• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4690k and maximus vii hero OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quickbot

Registered
Hello my smart helpers :)

So i decide to give a try and OC my i5-4690k cpu. I dont need extreme oc, prolly 4,2-4,4ghz would be max.

Sooo, i really need help from you guys, with a hints on what i must disable in bios and except raisin cpu voltage @ 1.25 at start i dont know anything else.

Not sure why i5 cpu is hotter than fx-8370(prolly my thermal paste isa ****) cos fx had 41C max but i5 now have ~ 62C doing same stuff on both cpus and using same h100i coolers.... only thing that i5 had reapplied thermal paste. Only thing i dont know if ill be able to get 4,2-4,4ghz if my temps already in prime95 heats up to 72C(on stock settings)

So if anyone have same cpu/mobo or know a safe stats/hints to share, please help me out!

Thank you.

Oh, and suggest me best thermal paste for h100i(local store examples)

TIM TUBE S15 QOLTEC
Arctic Cooling MX-2
ZM-STG2 ZALMAN STG2 SUPER
XDC-SILVERTIMZ9 DEEPCOOL
Arctic Cooling MX-4

few examples of what i have in shop as looks like my Revoltec Thermal Grease NANO doesnt work good or just my both left hands :)

i5 runs hotter than FX. AMD cpus don't get as hot, but they have a higher TDP and radiate more heat. In other words, the cooler itself is cooler with the i5, but the i5 is hotter, while with the FX the cooler is getting hotter but the chip is staying cooler.

Intel CPUs can go up to 100 celsius. AMD CPUs can not. You're fine.

What voltage are you at right now? When you load the cpu 100% on all cores in windows, what does Coretemp show as your max cpu temp and what does CPU-z show as your vcore? Odds are you already have enough vcore to get to 4.2Ghz. It's not much of an overclock.

We need more information.

Thats why i need your help as i dont know what to show you to get help, so here it goes. When i start prime95 CPU-z shows core voltage of steady 1.081 core speed 3897.7mhz

But my temps already very hot Core0 97C, 1#98, 2#96, 3@87 and package @ 99C(from hwmonitor) but @ corsair link h100i temp only 30.8C

As soon as i stoped prime95 all coe temps where down to 40C in a second....is there something wrong with my heat monitoring? not sure if its able to heat down from 100C to 40C in a 1-2seconds....

using prime 28.4 build1. just wanted to mention as it looks like some prime versions runs way too hot for this chip?!

Anyways i really dont usderstand anything but as much as i get, i wont be able to oc this cpu? ill test thermal grease options as soon as i get some good one, but not sure if that wil give me enough -temp to oc. This termal grease is pretty liquid-ish as i need to use brush to apply, maby thats the problem...blah but who knows? not me :D

PS: With inter extreme tuning utility cpu didnt go past 76C mark. In aida64 didnt get past 70C (maby usefull info)

Last edited:
Looks like i manage to ask a really dumb question, so huge silence i have for the first time :D

Prime95 will make Haswell temps go into the 90s. This has been discussed in several other threads. Search.

If you've already increased the voltage, increasing the core multiplier shouldn't make it any hotter.

Are you following the OC guide in the CPU section for that chip?

Well i just read this http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell and prolly should do it b4 bothering forum memmbers here.

Only thing i would like to know wich thermal paste will be best for this cpu from my examples? Its get very confusing as i search and read more i get way too many random ansvers so i really dont get further with solution, but then again in the end all thermal pastes do the same in ~+-5C range and prolly no matter how you apply it it wont do any magic there too... just dont want to waste too much money on the paste that i wont be using more than once in a few years. Anyways, soory for stupid questions b4 researching more properly, so ill start with this guide...atleast first two steps as third step is beyond my lil brains capability.

Guide is pretty thorough. Should have all the info you need to get to 4.4ish. If not, feel free to ask for clarification.

Thermal pastes, here's a thread from earlier today. You pretty much guessed it. They're all within 5 (or less) of one another. Grab what's on sale that way you can apply/reapply your heatsink multiple times to get the best results. Proper seating of the HSF and application of the TIM is more important than which TIM.

