• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1300 watts too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, My friend is shopping for a new PSU. My local Microcenter has the EVGA 1300G2 for about $155 after rebate and Amazon price match and the EVGA 1000G2 for around $140 after rebate and Amazon price match. He has an I7 and GTX 760 so he doesn't need something too big but is it worth paying an extra $15 for 30% more watts? I was thinking maybe it's good to be future proof but it looks like the trend from Intel and NVidia is coming out with new CPUs and GPUs that require less watts. Does he waste electricity if he get the larger PSU? Thanks

David

He could run his setup, overclocked on a 400w quality PSU...

So yes, it' too much!

Yes, he will waste electricity, as the PSU use will be roughly in the 15/20% when best efficiency is stay between 40 and 80% I believe.

^^He is correct. It's a good deal on that PSU, but completely unnecessary.

I have to say though, the wasted power due to efficiency would almost be inconsequential.

If he wants to stay on the EVGA SuperNova G2 platform (I recommend he does, absolutely amazing PSUs) then grab a 750W or 850W.
They're still overkill, but cost a decent bit less than the big boys you're talking about.

Could also look at a Seasonic G-550, great unit as well.

Back