• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

H guys,

My #1 rig is gone (don't know how to change the sig with the new forums, lol!).

I have a €600 coupon i an online shop that I have to spend before one month and I was wondering what I could get...

The 3470k rig with 280x crossfire plays everything maxed out@1080p, so not that I need an upgrade for gaming, but I need to spend this money before it vanishes.

So I was thinking, maybe a 4790k with an Extreme6 and a 16GB Trident X to make some points on HWbot (could do some good with the 2 280x, which clock quite good on air).

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan to me. You probably won't see a huge improvement outside bechmarks, but if you gotta spend the money, CPU/mobo/ram would be my choice since you're already set in the GPU department.

You can get to the old "UserCP" page (with the sig editor) by clicking "Settings" in the top right.

Thanks Ninjacore, found it!

I believe Broadwell will be z97 compatible, isn't it?

Could be a nice 2015 upgrade after this one, together with a 980 ti...

Thanks Ninjacore, found it!

I believe Broadwell will be z97 compatible, isn't it?

Could be a nice 2015 upgrade after this one, together with a 980 ti...

I sincerely doubt it. I think Broadwell will be a "tick" (die shrink), so it will probably be a new socket. :(

The "top dawg" GPU at launch option is for the birds, IMO. You always overpay. For example, the 980 is 50%+ more than the 970, but only offers 10-20% more performance. I'd expect something similar between the 980 and 980ti when it launches. (Not to mention, if you're still at 1080P, I don't even know if the next generation of games will be enough to fully tax your 280Xs)

Mmmm...

Hopefully, I should get a 1440p by the end of the year.

HAve to check for the Broadwell compatibility though. Don't want to get a new mobo again, lol!

Well, I don't game much actually, a little bit of BF4 here and there, some Grid 2/Dirt 3 (got to try PayDay 2, as I have it in my steam account for 6 months and did not even download it yet!).

THat was more for benching purpose.

Z97 is supposed to have Broadwell compatibility. It was in our review(s) and most others on the net gents. :)

I am not sure on that one... it would have to do DDR3 if Z97 supports it... perhaps it can do both? Not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am then settled.

I'll get a 4790k/Extreme 6 and keep the Corsair Vengeance.

Might (finally!) get a nice driving wheel with whatever money remains.

Z97 is supposed to have Broadwell compatibility. It was in our review(s) and most others on the net gents. :)

Wow. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Certainly breaks from their typical release cycle (unless they aren't considering Haswell and Haswell Refresh different releases?)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe I had heard and just forgot. LOL Still strange, especially with how much time is going to elapse between the two (though, I suppose that used to be the norm).

Last edited:
Mmmm... Sounds like a good idea...

Are X99 mobo's DDR3 compatible?

Budget's tight, as I promised the 3470/P67 board combo to a buddy (no reselling...).

Edit: nope... not compatible with DDR3. Seduced by the idea, but will have to saueeze the purse to get the memory...

Last edited:
Best I could find is a 5820k+Asrock x99 Extreme 4+4*4GB Ballistix for €850.

On top of that, I will have to add a NHD14 2011 in a near future if I want to squeeze the CPU a bit :)p).

Somehow out of budget, but...

Best I could find is a 5820k+Asrock x99 Extreme 4+4*4GB Ballistix for €850.

On top of that, I will have to add a NHD14 2011 in a near future if I want to squeeze the CPU a bit :)p).

Somehow out of budget, but...
I was going to suggest a X99 also, if you can swing it cost wise it seems to be the way to go.

Yep, it seems the way to go...
:scratching head: but I have a lot of "casual" expenses to come in the coming weeks.

I could grab the CPU/Mobo combo before my "voucher"'s gone and grab the DDR4/cooler next month.

Yep, it seems the way to go...
:scratching head: but I have a lot of "casual" expenses to come in the coming weeks.

I could grab the CPU/Mobo combo before my "voucher"'s gone and grab the DDR4/cooler next month.

For most people I would say it was a waste of money, but since you are a known tech-head, I suggest X99. Grab CPU/board now and get the RAM later.
Might want to go with an H110 for cooling. NHD14 won't push the chip as far as 280mm AIO.

^Sure it will be a waste of money ;)

And no, I won't say I want a future proof solution!:p

I am sure these x99 are more fun to overclock than the 1150/1155 platforms.

A new toy to play with!

Thanks for the advice on the cooler. I'll have a look at some 240/280 AIO.

Back