live in Canada but if there's a CanadaComputers.com store near you, their prices are in line with Newegg for the most part and you can just go pick it up at the store. They're also Canadian

Yeah I live in BC, so no good. But their prices online were not that cheap compared to others. I actually only got 2 items on that list from Newegg. The most came from Direct Canada, they had the best prices. Only the cooler was cheapest on NCIX. And great deal on the case on Amazon.ca. So I damn sure looked around for the best prices and everything was free shipping. In total it ended up being $1,558.91 with tax. :)

Ya they're pretty much all in Ontario. Nice shopping though.

Regardless...that doesn't clarify the meaning of your post. I'm not sure what it means in the context of this thread either.

Ok, I'll go through and explain:

Theocnoob stated: "My concern is that this guy buys the rig with 2 970s now, and in a year or two the GTX 1090 TiX2 comes out..."

Now, in his initial post, OP stated he (assuming gender for simplicity sake, if OP is female I apologize) wanted to build a computer that would last about 3 years and cost $1500. In his subsequent posts he makes a list of component parts with prices. Even after he changes the RAM to save $30 he's up to around $1300. His list of components include a single graphics card. In order to get 2 graphic cards he'd blow his budget. And, again, OP is looking for a 3 year build, not changing out the graphic card next year.

So, in my post I stated that OP was looking for a system that would last 3 years, not 3 months. The 3 months was an exaggeration on my part as Theoc did state "next year", but I put it in there to make the connection to a computer that is upgraded as new tech comes available (every few months) versus one that is upgraded 3 years down the road.

I didn't see anywhere where OP stated he had increased his budget, wanted to buy a second video card or was planning on upgrading next year instead of 3 years from now.

TLDR: ignore this post

Ok, I'll go through and explain:

Theocnoob stated: "My concern is that this guy buys the rig with 2 970s now, and in a year or two the GTX 1090 TiX2 comes out..."

Now, in his initial post, OP stated he (assuming gender for simplicity sake, if OP is female I apologize) wanted to build a computer that would last about 3 years and cost $1500. In his subsequent posts he makes a list of component parts with prices. Even after he changes the RAM to save $30 he's up to around $1300. His list of components include a single graphics card. In order to get 2 graphic cards he'd blow his budget. And, again, OP is looking for a 3 year build, not changing out the graphic card next year.

So, in my post I stated that OP was looking for a system that would last 3 years, not 3 months. The 3 months was an exaggeration on my part as Theoc did state "next year", but I put it in there to make the connection to a computer that is upgraded as new tech comes available (every few months) versus one that is upgraded 3 years down the road.

I didn't see anywhere where OP stated he had increased his budget, wanted to buy a second video card or was planning on upgrading next year instead of 3 years from now.

TLDR: ignore this post

You're right. I just like to make PC's future proof if it'll only cost a few more bucks. Sure, his plan NOW is to not upgrade for 3 years, but what if he comes into some inheritance in a year, gets a better job, or decides he wants to play on a 4K monitor? Or that he wants a multi monitor gaming setup?

I just like to leave options open, but you're right. It's fine as is for a static 3 year build. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

You're right. I just like to make PC's future proof if it'll only cost a few more bucks. Sure, his plan NOW is to not upgrade for 3 years, but what if he comes into some inheritance in a year, gets a better job, or decides he wants to play on a 4K monitor? Or that he wants a multi monitor gaming setup?

For what it's worth, I agree with you, to a point.

It's just that OP was asking something specific and hadn't hinted anything to the contrary. There's always a "what if". Besides, based on OP's initial post, should he come into money, I'm sure he'll be back asking more questions. :D

I wanted to come back here and ask one question that I forgot to ask originally.

How many case fans should I have in that build? The case comes with 1 200mm on front and 1 140mm fan in the back. I thought about adding 3 more 140mm fans on top, thought might as well use up that space. But I don't really know if I need them? And if they will add more noticeable noise?

If you think I should do you have any suggestions? I was looking at Corsair AF140 LED, but I don't know how good they are on noise (25.5 dBA)?

I would add one or two up there, certainly. Of course more fans equal more noise... but put them on a fan controller or hook them up to your motherboard and control them that way.

I would add one or two up there, certainly. Of course more fans equal more noise... but put them on a fan controller or hook them up to your motherboard and control them that way.

True, but you can always turn the fans down to an almost inaudible level. I would say populate every fan position in the case, and get a fan controller, a cheap and cheerful one. Or get quiet fans like AF140 "quiet edition" fans from Corsair which are quiet by running at low RPM. What's worse about those vs higher speed fans and a fan controller is that if you ever run into a situation where you need more air flow, you can't have it. Whereas with a fan controller you can just turn the fans up.

If your motherboard supports it (with the proper headers and software), you can connect all fans to the mobo (use splitters if there aren't enough connectors for all your fans) and use the software to set them to ramp up and down based on temperatures and loads on your system.

Lots of ways around fan noise.

Well my case has a PWM Hub but I am kind of unclear of how to connect it properly. Right now I have it connected to CPU_OPT but the manual advises connection to CPU_FAN, but my CPU fan should go there instead. I don't know if I am able to control speeds somehow through this, some clarification would be appreciated. Here's the schematic:

47f9922a_EnthooProPWMHub.jpeg

^No I can't actually. I can only control CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN's but I can't control the speeds of PWM Hub fans. Maybe if I connect PWM Hub to CHA_FAN instead of CPU_OPT I will be able to control it. I'll try that.

It probably won't work. But then how am I supposed to control fan speeds then?

Last edited:
Back