• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any thoughts on Alien Isolation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leurk

I loved the movies and this game seems pretty legit. I'm hoping it'll be a good scare.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

Horror/stealth games are not my things, so I won't be picking it up. I've heard some pretty varying reviews for the game though. I was listening to Rebel FM and they were discussing that the game is far too long (20+ hours) and it gets repetitive and/or the suspense turns into frustration.

Giantbomb gave it a 4/5 though: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/alien-isolation-review/1900-676/

I'm curious as well. "Pro" reviews seem to be at one side of the scale or the other. User reviews on the other hand seem to be largely favorable. Pretty sure I'll pick it up, but I may wait for a sale...or have a moment of weakness...haha

It looks slick, from what I've seen it nails the Alien movie atmosphere.
Highly contemplating it, and now since people have gotten the OR VR to work on it... oh boy I hope mine goes in the next batch out might have to pick it up.

Last edited:
It looks slick, from what I've seen it nails the Alien movie atmosphere.

This, if you are a fan of the Alien film and Aliens series then theres no way you can hate this game, but its pretty slow and survival based, you hardly fight the Alien but spend most of the time trying to avoid it while going through the ship trying to figure out a way to escape. 20 hours as quoted is a long time, i played only a few hours before realizing my new GPU was another 2 weeks off so im just going to wait for that for best experience, but GL and HF

Yeah it hits the Alien/Aliens films like dead nuts for the feel for it.

After having the look at it a bit, no major complaints and basically good things overall on it I got it. Really enjoy it but playing it at 11pm at night in the basement with the lights out next to the utility room freaks me out sometimes. Get a little jump. I don't want to give anything away but I'm in roughly to the flight recorder area. Had to call it after that last night.

Hardware wise, I think I have everything cranked on my R290 right now... and I know its down clocking during the game because its FPS locked at 30 if not mistaken. Got to put FRAPs back on my computer or see if I have V-Sync enabled somewhere.

With v-sync on it runs at 60fps for me. With it off I get 110-120fps maxed-out.

This is one of those games that you kinda half to play in ~1hour bursts, since the tension doesn't really release like most stealth games and the savepoints are rare enough that you're always on your toes. I'm about halfway through Medical now and it's genuinely terrifying. Creative Assembly actually managed to make something scarier than the Shalebridge Cradle, and the times when you're not being hunted and/or murdered the attention to detail of the first Alien movie is incredible. I've heard that the end gets a little drawn-out but I'm still enjoying it so far. Worth the ticket price for me at any rate as someone who liked the Riddick games as much as Dark Souls.

This game, and particular the last couple levels, really reinforces what makes the xenomorphs so terrifying. You're not a Space Marine, so forget everything about Aliens. You're Lambert, and you're going to die. All you can do is don't run, hide, and keep moving.

Last edited:
Well put grumperfish. Short gaming times seems to be the way for me with the game. Got a nice kiss from the xenomorph last night, but totally saw it coming. I was like... do i move, don't i move. It will go the other way im fine. Yup I was wrong lol.

I played this for about an hour last night and was exhausted afterwards. The tension is overwhelming at times. So 1 hour burst would be my suggestion as well. As for the level of detail, its like a trip right back to the 80's. The "high-tech" computers are all old school looking and they still sound like old floppy drive machines. All the details in the ship are spot on.

I'm running it on the machine in my sig and it automatically maxed all the settings out (more-so than I usually do myself) and it runs smooth as butter.

What I *don't* like, is how long it takes doors to open sometimes.... That extra second or two can push you over the edge when avoiding a pursuer.

So far all I have is a wrench.

It feels very Outlast ish right now. You have to avoid other people as well, and I'm not sure what type of combat is involved with them.

Good benchmark view on the game.

http://www.techspot.com/review/903-alien-isolation-benchmarks/

Its not a system hog at all. No wonder why my GPU was down-scaling in speed a bunch... up to half of the rated speed! Kinda cool if you ask me since it does look pretty decent.

As for contact, yeah its mostly avoid people, but doesn't mean you can't knock them off. Took out some people with my trusty wrench :)

I love horror survival, and I love Alien, so this is on my list to get soon. Is it more Amnesia where you don't really fight at all, or is there combat happening some but just not against the xenomorph?
There's options to use environmental hazards to your advantage at points, and you have some weapons to use on the usually-aggressive people and the friendly androids that are about. You can also use the alien as a weapon (ie: throw a noisemaker into a crowd of people), but mostly you'll want to avoid combat if possible to save on equipment and health. The alien can't be killed but the revolver will scare it off for awhile.
Lol no it won't, don't do this

There's options to use environmental hazards to your advantage at points, and you have some weapons to use on the usually-aggressive people and the friendly androids that are about. You can also use the alien as a weapon (ie: throw a noisemaker into a crowd of people), but mostly you'll want to avoid combat if possible to save on equipment and health. The alien can't be killed but the revolver will scare it off for awhile.
Lol no it won't, don't do this

You're spoiler made me lol. I can just see myself doing this, only to realize the mistake I made...

You're spoiler made me lol. I can just see myself doing this, only to realize the mistake I made...
Flares are actually good at distracting it, although by the time I think to use one it's usually staring at me and screaming.

What I *don't* like, is how long it takes doors to open sometimes.... That extra second or two can push you over the edge when avoiding a pursuer.
I actually like this. Imagine you're in a highly dangerous situation and you're flooded with adrenaline. "Simple" things like opening doors suddenly become much harder to pull off. Not to mention that some of the doors and generators involve fairly complex routines that would take time even if you weren't being actively hunted by monsters. If you've ever been in a scary or rage-filled situation in real life you'll find that things you can normally do without much effort can be difficult at best when your heart starts pounding and higher brain functions take a backseat. I think I'd give myself a heart attack trying to play this game with VR goggles.

Astronauts on the ISS can become disoriented easily and take much longer to perform tasks, so it's safe to assume a mechanic in an unfamiliar space station would have similar issues even with the inclusion of gravity.

Counter-intuitively, and I didn't figure this out until Medical, it's best not to crouch everywhere. You'll move slower which ends up tethering the alien to you. Only crouch if someone or something's nearby (other than hiding under tables) and you'll move faster so you're less likely to be hunted down. On the opposite end, never, ever, sprint anywhere.

Back