• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung monitor goes black when a light or other appliance is turned on/off????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

96s10

OK so this is beginning to get quite annoying. Anytime a light or other appliance is turned on in the house my Samsung monitor goes black for a second or two. This has happened at the Army Hotel at Fort Lee, my parents house in WI, and now my new apartment in Kansas. I'm 100% certain it has something to do with the monitor or its power supply. Any thoughts?

The power supply in your monitor is most likely a switching power supply and those are susceptible to noise on the AC line. One way to get around this type of problem is to get an 'isolation transformer' rated at the power level of the equipment you intend to run off of it. It is basically a transformer that has equal windings on either side of the coil and produces the same output as the input voltage. You would plug the transformer into your outlet, and the monitor to the transformer..

Possible old caps in the power supply not playing well with power surges on the circuits. A visual inspection of the capacitors on the power supply of the monitor may turn up some bulging. But if that doesn't appear to be the issue, noxqzs's suggestion could work. You could also try a "active" UPS, though for the price of one of those you might be better off just getting a new monitor.

my pc did some weird **** in my old appartment when i was leaving and turned off the light, boom power would get shut off. id be like WTF BBQ?! then one day it stopped doing it. still never figured out what was going on, i believe i might have an old thread on here about it.

As NiHaoMike suggest the caps.

What model and year was the monitor made in?

I had one die on me and a friend had his Samsung TV go on him.

In short they messed up and released a ton of monitors with the wrong value caps on the power.

edit: link to the Samsung mayhem and repair guide.

http://www.normsweb.com/tektips/sam206bw.shtml

Last edited:
I cracked open the power supply case. I can't see any blown or bulging capacitors but it definitely smells like burning or HOT electronics (ya that smell).

Back