• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

squeeze out some more or call it done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyborg

You can see my system specs in my sig and also a link to the entire build.
Believe it or not, this is the best system I've ever build and after 4 years it's still ticking like a swiss automatic watch.

I decided to wait for the Skylake and DDR4 to build a new system, the question is: can I do anything to squeeze out a bid more from my current system?

It starts to get low frame rates in some of the newer games, but more importantly, I do a lot more video editing and rendering and that takes its sweet time.

Is there a cpu upgrade that would be worth it?
Memory (how much and what kind)
Craphic card?

If it's really worth it, I would be willing to spend around $300

Looking forward to my next build, it looks like there is not much I can keep from this build, It would be a shame to have it collect dust.
Any idea how much I could sell it for?

Thanks for any help.

I would grab a GTX 970, as that can be easily carried over to a Skylake build.
The i7-920, especially at 4GHz+, is still very capable for new games.

If you're expecting you'll do even more rendering, look at a Haswell-E setup.

It starts to get low frame rates in some of the newer games, but more importantly, I do a lot more video editing and rendering and that takes its sweet time.

If you're doing a lot of rendering and vid editing then X99 is for you. Grab a 5820K and an ASRock X99 Extreme 4.

Is there a cpu upgrade that would be worth it?

Yes. See above.

Memory (how much and what kind)

For you? 16GB would be my recommendation.

Craphic card?

Depends on whether the software you use works best with Nvidia or AMD. Since you're also gaming, high end is a good bet. GTX 970 or R9 290.

If it's really worth it, I would be willing to spend around $300

Need MOAR money!

Need MOAR money!

LOL isn't that always the problem?

I would grab a GTX 970, as that can be easily carried over to a Skylake build.
The i7-920, especially at 4GHz+, is still very capable for new games.

If you're expecting you'll do even more rendering, look at a Haswell-E setup.

That 970 looks really like a good option. I guess I'll wait until it gets back in stock and try that first. Waiting for the Skylake is a good idea I think, because even if I won't decide to go with that, the Haswell-E will still have come down in price, especially the MBs I was looking at.
For now I guess the 970 is it.

Thanks

Drop any of the 1366 hex Xeons into your set up the L5639 and X5650 are 60ish dollars and it out preforms just about everything mainstream.

If you have the room to keep the computer, why not have it crunch data for SETI, or help medical research by doing some protein folding, like Rosetta :). Go to http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ and look at their projects, you can probably find something that appeals to you.

If he has room AND he has the $ to pay a power bill for a PC constantly at 100% load AND he doesn't want to sell this rig when he upgrades.
I think folding is not a good thing to suggest to the average user. But I applaud you for backing the concept yourself.

I think folding is not a good thing to suggest to the average user.

So, OP is just average?

I don't know that OP is average, but frankly I don't see any reason why anyone shouldn't do some folding or some SETI if it appeals to them - which is all I suggested, that OP look. If you take a look at the average output of the average computer on BOINC, most of them are far from being an advanced set up. Many computers return hardly any units a day, but the whole point is they all contribute a little bit and as a whole we can move the world. It's like saying, if you can't give lots of money or time to charity you shouldn't give anything at all.

And what is wrong with folding that you think someone shouldn't do it? I wasn't suggesting that OP sell all his worldly possessions, move to Africa and care for ebola patients.

+1 to a nice cheap Xeon hexa that can be easily found on ebay in the price range listed. You could probably find a nice 12gb set of ram to go with it, while keeping within your cash limit. My computer is old, has no bells and whistles anymore, but I still don't feel the need to upgrade. Maybe when ddr4 drops, and those octo cores drop a bit :D

Well, I finally got my new GTX970 SC and installed it. All I can say is: WOW
This card has put new life into my system, that might make it last for another year.

As an example:
The Unigine Vally Benchmark with settings: Render: Direct3D11 Mode: 1920x1200 8xAA fullscreen Preset Custom Quality Ultra

with the original GTX470 FPS: 21.5 - Score: 901 - Min FPS: 3.1 - Max FPS: 37.8

and the GTX970SC FPS:53.0 - Score: 2218 - Min FPS: 21.9 - Max FPS: 99.8

I'm very happy with my decision and again, thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, I used to be an avid folder at dslreports, running 6 computers 24/7 and paying a ridiculous monthly power bill because the a/c never stopped and couldn't cool the room enough. I'm done with folding for the past 5 years and have no urge to get back into it.

Since your last foray into Folding the climate has changed. GPU folding has become a focus for the folks at Stanford. 2P and 4P are seeing less activity as the shift away from BigAdv has proceeded. You might find that your current GPU will crank out some awesome work compared with your past efforts. :attn:

Back