• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 270X for $200 any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you go on Ebay or the classifieds section of this and other forums you can get GPUs much better than the 270X for $200 and less. Only caveat is they are used. You don't know how high they've been volted. Kind of a buyer beware situation. If it's in good condition, you get an awesome deal, if it's in bad condition, not so much.

I need some posts to view classifieds and I might say the hell with it and go for the new gtx 970, still trying to weigh my options though, thanks guys.

I have wanted to upgrade for forever but I just couldn't get to that point and voila, new cards release, not too far from my price range I suppose if I sell my old card.

Not sure if this helps...but try Amazon for a used card.
My 7970 died recently (reference card) at a really bad time as I could not afford to replace it or upgrade. A similar card would be the R9 280X but they go for $300+ new. I checked Amazon and found a 7970 GHZ edition for $200. That is essentially the same card as a R9 280x and a heckuva lot faster than a 270 (280x is a rebranded 7970 GHZ). $200 is a good deal and it comes from Amazons warehouse so you know its gonna have fast shipping, packaged well and if something is wrong w/ it, Amazon looks after its customers. My XFX 7970 GHZ card arrived in great shape and was only missing the cables, if it were not for a finger print on the card I would have guessed it was new. So try Amazon...they have good deals for used/refurbished cards.
(try to make sure you are getting the deals from Amazon directly and not third party sellers...a 3rd party seller tried to send me a broken card)

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps...but try Amazon for a used card.
My 7970 died recently (reference card) at a really bad time as I could not afford to replace it or upgrade. A similar card would be the R9 280X but they go for $300+ new. I checked Amazon and found a 7970 GHZ edition for $200. That is essentially the same card as a R9 280x and a heckuva lot faster than a 270 (280x is a rebranded 7970 GHZ). $200 is a good deal and it comes from Amazons warehouse so you know its gonna have fast shipping, packaged well and if something is wrong w/ it, Amazon looks after its customers. My XFX 7970 GHZ card arrived in great shape and was only missing the cables, if it were not for a finger print on the card I would have guessed it was new. So try Amazon...they have good deals for used/refurbished cards.
(try to make sure you are getting the deals from Amazon directly and not third party sellers...a 3rd party seller tried to send me a broken card)

But... What about Mantle? It's the future!

But... What about Mantle? It's the future!

That's what they said about OpenGL. Where is it now?

The bottom line is that unless GPU makers adopt a universal standard (they have LOTS already. PCIE, Direct 3D, Direct X), better communication methods between the GPU and the rest of the PC will never become mainstream.

It would be nice if Nvidia and AMD could come up with something together that was more efficient than Direct X. If it was universal, all games would start to feature it, and we'd get better overall performance for the PC master race.

Back