• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 way GTX 980 SLI and PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, my friend is building a new desktop and bought 3 GTX 980 cards. Will a 1000W PSU be enough for them to run along with a I7 4790? Thanks.

David

Doing any overclocking? Supposedly those cards only have a TDP of ~170w. Assuming you aren't overclocking much at all, and it's a *quality* PSU, I'd think you'd be fine.

Id wait for a few others to chime in first before you make up your mind though.

Edit** ATM beat me to it.

Yeah, sub ambient beatings, likely needs more... ambient, highly doubtful, even with bios mods (run into cooling issues before power issues I would imagine).

Doing any overclocking? Supposedly those cards only have a TDP of ~170w. Assuming you aren't overclocking much at all, and it's a *quality* PSU, I'd think you'd be fine.
Thank nvidia for bios power limit mods... doesn't matter with ambient overclocking.

Thanks for the info. I don't think he plans on doing any overclocking.

David

Minimum Watts Requirment for 3 way GTX 980 SLI

Hi,

Just a quick question. What would be the minimum PSU watts requirement for a 3 way GTX 980 SLI and if they were overclocked?

David

With your 4790K? I'd run it all on an EVGA SuperNova G2 850W.

As was already stated, assuming it is a quality 1000W power supply it will be fine.

To be completely honest I wouldn't have gone past 2-way SLI, unless things have changed 3-way scaling is pretty poor outside of some benchmarks.

As was already stated, assuming it is a quality 1000W power supply it will be fine.

To be completely honest I wouldn't have gone past 2-way SLI, unless things have changed 3-way scaling is pretty poor outside of some benchmarks.

I was looking at 4k monitors and thought that you would need 3-way SLI to run games smoothly at that resolution.

Back