OK, so i manage to boot up with 1.25 @ 4.6ghz, but at aida64 failed in first seconds, so im running stable at 4.5ghz, but heat is a problem. So at the weekend ill remake h100i, add some washers and new thermal paste and see how its goin, as now cpu on boot up is at 50C and then drops down to ~ 41-45C.

So i have a question. Does heat is a cause that i crash at 4.6ghz 1.25v or all i really can do is raise cpu voltage? Atleast now i know that is that cpu throttling, so i was thinking that heat prevents cpu running properly, ornly thing ill be able to achieve with better cooling is higher benchmark score on Intel extreme tuning utility.

And anyways, if ill manage to properly fix h100i problem and will work like for others, i will gain like 5-10C decrease, but it wont anyhow help me, to get higher cpu speed as this chip is crazy on heating up. It just jumping from 40ish to 100C in a few seconds..... best part, that h100i doesnt do a ****, no matter if i run fans @ 1300rpmh or max speed, it doesnt change ANYTHING. Even on stock temperatures, i can lower to 500rpmh and have same cpu temp like on 2300ish, plus air that goes trough radiator is very cool for the all coling session at 100C.

Anyways im hooked up on this shiz, no matter the lil thing that i dont get anything lol

i5-4690k newbie oc

Sorry for doubleposting but first one i did manage to flood it witch other offtopic shiz. So here i am, fixed h100i idle temps ~ 31C on load with Intel extreme tuning i get 64C

So for the most important part, i did manage to get 4.5ghz @ 1.25V, so after huge temp drops i now trying to oc more, got kinda stable 4.8ghz @ 1.371V BUT.... XTU score with 4.5ghz was 1015 points, now with 4.8ghz i only got 742points even tho with 4.5ghz for most of the benchmark my cpu was throttling so it didnt run at 4.5ghz for 90% time of that test, now all 5min test i was at 4.8ghz and still so low XTU score. Did i forgot to do anything?

One more thing, what is the safe V for this i5-4690k chip? My temps allow me to go higher only thing i dont know is the safe maximum voltage for cpu, but then again, if i get worse score with higher speeds, dont see point trying.

Thank you in advance! Without you i wouldnt be able to get what i have now :)

What are your temps during the XTU test? If it's throttling at both 4.5 and 4.8, they're likely too high.

What are your temps during the XTU test? If it's throttling at both 4.5 and 4.8, they're likely too high.

Now with 4.8ghz @ 1.381 i get 80C MAX during XTU, not sure what there happened, but by raising core v i manage to score 1039 points now.

But now i have new question, do i have to raise cpu cache the same way i did with cpu core? and will it do any performance boost as i see on first place with same cpu dud runs 4.8ghz @ 1.5ish voltages, but he has raised cache ratio to X42 and voltage on it 1.5v and Processor Cache Voltage Offset:54.6875 mV ... whatever that is :)

I merged threads... no reason to create another. Just post in this same thread and bring it back on topic. :)

Seems like it was just stable in XTU is why you lost points there.

You do not need to touch the cache, no. There are few performance boosts because of cache. Leave it on auto is my suggestion. If you are looking to get the highest scores in things, then play around with it.

This thing gets very competitive and addictive. But it think ill stop at what i have, i think for a first time thing my cpu is pretty cool(as i didnt do anything special afterall)

So last thing, should i add few 0.0x voltage to cpu to be sure it gets everything it needs, or if i dont crash at these values, im good to go? And for later- i prolly will want to try and get to 5ghz as looks like my temps allowing me to do so, what is a safe voltage to stop at? at asus vii hero bios in hint it was showing 1.9v max, but i dont think it could be right.

The goal is to be stable at the lowest possible voltage. I wouldn't add anything if you are not stable.

5Ghz likely isn't in the cards boss...you will need too much voltage which will likely lead to too much heat. You want to keep temps under 90C on load. you are already at 80C.

Keep voltage below 1.4v for 24/7. Preferably around 1.35v.

Well thank you all for help! Then its an stop for me...for now! See you all later when ill need more help.

Back