• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sub 145 fps feels bad on 144hz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am using Fraps to check fps and take some screen shots in the games i experienced issues with. I wont say theres no FPS drops because that would be lying in 99% of cases, But if it were low 80s fps and dropped to mid 70s fps then back up for 80s and back down ect, should i even notice those fps spikes so much as to where i can compare it to 30 fps. Which comes to my question that would using 60hz possibly vsynced perhaps give a more smooth look?
Try it and report back... it seems that ninjacore or sobe, nor myself experience the same things you are for whatever reason.

Films are 24 FPS...but its the natural motion blur in movies versus gaming that doesn't have it (in most titles) that allow our mind/eyes not to see films as 'choppy'.

Could it be the mouse dpi and polling rate?

Because after 60fps sync'ed my eyes don't complain :)

Good question, could it be!!? Certainly is something that could be considered by someone with extensive knowledge on the subject. Using a old school Microsoft WMO like many players still playing arena shooters. The mouse is ancient technology but has a perfect size and sensor for its time which is why its still widely used.

The DPI is 400 which can not be changed, the polling rate is 125, which i planned to OC to 500 after those new GPUs arrived. Flawless in Quake i can say it might be slightly flawed in CSGO depending on setup, but nothing too different from near perfect that would suggest theres any reason for it to just completely **** itself in dozens of mainstream games.

Try it and report back... it seems that ninjacore or sobe, nor myself experience the same things you are for whatever reason.

Films are 24 FPS...but its the natural motion blur in movies versus gaming that doesn't have it (in most titles) that allow our mind/eyes not to see films as 'choppy'.

Shadows of Mordor is long uninstalled mostly cause of the gameplay, i will try with Alien Isolation now that i am almost finished downloading.

I dont mean to be a ***** about it, but a good single player game with the right experience is like watching an epic film or series, there are many things to factor in the experience before you go into gameplay. Graphics, Smoothness, Color Quality, all have mass bearings on an opinion just like someone watching a detailed scene in a movie in 1080p on a nice display, verse someone watching the SD 480p on there laptop.

Quality of everything can and will greatly affected your opinion! And i want to have a good one lasting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a new mouse with similar feel to the famed MIE 1.1/3.0, check out the Zowie FK1.

As for the question about if it should look like 30fps or playing on 60Hz, just no. If you have a 144Hz panel you are ahead of the curve anyway, no sense in using 60Hz for FPS games. 60FPS+ should NOT look like it's bordering choppy at 30, that it should not. And if you convert to 60Hz from using 144hz, the games will look horrible if you are used to 100Hz+.

I don't need it but went ahead and bought the Zowie FK1 to test out that sensor.... lol Amazon says it should be here Wednesday.

sweg

let us know if it's accurate.
The program says my mouse is 125Hz :-/

this guide to 500hz
with this link http://www.ngohq.com/news/15043-how-to-increase-usb-sample-rate-in-windows-vista-7-a.html
worked perfectly to OC to 500hz, use the program dimr rather then mouserate for check the hz at any moment. Tbh the mouse is a lot slower now then before, i feel that the sensitivity even if it feels slower is like faster but at the same time the distance you move isnt really far. Its hard to explain. But as for the mod/checking hz it def is pretty easy with a short read. Also checkout the mouse i post below.

If you want a new mouse with similar feel to the famed MIE 1.1/3.0, check out the Zowie FK1.

As for the question about if it should look like 30fps or playing on 60Hz, just no. If you have a 144Hz panel you are ahead of the curve anyway, no sense in using 60Hz for FPS games. 60FPS+ should NOT look like it's bordering choppy at 30, that it should not. And if you convert to 60Hz from using 144hz, the games will look horrible if you are used to 100Hz+.

Been waiting for this for over a year, its been in development easily a extra year or two. Mouse designed to be just like the WMO/I.E3 and better in every way http://ninox.org/products/mice/aurora/
This is the second thread from about a year ago as the development came closer to where it is now http://www.esreality.com/post/2671963 best of all its 40 euros which is 20-30 cheaper then most gaming mice with known defects.

