• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sub 145 fps feels bad on 144hz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fosk

The question hard to define in the title but! Does having less then 145 fps on a 144hz monitor cause a bad experience in some game? Not all but many i have tested look to be suffering greatly and look at times worse then 60hz/60fps. Insurgency feels pretty bad the second you go to 130 fps and even 100, but of other games like Shadows of Mordor also feel pretty bad on 80-100 fps, pretty much all the nice single player games that come out also too feel very bad compared. Looking forward to play singleplayer of new Alien Isolation, Ryse Son of Rome, COD and whatever comes out fun to play.

Am i just not used to low frame rates anymore? Is it cause i play too much Quake (smooth as could be in all aspects) or is there actually a ****ty feeling if you can not hit your hz target. I had others tell me this also over a year ago before i had got a 144hz monitor they experienced the same thing in FPS styled MMOs.

Anything would help.

Yep, you're a monster and your eyes are permanently damaged. I would suggest replacing them with a better model.

In all seriousness, I though "screen tearing" was more likely when your FPS exceeded the refresh rate of your monitor? At 144Hz and 145 FPS, I doubt it would be noticeable at all, tbh, but at 60Hz and 70 FPS, for example, it could be noticeable?

Honestly, I've never noticed it on a variety of screens and several GPUs, so I never looked into it much.

Yep, you're a monster and your eyes are permanently damaged. I would suggest replacing them with a better model.

In all seriousness, I though "screen tearing" was more likely when your FPS exceeded the refresh rate of your monitor? At 144Hz and 145 FPS, I doubt it would be noticeable at all, tbh, but at 60Hz and 70 FPS, for example, it could be noticeable?

Honestly, I've never noticed it on a variety of screens and several GPUs, so I never looked into it much.

Well im not sure of the screen tearing exactly or if thats my experience, to be more on point it feels like what having 40 fps in a game while on 60 hz, but in reality its more like 70-90 fps with 144hz setting. Not smooth and noticed to the point you wish it were smoother.

I saw this today, and got 9/11 http://massiveburrito.com/test/60vs30.html and what i feel i experience at times is far more noticeable then whats shown on that link. so instead of my fps feeling better then 60 hz, its feel more like 30 fps.

Again, I was only under the impression that visual "abnormalities" like screen tearing would be apparent when your FPS exceeds your refresh rate. In those scenarios, your GPU is rendering X frames in 1 second, but your monitor is refreshing its image less than X times in 1 second. When this occurs, multiple frames are "joined" together in a single "refresh cycle" and you get ... screen tearing.

I currently play at between 50-90 FPS @ 96Hz (1440P) and before that, 60-100 FPS @ 60Hz (1080P). In neither configuration have I experienced anything strange, so :shrug:

He has been saying 'feels' the entire thread so far (2 posts, LOL!). Screen tearing does generally appear over the refresh rate... but its his butt dyno that seems to be going off with the hitching.

Again, I was only under the impression that visual "abnormalities" like screen tearing would be apparent when your FPS exceeds your refresh rate. In those scenarios, your GPU is rendering X frames in 1 second, but your monitor is refreshing its image less than X times in 1 second. When this occurs, multiple frames are "joined" together in a single "refresh cycle" and you get ... screen tearing.

I currently play at between 50-90 FPS @ 96Hz (1440P) and before that, 60-100 FPS @ 60Hz (1080P). In neither configuration have I experienced anything strange, so :shrug:

Like i said its not on every game, and ive not heard of issues or experienced coming from having too many frames, more so maybe not on the multiplayer focused games, playing 250fps dosnt effect Quake in the slightest, same for CSGO as far as i can tell, Dota2 ect and many others. But most if not all of the single player games with nice graphics that have no chance of hitting 150 but more like 80-90 from what i experience feel to "slow down" and you can see the sad.

Ive heard multiple people report the same thing so i wanted to see if others can share any experiences, wasnt going to go with system specs but i updated sig below.

Just turn on vsync for 144.... Don't know why you are saying 145 anyway since your monitor is only capable of the 144.

I really doubt you have bionic eyes to see a huge difference from 100/120Hz to 144Hz, being blunt here.

