• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EEPROM memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mwade

Hi guys. I`ve got Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 from my cousin for free. He said it was a gift because he has other laptop and he said to me that he was messing with the bios, set a supervisor password and he can`t remember it because he was not using that laptop for a long time. Well, I was serching all over internet to find out how can i recover it and I found that the password is stored in EEPROM. I was speaking with my friend how can I read this memory and he said to me that there is EEPROM programattor who can extract the memory from chip. I found a guy who can do it and he extracted the memory in two separate .bin files because this motherboard uses dual bios chip. One file is 4 mb and the other one is 2 mb. My question is what`s the best program to read those files and recover the password because warranty has expired on this laptop and I know that warranty doesn`t cover this problem and in my country there isn`t official Lenovo shops. I was using IBMPass and I2C programs but cant` find the password at all because there is bunch of weird symbols and almost anything in those .bin files doesn`t make sense. Thanks in advance.

If those readers you've tried wont show the pass then you'd need an interface and second computer connected to try and capture the TPM ic dump in realtime.

Extract from the manual :-

If you forget your supervisor password, a Lenovo authorized servicer cannot reset your password. You must take your computer to a Lenovo authorized servicer or a marketing representative to have the system board replaced. Proof of purchase is required, and a fee will be charged for parts and service.

_______

It's all a bit too close to hacking and we cant validate your intent/situation.

Taking the machine apart and removing the bios battery with a usb flash drive in the right port may help... There are guides out there which I'm not going to link ;)

Reflash the latest bios with some hidden switch to clear the passwords perhaps?

On most Lenovo laptops you can disconnect battery or additional wires next to the battery to reset BIOS. Sometimes you have to short jumper or some points on the motherboard but all depends from laptop. For some models there are movies on youtube explaining what and where but you have to be sure what are you looking for.
Y580 is a family of maybe 30 laptops and I don't think that all are using the same motherboard. I also think that motherboard itself or broken laptops with working mobo can be on auctions and all depends from price if it's worth to replace it. I know it's not answering directly the question but it's probably the easiest way.

Back