As for the FPS/hz problem im going to put it down to FPS spikes for some reason even though they were constantly high enough, not sure why but Mordor just one of the many games that run pretty bad. Alien Isolation and Ryse: Son of Rome both ran near flawless on maxed graphics minus the AA not at more then 2/4

Might need to check that one out too then when it's released. Thanks for the link.

And if you convert to 60Hz from using 144hz, the games will look horrible if you are used to 100Hz+.
Just nonsense... but its always good to believe. Another nonsense is judging a game by its look, it will never result into the essence a real game is made with.

Just nonsense... but its always good to believe. Another nonsense is judging a game by its look, it will never result into the essence a real game is made with.

lol just realized, I worded that horribly. If you play at 30Hz or 60Hz, it looks TERRIBLE compared to playing at 100Hz+.

hmm, well I suppose that's where peoples' eyes come in. Some people see whereas some do not.

I tried switching back to 60Hz when I got my Catleap panel for my FPS games, Counter-Strike in particular, and quite frankly the 60Hz made it a nuisance since I had been playing on a BenQ 120Hz panel.

I did some of that reading stuff :-

There is a point where the human visual pathways become saturated, which IIRC is somewhere around 70-80fps. After that you can still perceive a difference in quality, but to borrow an economic term, you've hit the point of diminishing returns and it's a steep drop-off.

The value of going beyond 120Hz is in TDM (Time Domain Multiplexed) 3D. At 120Hz, TDM 3D gives an effective framerate of 60Hz per side, which some users find uncomfortable. (That's flickering 60Hz like a CRT, not just 60Hz update rate.) 144Hz gives 72Hz per side, enough to considerably reduce flicker. 240Hz gives 120Hz per side.

lol just realized, I worded that horribly. If you play at 30Hz or 60Hz, it looks TERRIBLE compared to playing at 100Hz+.
Ah, now i fully understand the matter... there is some problem with spelling. 2 times the wrong word by accident, well someday you may hit the correct word: Tangible.

Perhaps tangible is indeed what I was looking for :) If you don't try it, you won't believe it. Same as with keyboards, if you don't try mechanical for yourself, you may simply assume "it's just another keyboard.....".

Perhaps tangible is indeed what I was looking for :) If you don't try it, you won't believe it. Same as with keyboards, if you don't try mechanical for yourself, you may simply assume "it's just another keyboard.....".

Is a good way to put it, for those who dont know if you want to game in comfort at a high level then gear is easily much more important then internal hardware, i see these people posting there SLI 980s and bull****, spending 2k on graphics cards, sitting on there 50 dollar rubber keyboards and 42 inch wall mounted TVs with the worst possible quality picture there GPUs can project.

120hz and 144hz are 100% the same as far as visuals, the 144hz just like 1000hz polling rate on your mouse, is ever so slightly less ms input which is still single digit. Now for the skeptical people i will say 100% that the clarity and blur reduction is the selling point of high hz, if you ran fast games you will see without fail a much nicer and smoother gameplay experience, Quake, CSGO, Racing games, anything thats high speed. The biggest thing you could notice if you were in a position to test 60hz v 120+ would be to do fast 180 degree movements and such, the terrain and textures all along the way of your fast tracking will remain easier to define and understand, otherwise it will become just a blur on your path. You will not see a difference playing MMOs and MOBAs and card games like Hearthstone.

Same goes for mechanical keyboards, if you are playing slower speed MMO and just some random junk, you will not see the benefits of having a mechanical keyboard, but if you play some hardcore **** like Dota/Quake/CSGO/Starcraft pretty much all those games where you mass a few hundred APM (actions per minute) you will see that your movements become much sharper mainly due to the high feedback given from the switches. And when i say hardcore its all depending on your own skill level, if your a low tier player with no real care factor your not going to realize what you receive ect on better gear.

Thats all details ill bother with, if you are wanting to move to better PC gear feel free to ask questions, if you are skeptical and borderline hating on better gaming gear then dont bother posting cause everyone with any experience already knows you have no idea.

Back