• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.1 Beta Windows® Driver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.1 Beta Driver for Windows®

Due to a small number of isolated usability issues in last week's AMD Catalyst™ 14.9 driver that were reported by end users, we are providing an updated driver that addresses those usability issues. If you are not facing any problems we recommend you continue to use the latest AMD Catalyst™ 14.9 driver which is available at www.amd.com

Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.1 Windows Beta Driver

Resolved Issues

Driver installation randomly crashes or hangs
Intermittent black screen or BSOD on reboot after driver installation
: CCC intermittently crashes with error popup message
: Random hang or BSOD when launching Battlefield 4 in quad Crossfire™
: Random hang or BSOD when enabling or disabling quad Crossfire™
: Intermittent hang when launching Sniper Elite 3 with quad Crossfire™

Known Issues

: Dual AMD Radeon™ HD 7990 intermittent BSOD when upgrading from previous AMD Catalyst™ 14.4 driver – see "Important Notes" section below on how to resolve this issue
: Battlefield 4 intermittent crash or hang when changing game resolution in Mantle – If you experience this issue go to the games video options menu and select DirectX mode then change resolutions. Once that is done go back to Mantle mode to play the game at the new resolution you chose.

Latest Beta Release Notes

The issues weren't just Quad Xfire . I had then with Xfire also 2 cards not 4.

I had to reinstall old drivers - disable xfire before installing new drivers.. i dont know why but then it started working fine and i enabled crossfire again and still works.

I think somehow xfire was reenabling with a broken method?or something odd cuz i had to reinstall those 14.9's like 10x to make it work.

it would just lock the pc up and then the drivers were broken on the next reboot and nothing would load.

My experience so far with my 290/x's has not been great. I have been victim to black screens and very poor oc capabilities on 2 diff cards , poor Crossfire compatibility also .

Not quite the amazing experience i had with 7950 -7970 and 6970's in the previous 2 generations.

my 7970 Gigabyte WF3 is still one of my fav cards and still running hard and strong @ 1275/1850 in my HTPC without a single issue.

the 2 6950s i unlocked to 6970's have been going hard and oc'ed in my best friends pc for years now also 0 issues what so ever.

my 290x's have been kind of disappointing to me though and these drivers drove me nuts ! I really wish they would focus on fixing those blackscreen issues that keep coming back on a lot of people and if its fixable with a recent fw release they should announce it and post what fw and perhaps how for those who don't know.

Ive tried like 10+ Dif fw's and none are a fix for my poor OC and black screens when touching volts

Do you happen to use dual link dvi with your cards sf101? I know for a fact dual link dvi is glitchy on reference boards. I can cause the dl-dvi output to crash by adding voltage even without overclocking. With 2 different reference boards from 2 different manufacturers bought at 2 different times. The more voltage I add the quicker it happens. Afterburner aux voltage helps mitigate it.

For example I can use 100mv with 50mv aux but without the aux that much core voltage will cause screen corruption that eventually leads to my picture breaking down into 4 mirrored 720p pictures instead of 2560x1440.

Before I changed my pcb out on my monitor for a 120hz variant I would get black screens at about the same point I now get the 4x mirrored screen. If I have a single link monitor hooked up at the same time it does not corrupt/black screen.

This is a small sample size to be sure but it happens to each of my cards, individually or together, across multiple power supplies, multiple dl-dvi cables, and z87 and x99 platforms. As far as I know it is limited to dual link dvi, and I have never been able to make (or randomly had happen) a single black screen crash with the monitor/pcb combo, over the last 6 or so months I've had this pcb. It is also specific to the card displaying the picture. I can overvolt and overclock the secondary card to the moon and I get no corruption or anything, the card doesn't stop working. Just the dl-dvi glitches out.

I'm just wondering if what my monitor does as 4x 720p other monitor circuitry would just show as a black screen.

Honestly while attempting most of my overclocks i was on a 120hz Benq using Dual link DVI cable.

Right now i have 3 monitors - i think currently a DVI - DP - and dvi to HDMI adapterd monitor.

the 120hz is i think on the Display port now.

or example I can use 100mv with 50mv aux but without the aux that much core voltage will cause screen corruption that eventually leads to my picture breaking down into 4 mirrored 720p pictures instead

i think i've seen that.. when the oc starts to fail it splits into a bunch of screens or flickers and goes pink and then eventually blackscreens.

Since putting the triple monitors together i havent bothered with much more than 1050/1300 with very mild voltage bump.

I just gave up trying to oc these things .. perhaps i will make sure no DL-DVI is in play and try again.

do you know of those issues following over to multiple monitors?

I've only ever used dual monitors, one of which was an older single link 1680x1050. It exhibits none of the issues I get from overvolting. Even when both are hooked up I can distort the display on the dl-dvi while the sl-dvi remains normal.

That's why I run my cards at 1100/1300, that's what they will do on stock voltage and they have been absolutely rock solid stable through everything when kept at stock voltage.

But I've tested everything I can think of with regard to this issue. If I take trixx and crank up to 200mv it was distort and crash almost instantly, at idle, when running at around 25℃(core and vrm, watercooled). So it isn't heat or power draw. I've tried a corsair hx650 gold and my superflower built rosewell platinum, both of which are very high quality psus. 3 dl-dvi cables, one of which is a monster 24ga can't hardly bend it from monoprice. Problem moved with the platform upgrade from asrock extreme 6 z87 to Asus deluxe x99. Monitor shows no symptoms on an overclocked 7950. And again, two separate reference cards, one msi/elpida and one his/hynix. X16,x8, pcie 2.0/3.0.

The only constant is that both of my Hawaii cards hate voltage when using dual link dvi.

Edit: oh, and bioses. I've tried most of them.

Last edited:
i think your onto something.
I was playing BF4 last night with my card @ +100mv ,, it would blackscreen before @ +25mv no mater if i oc'ed it or not.

and i jacked the core speed to 1130 before it got too late to keep working on it.

Sofar your theory has been right.
I ran my 290x's in SLI @ 1150mhz all night last night in BF4 , Previously on DL-DVI like i said i could hardly even touch the voltage let alone stability to oc them.

Well, I got an accell displayport to dual link active adapter over the weekend too. Using it, I get black screen at pretty much identical settings to what I get corruption at over dual link dvi. Games keep running, computer doesn't hang, I just lose image. So whatever is broken about these cards appears to affect at least displayport and dual link dvi.

Gonna need to borrow some monitors over the next few weeks and see if hdmi is affected and if single link is fine across the board or if some monitors just tolerate a "dirty" signal better than others.

Interesting. i might have to try some more unorthodox tests then. In theory I can get my pixel clock high enough to run 1440p over a single link connection. Maybe I will have to try that and see how the monitor reacts.

Back