• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Typhoon in a power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

My Silverstone Strider PSU fan is ridiculously loud so I'm going to replace it and was thinking of putting a Typhoon in. Has anyone swapped out their psu fan with a Tyhpoon? If so, which one? Thanks.

I never used a Typhoon brand but I have used other brands. I've had fans that were lighted or that went bad and I replaced them with Scyth brand. The results always turned out well for me.

They can still be found around Sidewinder computers, performance-pcs, and frozenCPU IIRC. I remember seeing some AP-15's on a couple of those sites recently anyways.

I'd say the main issue would be making sure you didn't kill yourself replacing the fan. Is the Silverstone unit still under warranty?

It was a scratch & dent from Performance-PCs (probably for the noise) so probably not. I am mainly concerned that the draw from something like a gentle typhoon would be too much for the internal fan header.

If it's close enough to the stock fan it might be ok, or you could set up an extension 7V cable outside of the PSU and just attach it to one of the 4-pin connectors.

Back