Btw since I see your post just above mine, if you are seeing "250 fps" in say CSGO or whatever game, then that's more than your monitor can actually show..... So that's probably why it looks **** poor. Set a frame rate cap ingame for CSGO (144 in command line) or enable vsync for 144 (I recommend the frame cap method personally).

He has been saying 'feels' the entire thread so far (2 posts, LOL!). Screen tearing does generally appear over the refresh rate... but its his butt dyno that seems to be going off with the hitching.
Do you get 45k posts from being experienced on many subjects or just posting on them? if you can not "feel" the difference in motion while watching this, then maybe you dont play video games? And if you play video games and still can not see the difference then i dont know what to say...

Just turn on vsync for 144.... Don't know why you are saying 145 anyway since your monitor is only capable of the 144.

I really doubt you have bionic eyes to see a huge difference from 100/120Hz to 144Hz, being blunt here.

The problem is in most games that have no hopes of hitting 145 fps can not be vsynced at 144. 145 is said because all FPS counts always sit on the target or 1 below. Now the topic isnt difference in 120/144hz cause visually theres near nothing and input wise aswell, but you can surely tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz. Im not sure i can better explain the problem then i have above.

At least ninjacore understood and gave his input.

Since you are being iffy with your words here, I corroborated ninjacore's affirmation... Glad you payed attention since you are all over the place with this about 60, 120, and 144, but absolutely against 120 to 144.

Btw, you can use vsync regardless if you hit the cap or not.... And frame caps help in games like CSGO. If you ever get to the experience of playing on a more professional level in such a game you will learn that spikes in fps, even if only causing minor and unnoticeable image distortion, is still distortion you don't want that could cost you $10,000+ or however much the tourny is worth.

I was trying to help ninjacore help you as he was going on screen tearing which is a VISIBLE phenomenon whereas you described, multiple times, how it "felt" but did not describe screen tearing. ;)

My post was never intended to disparage or put down anything you were saying...:shrug: :confused:

How are you getting 145+ FPS with a 270x?

I guess I could see it with some titles, but with those, I'm thinking you may not notice tearing because of how bad the game looks already?

Either way, maybe you're able to see the differences that most can't in 96 vs 144 vs bla bla bla. All I can say is I've been gaming for years across a variety of genres and hardware and I have never been able to notice the differences most people talk about aside from sudden FPS drops (60 down to sub-30).

How are you getting 145+ FPS with a 270x?

I guess I could see it with some titles, but with those, I'm thinking you may not notice tearing because of how bad the game looks already?

Either way, maybe you're able to see the differences that most can't in 96 vs 144 vs bla bla bla. All I can say is I've been gaming for years across a variety of genres and hardware and I have never been able to notice the differences most people talk about aside from sudden FPS drops (60 down to sub-30).

Dont know how to double quote so ill reply to Earthdog here, it is not screen tearing unless every definition of this has changed over the past years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing.

Ninjacore i dont think its the hz difference i can notice at all, i just think the visuals act funny when the target is not met according to what ive been told quite some time ago and what ive experienced in the past months. The link i posted above, some videos you can tell within a few seconds while looking at both, some it takes a couple plays and looking at each screen separately to notice very minimal.

So the 60 fps video looks far smoother then the 30 fps in a few of those clips on that page. What i am experienced at times is the 30 fps sensation while at 80 fps, which goes to what i said about about the visuals act funny.

Ill be surprised if anyone gets more then a few or half wrong.

http://massiveburrito.com/test/60vs30.html

Good games that run on at least 144 fps always without fail that have no issues = Quake, CSGO, Dota2, pretty much competitive games that are not so demanding minus Titanfall on High.

Games that have between 80 and 130 fps most of the time, and sometimes higher that appear to look like 30fps games = Metro Redux (both games) Shadows of Mordor, Insurgency, most other high graphic singe player games. Theres plenty more but cant think of them since they are a one play through thing months ago.

My findings lead me agree with what im told and think i know, or all these eye candy games with nice graphics and effects are running ****ty no matter what the fps is.

I am preparing for a epic week of Alien Isolation and Ryse: Son of Rome and want the best possible experienced i can get, i was hoping the 970s would be fully back in stock by now so i could just ditch this card before seeking information on the subject, but thats not happening.

