• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E7200 joy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

When Intel was turning out CPUs during the socket 775 generation I was using only AMD products in my builds so I never did any overclocking with the Core 2 processors. Recently, I built a system for a customer and took her old system in trade to offset some of the cost to her. It has an E7200 CPU on an Intel Asus P5QL Pro. I replaced the stock cooler with a Rocketfish rebranded CM Hyper TX3. I was really surprised what a great overclocker it is. The stock frequency is 2.55 ghz and I was able to easily get it to 3.8 ghz on 1.425 volts. Core temps maxed out at 75c but of course that's a quite safe number for Intel's. Anyway, that's essentially a 50% overclock!

Last edited:
They are a lot of fun Trents. I've been getting my feet wet with some of them and man o man some of them clock like a scared cat. I have and e2180 here that I can double the base speed on.

What really got my attention was that the motherboard will let you use a FSB of over 400 mhz. And it's really just a low to mid range board at best. Not even any heat sinks on the VRM components.

While impressive regardless, the FSB is attached to the Northbridge, which is heatsinked.

And I have noticed mine can get quite hot if I'm pushing things hard with some extra juice.

They sure do!

Its still quite impressive that an unheatsink VRM area holds its own. Now, the C2D's were not power hungry really, but still. WTG Trents!

It seems your E7200 performs similarly to mine. They do overclock pretty well. I was impressed by what mine could do when I was trying to find its maximum overclock.

3.8GHz: 1.384V (1.40V)
3.9GHz: 1.424V (1.44375V)

Got me all excited! May have to load one up and give it a go.

Congrats on your nice chip trents!

There's an E7200 on ebay right now for $13.98 w/free shipping.

Back