Last edited:
I know its not screen tearing because YOU didn't describe that.. Ninjacore did. THAT is why I posted what I did was to make sure he was helping fix the same symptoms you are describing.

PS - I got 10/11 on that link of yours... it was pretty easy outside of the one I missed.

As far as multiple posts... see in every post there is a "+ (quote and a plus sign)? That is how you select the posts you want to quote. On the last post, hit reply with quote and they will all then be in the reply box. :)

Dont know how to double quote so ill reply to Earthdog here, it is not screen tearing unless every definition of this has changed over the past years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing.

Ninjacore i dont think its the hz difference i can notice at all, i just think the visuals act funny when the target is not met according to what ive been told quite some time ago and what ive experienced in the past months. The link i posted above, some videos you can tell within a few seconds while looking at both, some it takes a couple plays and looking at each screen separately to notice very minimal.

So the 60 fps video looks far smoother then the 30 fps in a few of those clips on that page. What i am experienced at times is the 30 fps sensation while at 80 fps, which goes to what i said about about the visuals act funny.

Ill be surprised if anyone gets more then a few or half wrong.

http://massiveburrito.com/test/60vs30.html

Good games that run on at least 144 fps always without fail that have no issues = Quake, CSGO, Dota2, pretty much competitive games that are not so demanding minus Titanfall on High.

Games that have between 80 and 130 fps most of the time, and sometimes higher that appear to look like 30fps games = Metro Redux (both games) Shadows of Mordor, Insurgency, most other high graphic singe player games. Theres plenty more but cant think of them since they are a one play through thing months ago.

My findings lead me agree with what im told and think i know, or all these eye candy games with nice graphics and effects are running ****ty no matter what the fps is.

I am preparing for a epic week of Alien Isolation and Ryse: Son of Rome and want the best possible experienced i can get, i was hoping the 970s would be fully back in stock by now so i could just ditch this card before seeking information on the subject, but thats not happening.

Could it be you're just experiencing FPS drops? Are you using FRAPS or just an in-game (non-logging) monitor?

I know its not screen tearing because YOU didn't describe that.. Ninjacore did. THAT is why I posted what I did was to make sure he was helping fix the same symptoms you are describing.

As far as multiple posts... see in every post there is a "+ (quote and a plus sign)? That is how you select the posts you want to quote. On the last post, hit reply with quote and they will all then be in the reply box. :)

Both baggies! :D

I just looked that line up from Super Troopers and realized I've been mis-quoting it for years. "Call Guinness" is what he says. LOL

i was hoping the 970s would be fully back in stock by now so i could just ditch this card before seeking information on the subject, but thats not happening.
So you are experiencing this 'hitching' when around a certain FPS, but you want to move to a multiple GPU setup which introduces more frame latency(and potential hitching) than single? I'm not sure that is a great idea unless you can fully lock it at 144 FPS/your refresh rate when going two cards. 2 970's are also overkill for 1080p gaming... Go single 980 is my suggestion there.

Could it be you're just experiencing FPS drops? Are you using FRAPS or just an in-game (non-logging) monitor?

Both baggies! :D

So you are experiencing this 'hitching' when around a certain FPS, but you want to move to a multiple GPU setup which introduces more frame latency(and potential hitching) than single? I'm not sure that is a great idea unless you can fully lock it at 144 FPS/your refresh rate when going two cards. 2 970's are also overkill for 1080p gaming... Go single 980 is my suggestion there.

I am using Fraps to check fps and take some screen shots in the games i experienced issues with. I wont say theres no FPS drops because that would be lying in 99% of cases, But if it were low 80s fps and dropped to mid 70s fps then back up for 80s and back down ect, should i even notice those fps spikes so much as to where i can compare it to 30 fps. Which comes to my question that would using 60hz possibly vsynced perhaps give a more smooth look?

Due to benchmark results on the new nvidia i was planning to go with a single 970 and just run it for like 3 years and accept its decreased performance over time. The 270x will probably just idle in a spare PC now that bit coin boards are 30 times faster for a fraction of the cost.

I just want to play all these fancy games and have a good time somewhat to watching a good film, but i cant stand things being unpleasant.

Back